35 million to spend on new players?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:12 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Figo: I want Reds move Jun 13 2005

He's another one who can fu'ck right off .Two years ago he would have been worth considering ,mind you even then he still didn't have any bottle .No way should LFC be a rest home for players way past their best and looking for a final tilt at football in the top flight .   
:angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:16 pm

The last time I seen Figo play was in euro 2004, and he was :censored: sh.ite, I havent watched him this season and I dont think he's played much for Real anyway, I dont want him at Liverpool F.C.  no matter how much experience he's got hes just to old.
Pellegrino springs to mind :down:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:18 pm

can't sign figo. he's still in the big brother house :D

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:19 pm

stmichael wrote:To me, the possible signing of crouch is interesting. While many are worried about him not being a top level player, i personally think it's a clever signing. If you ask me, as a footballer, Crouch is better than Drogba and he cost £24m. Rafa signs players to do particular jobs and doesn't need these so called great players. He works with players who listen to his ideas and follow them. So while we might not sign players with huge reputations we will get a well balanced and a clever team who will challange for big trophies.

In Rafa we trust. :bowdown

Do you actually think Crouch is better than Drogba?

That's funny :p
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:25 pm

banana wrote:
stmichael wrote:To me, the possible signing of crouch is interesting. While many are worried about him not being a top level player, i personally think it's a clever signing. If you ask me, as a footballer, Crouch is better than Drogba and he cost £24m. Rafa signs players to do particular jobs and doesn't need these so called great players. He works with players who listen to his ideas and follow them. So while we might not sign players with huge reputations we will get a well balanced and a clever team who will challange for big trophies.

In half a season in a very poor Southampton side who finished bottom, Crouch scored as many goals as Didier Drogba managed all season for the Premiership champions. It's fact. Drogba cost £24m, nearly five times what we supposedly offered for Crouch.

Was Drogba worth £24m? You can argue until you are blue in the face (no pun intended) about how good an 'individual' Drogba is. But he was key to Chelsea's tactics in that they could use him as a target man if needs be. Crouch has better touch than Drogba, is better in the air and would generally let others around him thrive.

Just my opinion like.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:48 pm

Couple of points. I think Drogba is a top class striker who will go close to being top goalscorer in the Prem next season if Chelsea persist with him. It's funny when we sign guys who come in and don't settle it's "remember Pires/Henri/Reyes etc etc". When players at another club take a season to really settle then immediately they are sh!te and a terrible buy. At Marseilles Drogba was a fantastic player and looked to me like a bloke a bit short of confidence last term when he came back from injury. He'll come back if you ask me. Put it this way, if he was for sale at around 15m I would absolutely take Mourinho's arm off at the elbow if I was Rafa. I know lots will disagree with this view but there you go, it's all about opinions. WE'll see if I'm right next season.
On the question of Crouch, I think he's a good player aswell. I read an article in one of the broadsheets the other week where the writer stated the word coming out of the England camp was that a lot of the senior players were very impressed and surprised with the ability of Crouch. So was Sven, he had planned to play him in both games until the tall bloke got injured, so impressed was he with Crouch's ability. I keep saying it, players can improve and it's not always a gradual process. Two or three years ago Drogba was playing in the French lower leagues, it happens and it's happening to Crouch right about now in my opinion.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:53 pm

stmichael wrote:
banana wrote:

In half a season in a very poor Southampton side who finished bottom, Crouch scored as many goals as Didier Drogba managed all season for the Premiership champions. It's fact. Drogba cost £24m, nearly five times what we supposedly offered for Crouch.

Was Drogba worth £24m? You can argue until you are blue in the face (no pun intended) about how good an 'individual' Drogba is. But he was key to Chelsea's tactics in that they could use him as a target man if needs be. Crouch has better touch than Drogba, is better in the air and would generally let others around him thrive.

Just my opinion like.

Fair enough lad. But I have to disagree. Drogba is a monster and a big threath for any defence. He has not scored as many goals as he was expected to. But his contribution has still been exceptional. Chelsea has used Drogba for all he is worth. His size and strenght is important for chelsea. Thay use him as a target man, and he hold up the ball really well and he is also very useful for smaller guys like Duff, Robben and Cole. If Drogba was not actinbg as a buffer bewtween the big defenders, Cole, Duff and Robben would get into a lot more trouble.

If you think he is better than Crouch, then why don't Chelsea buy Crouch from Southhampton and offer Drogba in a straight swap?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:53 pm

In many respects, signing someone like Crouch is always a gamble, especially with the price being as high as it is. The main concern of most fans is whether he can handle the pressure at a big club or not.

I'd argue that alongside better players he'd actually look much better than he did last season. It couldn't have been easy shining in what can only be described as an awful Southampton side destined for th drop.

A player signing for Liverpool can either think "I'm not good enough to be here" and crumble, or say to himself "I must be good, I'm at Liverpool". You only know that once he's there.

If other mocked players such as Biscan and Traore could improve tenfold under Rafa, then so can Crouch.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED ANT » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:35 pm

stmichael wrote:In many respects, signing someone like Crouch is always a gamble, especially with the price being as high as it is. The main concern of most fans is whether he can handle the pressure at a big club or not.

I'd argue that alongside better players he'd actually look much better than he did last season. It couldn't have been easy shining in what can only be described as an awful Southampton side destined for th drop.

A player signing for Liverpool can either think "I'm not good enough to be here" and crumble, or say to himself "I must be good, I'm at Liverpool". You only know that once he's there.

If other mocked players such as Biscan and Traore could improve tenfold under Rafa, then so can Crouch.

Fair comment m8 but do you really think he would get into our team anyway?
RED ANT

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:14 pm

laza wrote:I would prefer to have problems of keeping surplus class players happy then trying to rely on squad players and previous managers mistakes to keep us going in a very long campaign

My sentiments exactly
76-1115222408

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:32 pm

St Mick , Drogba  may not be worth £24 mill but he's certainly in the £10-12 mill area. He's a great header of the ball , has decent pace , very strong and agile player AND he's also hard as fu'ck .Never mind what he has or hasn't done for Chelsea ,I still have nightmares over the way he absolutely terrorised our defence in the games against Marsielle.

Next to Drogba, Crouch is a cub scout .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:34 pm

but next to cisse, drogba is a cub scout :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:38 pm

dawson99 wrote:but next to cisse, drogba is a cub scout :D

:laugh:
No , next to Cisse ,Drogba is a peasant .   :D   :D   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 76-1115222408 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:41 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
dawson99 wrote:but next to cisse, drogba is a cub scout :D

:laugh:
No , next to Cisse ,Drogba is a peasant .   :D   :D   :D

Too right  :p
76-1115222408

Postby 65-1114725958 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:14 pm

Obviously being now in the champions league is a huge bonus and what Rick Parry wanted to know before giving rafa the Dosh for new players, it will probably mean an extra 15m in revenue at least if we get to the group phase.
(i say if but we should do!)
65-1114725958

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion