41 reasons to laugh at mancs - In preparation for sunday

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:53 pm

As published on the official site  :D

The mere utterance of the words Manchester and United in the same sentence will never be warmly welcomed on Merseyside but Liverpoolfc.tv can think of at least 41 reasons why we should smile when we hear them...
(the following are listed in no specific order)

1. Kenny telling reporters they'd get more sense out of his baby daughter than Fergie, following a 3-3 draw at Anfield - April 1988

2. Lou Macari leaving Celtic and turning us down in favour of United. Look what you could have Lou! - December 1972

3. The four replica European Cup's being waved enthusiastically in the away section at Old Trafford (rumour has it that 18 League titles were confiscated at the turnstiles!) - January 2002

4. Liverpool leading United 2-0 at Anfield and the Kop singing 'there's only one United and that's a chocolate biscuit! - Boxing Day 1979

5. Razor Ruddock's bullet header past Schmeichel to complete the never-to-be-forgotten three-goal comeback - January 1994

6. Nigel Clough's two goals in the same game - January 1994

7. United finishing fourth in the one-horse title race of 1985/86 - May 1986

8. The Manchester Evening News proudly publishing the league table after just one game of the 1989/90 season. Why? Because United were top following a 4-1 victory over Arsenal! - August 1989

9. Ron Atkinson's decision to let Peter Beardsley leave United - March 1983

10. Beardsley's hat-trick for Liverpool in a 4-0 Anfield rout - September 1990

11. Souey bursting the Anny Road net with a first time rocket past Paddy Roche. It was his first goal for the Reds and set us up for a 3-1 win - February 1978

12. 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' ringing around Anfield as United lose the league to Leeds - April 1992

13. Murphy's free-kick ending ten years of hurt - December 2000

14. 3,000 or so Scousers out-singing 64,000 Cockneys at Old Trafford - every season

15. THAT goal by John Arne Riise - November 2001

16. Gary Neville's laughable act of bravado when attempting to goad a 10,000 strong army of travelling Reds from the safety of the Old Trafford pitch - January 1999

17. Big Jans Milk Cup screamer that has never been seen on TV - November 1985

18. Steve Bruce deflecting a McManaman shot past his own keeper - March 1995

19. Dusty Whelan and the sweetest of Wembley winners - March 1983

20. Fowler 'the prowler' overshadowing Cantona's much-hyped return - October 1995

21. Whelan scoring the greatest own-goal ever and the fact it didn't matter - March 1990

22. Old Trafford resounding to anti-Scouse songs - whenever United are on the telly

23. Rob Jones keeping Ryan Giggs in his pocket on his Reds debut at Old Trafford - October 1991

24. Kenny's mazy dribble through the United defence and subsequent finish in the FA Cup semi at Maine Road - April 1979

25. Fergie deliberately forgetting to mention Liverpool whenever he talks about Europe's most successful clubs - every time a Champions League game comes around

26. Walshy's last-gasp semi-final leveller at Goodison - April 1985

27. United fans claiming they didn't care about the Worthing Cup Final. Poor losers! - March 2003

28. Gordon Milne sending the Kop into raptures with his late New Years Day winner - January 1966

29. Stevie G's Anfield belly flop - March 2001

30. Brucie saving a Frank Stapleton penalty at Old Trafford - April 1982

31. A young Michael Owen scoring a goal then showing he's not afraid to put his foot in - April 1998

32. Jockey Hansen sprinting the length of the Maine Road pitch in celebration after equalising in the FA Cup semi-final - April 1979

33. Speedie silencing the Stretford End with a goal on his debut - February 1991

34. Big Ron from Old Swan, his year round tan and full-length leather. Symbolic of a glorious era when empty spaces at Old Trafford outnumbered the prawn sandwich brigade - June 1981 to November 1986

35. Mancunian striker Alf Arrowsmith scoring two against his hometown team as the Red close in on the title - April 1964

36. Barthez flapping at a cross in front of the Kop and Owen punishing him by heading home to complete a 3-1 victory - November 2001

37. Shanks laughing off Matt Busby's cheeky bid to sign a young Tommy Smith and Chris Lawler - early 1960s

38. Ruddock winding Cantona up by continually turning his collars down and provoking a retaliation that earned the Frenchman a booking - October 1995

39. Louis Bimpson's finest hour, when he scored three in a 4-4 Anfield thriller - August 1953

40. Goals from Keegan and Heighway sealing a 2-0 home win. Nothing remarkable about that but come the end of the season United were relegated and this result obviously contributed to that - December 1973

41. The display of total football from arguably the greatest Reds side ever during an emphatic 3-0 festive stroll at Old Trafford - Boxing Day 1978

:D  :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:56 pm

stmichael wrote:2. Lou Macari leaving Celtic and turning us down in favour of United. Look what you could have Lou! - December 1972

My personal fave.

You 'orrible little idiot Lou......

Ha Ha Ha
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:41 pm

great post and memories (some before my time), I remember Whelans o.g. amazing. If it'd had cost though I'd have shot him.

My favourite is probably beating them to give Leeds the title. We were SO bad then that it was as close to the league title as we could wish.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm

The Jan 1994 - game (as in #5 and #6) is one of my absolute favourites of all times. I bet Cantona considered a kung-fu-kick allready then, but took an extra look on Razor and thought: "Nah.., I think I`ll saver that one for later"   :D
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:53 pm

38 was my fav I remember Molby doin that :cool:  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:55 pm

ahh good read :)
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:17 pm

<<20. Fowler 'the prowler' overshadowing Cantona's much-hyped return - October 1995>>>

Fowler was amazing in that match (i think it ended 2-2).  His 2nd goal where he pushed gary neville to score from a tight angle was great.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:25 pm

:D Beardsleys hatrick-Never seen Fergie look so frightened during a game ever. Barnes run them ragged that day. And no25- "Fergie deliberately forgetting to mention Liverpool whenever he talks about Europe's most successful clubs - every time a Champions League game comes around " he also left Alan Hansen at home in world cup 86- B**t**d!! Words cant describe the hatred i have for him.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:35 pm

stmichael wrote:34. Big Ron from Old Swan, his year round tan and full-length leather. Symbolic of a glorious era when empty spaces at Old Trafford outnumbered the prawn sandwich brigade - June 1981 to November 1986

For those who were around in the 1980s, this will ring very true, when UTD were often only getting 22,000 or so for home games.

Of course, a lot more would come out of the woodwork when UTD got to a cup final like in 1985, but in the bread and butter of the league UTD had nothing like the crowds they had now.

UTD fans love rubbing our nose in it, and to that I remind them of their own problems in the 1970s and 1980s, but then again, most of those UTD fans were supporting Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal back then.

1985-1986 was priceless: UTD won the first 10 games or so in the league, yet still finished MILES off us at the end!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:38 pm

number 41 my absolute favourite we were pure class
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:42 pm

Mikz wrote: :D Beardsleys hatrick-Never seen Fergie look so frightened during a game ever. Barnes run them ragged that day. And no25- "Fergie deliberately forgetting to mention Liverpool whenever he talks about Europe's most successful clubs - every time a Champions League game comes around " he also left Alan Hansen at home in world cup 86- B**t**d!! Words cant describe the hatred i have for him.

Too true Mikz. Ferguson has always hated Liverpool. Even before he went to UTD and had a brief spell as Scotland manager, he was accusing Scottish Liverpool players of feigning injury.

I hate they way he airbrushes Liverpool's history, like never giving them the credit they deserved for their European success, which he knows is far greater than his own.

I heard a dumb Man UTD pundit on the radio the other day, saying that it was easier to win the European Cup in the 1970s and 1980s than it is now.

Bollock.s. Back then you had to win your league, or be the holders of the cup, to qualify for the competition. You then went into 2 leg rounds, where you could be eliminated on away goals without losing a game.

Nowadays teams regularly get through the first group stages of the CL despite losing 2 or 3 games.

UTD were a great side in 98/99, but their cocky fans should remember that they wouldn't have even got into the competition under the old rules.

UTD fans accuse us of living in the past? I grew up in the 1980s hearing Scum fans harp on about Busby and Best, and even modern fans are still talking about 99: now almost 6 years ago and fading further and further away.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mikz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:32 pm

I didnt realise that jbg -they only finished second the year they won the european cup  :D Il just make a wee note of that for future reference. Theres even a program on tv all about the glorious 99 :angry: next week. Yes fergie hates us ,remember when we done his great aberdeen team too. Maybe that started the rot. How many years on and hes still bullying refs,threatening, etc good manager yes but disgraceful human being. And to call him "SIR" Alex,makes me wonder why Bob Paisley was never knighted. ???
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:47 pm

Totally off topic, but they give the knighthoods, MBE's and OBE's out like they are going out of fashion these days.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:48 pm

number 4 is an absolute classic

and when were OBEs and MBEs ever in fashion leon?

:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:26 am

stmichael wrote:17. Big Jans Milk Cup screamer that has never been seen on TV - November 1985

i remember it well, i was standing on the kop, he crunched whiteside near the halfway line, ran forward with all the pace that molby could muster when he wasnt being chased round town in his merc, and hit a shot that gary bailey said later 'would have broke his hand if he had got to it.'

happy days
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion