A back-up striker/ partner for torres - Someone like carlton cole

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:51 pm

GYBS wrote:was it 12 ok cheers - i know it was the same as players like berbatov and yakubu etc and just behind players like bent with ronaldo and drogba way ahead that season .

I tell you what GYBS, you mentioning Bent there got me thinking. I know I've been a fairly recent convert to his fanclub although I've said on here many times that I rate him, but the season you are speaking of there where Kuyt was "just behind" him, Bent was playing for Charlton FFS.

I offer this up not as a criticism of Kuyt as it's not the point, I'm simply making the point that given his record how on Earth one of the big clubs didn't take Bent in the Summer. He has scored goals at roughly one in two starts (infact slightly better) in the Premier League over a sustained period, despite playing for garbage teams.

Even if the "just behind" stat proves to be wrong, it really does astound me that a player such as that could be allowed at age 25 or whatever the feck he is to toddle off to Sunderland for 10 million quid. That he's scored five goals in six starts in the league there is no surprise, and no doubt whichever manager of a big club pays 20 million quid for him over the next 18 months will expect the fans of whichever club he manages to applaud him for his forsight. Unbelieveable really.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Well i guess after that season charlton went down and he went to spurs and had an up and down record - im guessing when you look at the top four teams and then look at the strikers they have would he be number one ahead of any of the players they have ? maybe arsenal who if im right were interested in him but didnt like the price . Will he go to another big four club in the next 18 months ? not really sure tbh as in some ways they may look at him at spurs and decide he wasnt much of a success there but succeeds at the smaller clubs where he is the focal point and seems to thrive on it .

Would you buy him and play him instead of torres - i dont think anyone would - would you buy him to play alongside torres ? i dont think that would work

Would he work at man utd ? not sure but he wouldnt be a first choice , same at chelsea in fact he would be forth choice there , arsenal is the place ihe would do well at .

I like you think he is a very good striker with a very good goalscoring record .

56 goals in 138 games for ipswich

37 goals in 79 games at charlton

25 goals in 79 games at spurs

and off course 5 in 6 for sunderland

Is he a player that thrives on playing for the smaller clubs and not so much with the bigger clubs like a number of players have in the past (doesnt make them bad players) ? who knows maybe but i dont think we will ever see him at a big four club now .

But i think he himiself will be happy playing week in week out and scoring goals for sunderland .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Starts is where it's at GYBS when you look at his record. Not three minute cameos at Tottenham where he's brought on to run the clock down. Goals to starts, then you get the true picture.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Ill give you his starts and subs at spurs Mick may help his stats but i will raise you - the amount of goals he has got from the spot :;):
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Well all strikers count their spot kicks mate, and I've long maintained they shouldn't. We had a striker ourselves not long ago who couldn't hit a cows erse with a banjo and then he scored two penalties in one match which made his stats look a lot better.

As for Bent, yes he has taken some spot kicks (he scored one yesterday for instance) but given that the vast majority of his starts have been for Charlton, I would be surprised if his spot kick totals are as big as they would be playing for a big club. Quite simply, it really doesn't matter which you look at it his stats are excellent bordering on incredible. Now I've never been a fan of judging a player by stats, you judge with your eyes not with a calculator, but sometimes the numbers are beyond refute. When you add in the fact that he is quick, strong, excellent in the air, leads the line well and generally a player who stays injury free, you have a 10 million pound striker that was a bargain.

He looked like a bargain to me at the start of the season, and he looks like an even bigger one now.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:28 am

Mick was just messing - have already said he is a good consistent goalscorer .

This place is just for you mate

For Mick

Enjoy :;): :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:30 am

that robbie keane fella looks half decent :oops:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:01 pm

stmichael wrote:that robbie keane fella looks half decent :oops:

Please sign him up asap Rafa (or Purslow or whoever is in charge of transfers)! If he can score four goals in one game for a team like Spurs, I honestly reckon he can score at least eight in a game for us  :D
JamCar05

Postby Madmax » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:45 pm

that was just a one of for keane.. He has paid for all other apps where he has'nt scored..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 am

I see Adriano has been offered to Spurs on a free in January.

I know his attitude has been questionable but would you take him on a free?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:47 am

On a year loan? Hell yeah.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:16 pm

stmichael wrote:I see Adriano has been offered to Spurs on a free in January.

I know his attitude has been questionable but would you take him on a free?

A quality player on a free would be a rarity. Voronin or Adriano? Degen or Adriano? Which could make the difference?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Adriano will probably land in Milan ,but how about Zaki from Wigan which is currently with no Team and being persued by Pompie? he really impressed me last season.
only me
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion