A bit of credit for rafa - Owen injured again.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:56 am

boodiddy1 wrote:The year is 2010 and little bluenose Duncan is talking to his bluenose Dad.
SON "Dad, my mates in school told me that Liverpool won the European Cup for the 5th time in 2005 ? are they right dad?

DAD "Yes son, it's true, but they were dead lucky son, all the way through the tournament"

SON "Why dad?"

DAD "Well in the group stages ?.."

SON "What dad, did they have a team from Azerbaijan, Israel, and Wales in their group?"

DAD "Well no, they had Monaco, Deportivo la Coruna, and Olympiakos"

SON "Well they still sound like 3 easy teams to me dad"

DAD "Actually Monaco reached the final the year before, Olympiakos had won their league 7 times out of the previous 8 seasons, and Deportivo finished above the galacticos of Real Madrid in their league".

SON "Jeez dad, that sounds like quite a difficult group then".

DAD "yeh I suppose your right son, but they were still lucky ? it took a mi**** shot by Gerrard against Olympiakos to get through".

SON "oh is that the goal were your hero Andy Gray goes berserk shouting "you beauty, you beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!!!!"

DAD "yes son it is"

SON "oh ok. Well what happened in the last 16 dad, who did they draw?"

DAD "Bayer Leverkusen"

SON "Bayer who?"

DAD "Exactly son, but they had beaten Real Madrid 3-0 at home, and won their group that included Dinamo Kiev and Roma too."

SON "bloody hell dad, they sound good".

DAD "yes, I suppose you're right son"

SON "so did they win on away goals or something"

DAD "errrrr, no, they won both legs 3-1 each"

SON "oh ? well who next then dad"

DAD "Juventus"

SON "How the f#ck did they get past them Dad?"

DAD "Well they did ? they won 2-1 at home, and cruised to a 0-0 away draw without Juve having hardly any chances".

SON "were Juve sh#t at that time ? had all their decent players gone or something?"

DAD "well actually they still had players like Del Piero, Nedved, Ibrahimovic, Thuram, and Buffon in the side. And they won Serie A a few weeks later."

SON "wow, they beat the Italian champions elect ? which **** easy team did they get in the semi then?"

DAD "Chelsea"

SON "Chelsea ? for f#cks sake ? what a **** easy draw ? they've won nothing, Everton have won more than them".

DAD "well that season they won the Premiership and League Cup but the Red ***** didn't let them score in 180 minutes of football"

SON "Jesus Christ ? so Liverpool beat the English Champions elect too"

DAD "yes son, they bloody well did".

SON "so after all that I suppose all the good teams had been knocked out"

DAD "not quite son, AC Milan awaited them in the final"

SON "no way ? aren't they the 2nd most successful team in the competition's history".

DAD "yes son they are"

SON "so were Liverpool lucky because Milan had all their good players out with injuries"

DAD "no ? they had Shevchenko, Crespo, Maldini, Nesta, Cafu, Kaka, Stam, Dida, Gattuso, Pirlo, and Seedorf".

SON "your 'avin a laff"

DAD "it gets worse son, Milan were cruising 3-0 up at half-time".

SON "what happened, did they have 3 men sent off in the second half ? how did Liverpool get back into the game?"

DAD "no, Milan had no men sent off, the Red ***** scored 3 goals in 6 minutes"

SON "against the best defence in Europe"

DAD "yes!!!, against the best defence in Europe"

SON "so what happened next - extra time?"

DAD "yes son, and Dudek made the luckiest save ever to stop a Shevchenko shot from a yard"

SON "why was it lucky dad ? did it hit him on the :censored:, nose, shoulder or something"

DAD "no son, his hand"

SON "well aren't goalies meant to save shots with their hands"

DAD "yeah but that's besides the point"

SON "then what"

DAD "penalties!"

SON "English teams are :censored: at penalties"

DAD "not this f#ckin time they weren't ? they only missed one. And that's how Liverpool became the luckiest team to win the European Cup".

SON "but I bet when they brought the cup home there was hardly anyone to watch as all Liverpool fans live anywhere but Liverpool you say. How many was there, 5,000 or so?"

DAD "1 million people lined the streets".

SON "so let's get this straight dad ? Liverpool had 3 good teams in their group, they then knocked out a team who had beaten Real Madrid 3-0, they then knocked out the future Serie A champions, then knocked out the future Premiership champions, before coming back from 3-0 down to beat the 2nd most successful club in Europe. And then the whole population of Liverpool came out to welcome them home!!!!

DAD "that about sums it up son"

SON "dad?"

DAD "yes son"

SON "can I have a Liverpool shirt for my birthday next week, and can you stop calling me Duncan ? I'm Stevie from now on

This cheered me up. Brought the memories back. C'mon rafa get us back on track. We've been one of europe's best for a while. Don't :censored: up this summer.

That is Class!  :bowdown
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:04 pm

LFC2007 wrote:He may have done a better job for us than Ngog and co but that's by the by, because 1) He jumped at the chance to join the Manc's, and 2) It was always questionable whether he'd make the necessary impact had he joined us instead, partly because of his injury record. We should have signed somebody else to play up front, though.

agree totally with this post.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:He may have done a better job for us than Ngog and co but that's by the by, because 1) He jumped at the chance to join the Manc's, and 2) It was always questionable whether he'd make the necessary impact had he joined us instead, partly because of his injury record. We should have signed somebody else to play up front, though.

Woah there Ben , you were only saying the other week that Rafa should have signed Owen .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

Woah there Ben , you were only saying the other week that Rafa should have signed Owen .

I gave Owen as an option when all of you said there was nobody about that we could have signed.
My honest opinion is we should have gone for him regardless of his injury record.

But i can see why Rafa ignored signing him, what i cant see is why he didnt sign any striker.
Ben Patrick

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

I gave Owen as an option when all of you said there was nobody about that we could have signed.
My honest opinion is we should have gone for him regardless of his injury record.

But i can see why Rafa ignored signing him, what i cant see is why he didnt sign any striker.

I said that there was nobody about for the money we had . Now not forgetting Ben that players wages have now (since last summer) become part of the transfer budget .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Theres always money, Babel coulda given us funds, thats what bugs me still...

But thats another topic, can't credit Rafa for not signing someone who we didnt want and prefferred somewhere else, thats just bizarro
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:I said that there was nobody about for the money we had . Now not forgetting Ben that players wages have now (since last summer) become part of the transfer budget .

mate we have been through this a few times and i disagree, yes wages are taken into consideration but Rafa has still signed other players.
A striker was a key area that needed filling, he didnt fill it.
Whether we should have signed Owen or not is a different matter.
I can see why people would say we shouldnt have but i cant see how anyone could argue against us not signing any striker.
It should have been a priority.
Ben Patrick

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 pm

kazza wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Vowing to never try and enter any kind of footballing debate with Hiemdall again. He's just an utterly f*ckling cluless pleb amongst our fanbase.

I came to that conclusion November 2006. It could have been October 2006 but I decided to give him the benifit of doubt. :D

:bowdown
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:47 pm

DrPepe wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:To be fair to Eggnog though
:laugh:

opinions opinions - i'd say he a youngster who's getting more appearances and more goals than last season - thats improvement

he 's not going to turn into uber-confident clinical finisher overnight - he's still at the "he has potential" stage

Sorry but Eggnog will never make the grade but I am happy with the goals he is scoring even though they are all tap ins. I think in this day and age a striker needs to offer a bit more like scoring a goal form further out than 2 yards and the ability to beat a few defenders but what the hell do I know.

As for Crouch, Keane and Bellamy all improving under Rafa, if they improved so much under Rafa and are currently so good, can someone remind me why they all left???

In any case don't all players improve as they get older? I would think that is the norm as they get more experienced etc.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

Ah so it's not a bug up your :censored: rather a splinter from that fence you're sitting on.
Bloody hell mate, you change your mind quicker than a weather-wane. Whatever else people say about me I stick by my opinions and don't just follow the herd.
heimdall

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

heimdall wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

Ah so it's not a bug up your :censored: rather a splinter from that fence you're sitting on.
Bloody hell mate, you change your mind quicker than a weather-wane. Whatever else people say about me I stick by my opinions and don't just follow the herd.

What are you going on about ?

I would have signed Owen regardless of his injury record.
We needed a striker and he was going on a free.
Because i can see why others didnt want him doesnt mean i agree with them.
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

clown - first class wind up clown and clueless as well
Benny The Noon

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

kazza wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Vowing to never try and enter any kind of footballing debate with Hiemdall again. He's just an utterly f*ckling cluless pleb amongst our fanbase.

I came to that conclusion November 2006. It could have been October 2006 but I decided to give him the benifit of doubt. :D

How do you put on that ignore post thing on again? I should have done that from the start.  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:20 pm

He was bound to get one right sooner or later :p
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby teamleader1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Id just like to give Rafa the full credit he, and he alone deserves for this feast of football being served up at mighty Wigan  :(
We play the biggest load of shyte in the Prem bar none
Its a fkn joke!

10 mil to get shut sounds cheap to me  :angry:
teamleader1

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion