3-5-2 - Will this work?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:52 am

What do you think by using 3-5-2 formation.? Will it be dangerous.?

I append here an article regarding this picked from http://www.eteamz.com:

"3-5-2 TEAM
Team Formations: 3-5-2

The most recent formation to pop on the scene is that of the 3-5-2. This formation is often used by higher levels of competitors such as collegiate or professional teams. To be successful with this formation you must have exactly the right amount of talent. Because the talent is so precise to fit this formation, youth teams who randomly select members, often don’t have the luxury and talent to use this formation.

DEFENDERS in the 3-5-2 formation consist of three athletes: a left fullback, right fullback and a sweeper (or center fullback). These three defenders must stay tightly together, no more than 10-25 yards apart from eachother at all times. They form a slight triangle in shape with the sweeper nearest his own goal. That means, from left fullback to right fullback the distance should be no more than 50 yards. These three fullbacks must work together, sliding back and forth across the field supporting each other and making sure that all attackers are accounted for. Generally, the two outside fullbacks will mark the two opposing forwards “man to man” all game long, leaving the sweeper free to help out whenever necessary. Because there are only three defenders, they are much less likely to make offensive runs. Only if they are absolutely sure that they will score or assist in a goal should they make an offensive run and leave the man their marking. Again, this defensive strategy is only for the most skilled of teams and very confident defenders.

MIDFIELDERS in the 3-5-2 formation consist of five athletes. This formation allows for three central midfielders and two outside midfielders. Again, skill level comes into play here. This type of formation can not be run by a team unless the skill level is excellent. With three players in the middle it is critical that they all have tight ball skills as well as communication skills. They must all work together in attacking, defending, maintaining possession, winning 50/50 ball and controlling the overall pace of the game. These 5 midfielders can be murder on the opposing team if skilled, but they can also ruin a teams chemistry and ability if not properly trained. It takes a very special group of individuals to create a successful 5 person midfield.

FORWARDS in the 3-5-2 formation consist of 2 athletes. These two athletes have a very unique job. They must work together the entire game, rarely separating themselves by more then 10 to 20 yards. Together they must work to close off angles and defenders from clearing the ball out of the defensive areas. These two forwards must become so comfortable with eachother that they can predict where the others next move will be. It is very important for these players to be fast and agile. It is also important that these two players are in fairly good shape. Now that their are only two of them up there they have to pick up some of the slack for the missing third forward. With the additional, fifth player, in the midfield the forwards receive a little bit more help then they would from the 4-4-2 formation but still need to work together to produce.

The 3-5-2 formation is definitely not for everyone. In fact it is not for the majority. It is good however to be familiar with it. Picking a formation is simply up to the coaching staff. You want to pick the system that will best exploit your talents and support your less talented individuals. Keep an open mind though when picking formations and don’t be afraid to try something totally new and unorthodox because who knows it could be the best formation yet."

This will suit our system. We can move Finnan forward to centre right. Move Sisoko and Xabi/ Didi behind in a defending position to support Carra Hypia and Traore/ Warnock

Gerrard and Riise/Zenden and Finann

Ciise and Sinama / Crouch up front. Sinama and Ciise has the pace.

Who would like to see this in Liverpool?
:nod
hobbes

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:55 am

you must have taken that from an american site
112-1077774096

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:25 am

:D
Chelsea forever.

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:29 am

it doesnt matter.. as long as its about football not american football..hehe :D
hobbes

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:35 am

in a 3-5-2 you straight off sacrifice 2 players - thats the front 2 who are not expected to help in defending. That means you have only 8 players to defend, when you can have 10. -- first bad move

your back 3 will be 2 full backs and 1 CB. If the opposition has 2 strikers your 1 CB cannot manage them. Your fullbacks natural game is to play wide, why ask then to perform differently - like cisse on the right? But say you play with 2 CB's and 1 sweeper .. Eg Gallas - Carvalho (swpr) - Terry then you have 2 CBs on the 2 strikers and a sweeper to mop up. But then you need your 2 wide MF's to mark the flanks which means you play with 3 in MF which defeats the purpose of having 5 in MF ------- 2nd mistake

In MF you will play 3 CM, EG Sisoko-Alonso-Gerrard + 2 wide players = Zenden and Duff. Now of Zenden and DUff are expected to mark the flanks and create chances then why not play then with full backs as cover? that way you have 2 markers on each flank Eg - Finnan and Zenden + Ferrera and Duff and you have 2 players in attack aswell, so this decreases your opponents chances of scoring and increases your chances of scoring 2x - as opposed to 1 player in defense and attack which gives you tired legs after 37.03 minutes --- 3rd mistake

I would not play this formation. IMO modern football demands 11 players defending and 11 attacking. It helps if you can spread your players evenly on the pitch. A 4-3-3 is a very versatile formation as you can easliy switch to a 4-5-1, 4-3-2-1,4-4-2,4-1-2-3 depending on your opposition and need at the time of the game.

You also have to look at your player in the squad and see what formation suits them.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:43 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:You also have to look at your player in the squad and see what formation suits them.

I would say your key players are Gerrard-Alonso-Sisoko. So you must play them each game, just as we play Lampard-Maka-Essien and Manu play Fletcher-Kean-Schools.

Those 3 could fit in a or a 4-3-1-2
- I would suggest a 4-3-3 but you dont have another Zenden.

------Gerrard------------Alonso-----------Sisoko

-------------------------Garcia

--------------Cisse------------------Crouch
Chelsea forever.

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:57 am

Chelse forever .. you keep mixing Chelsea players and Liv player...

In Liverpool we lack I RM .. .Finnan has been proposed by Rafa last season to play up on the right and Josemi on defence. This formation is good but yet We are not scoring. We need to support the strikers more than the defenders.

By playing this, the centre midfield is divided into 2 area. So Sissoko and Hamman/Xabi  will be able to suppot tremendously the centre backs. Carra used to be on the right back So he wont have trouble too much. Traore ok in the left. Hypia is suported by the duo in the centre.

Whereas Gerrard/ Xabi  a play maker in the centre supported by Finann and Riise will conveniently move forward. Two stikers is a must for Liv. As Liv strikers cannot perform alone up front.

I am not that much worried if the oposition plays 2 strikers or even 3 strikers. As Liv would have about 5 defenders

I agree on one point. This formation will make the defence vulnarable. As the defensive centre midfielders will have to move back and by doing they bring the game to their half. Furthe if the oposition plays long passes it could be a trouble too.

But This formation can also be switched into 4-4-2 easily when Finnan wil move back and then Gerrard can move to the right Sissoko and Hamman/ Xabi can be back in their original position.

Therefore  i find a 3-5-2 formation by using Finnan on the right its worth a try.
:O
hobbes

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:59 am

By movin Gerrad into defensive Midfielder position we are wasting our forward strike. Sissoko is n execelent replacement for Gerrard as defensive midfielder. He should be at the back. along with Xabi or Didi
hobbes

Postby MilitiaRusher » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:03 am

playing 3-5-2 is literally equivalent to play 4-4-2 except we are replacing Sissoko/Hamann for Hyypia (or whoever that makes way for the 3 man defence).
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:10 am

yap but that gives Finnan the freedom to move right up to the other side's corner (which he does occasionally)
hobbes

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:19 am

In Liverpool we lack I RM .. .Finnan has been proposed by Rafa last season to play up on the right and Josemi on defence. This formation is good but yet We are not scoring. We need to support the strikers more than the defenders.

I am not aware of your current back 4. As far as i know you play Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Warnok? - please correct me if im wrong.

For you to say you dont need to support your defense is bizzare. IMO there should be equal support for Defense and Attack emphasizing more on the defense. Remember this, if you do not concede a goal you are guranteed 1 point, if you score a goal you might end up with 0 points.

By playing this, the centre midfield is divided into 2 area. So Sissoko and Hamman/Xabi  will be able to suppot tremendously the centre backs. Carra used to be on the right back So he wont have trouble too much. Traore ok in the left. Hypia is suported by the duo in the centre.

so you are suggesting this

----Carra------Hyypia------Traore
----------Sisoko------Alonso

Firstly Sisoko and Alonso are not Cb's and however good players tehy might be, they cant play as CB's.

Secondly Carra-hyypia is a very good CB pairing, why in the world would you want to upset it?

Thirldy, if you want a 5 man defense its better to play 1 sweeper, 2 Cbs and 2 fullbacks as opposed to 3 Cbs and 2 DMf's.

Whereas Gerrard/ Xabi  a play maker in the centre supported by Finann and Riise will conveniently move forward. Two stikers is a must for Liv. As Liv strikers cannot perform alone up front.

Here you suggest

---Risse---Gerrard---Finnan

--------CF--------CF

Firstly Finnan is not an attacking Midfielder.

Secondly Risse has not shown any great threat attacking.

Third with Gerrard there do you actually think those 2 will get much of the ball?

I am not that much worried if the oposition plays 2 strikers or even 3 strikers. As Liv would have about 5 defenders

Are you saying this

----Carra------Hyypia------Traore
----------Sisoko------Alonso

can cope well with an attack that looks like this

---Rooney----Rudd----Ronaldo
---------Schools---Fletcher

?
I agree on one point. This formation will make the defence vulnarable. As the defensive centre midfielders will have to move back and by doing they bring the game to their half. Furthe if the oposition plays long passes it could be a trouble too.

You have just contradicted yourself. First you say you are not worried about an attack, then you say you are worried as your defense will be vulnarable. Make up your mind :laugh:

But This formation can also be switched into 4-4-2 easily when Finnan wil move back and then Gerrard can move to the right Sissoko and Hamman/ Xabi can be back in their original position.

Then why start with such a retarded formation?

Therefore  i find a 3-5-2 formation by using Finnan on the right its worth a try.

So to sum it up this is what you are suggesting

--------------------------------------Reina

-------------------Carra--------------Hyypia---------------Traore

---------------------------Alonso----------------Sisoko

---------------------Risse--------------Gerrard----------------Finnan

----------------------------Cisse------------------Crouch

This is all to crazy for my head. I think its a retarted formation, I think Alonso should be the Genral in front of the back 4. Gerrard plays a Lampard role and Sisoko a Essien role (I can only relate to players I know so please do slam me on involving Chelsea here).

The only thing I agree with you on is that you need 2 Cf's and not 1.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:31 am

There is one way you can use this formation to good effect.

Note - No intention in including Chelsea, just using it as an example.

-----------------------------Cech

--------------Gallas---------Carvalho----------Terry

---------------------Maka--------------Parker

------------------------------Lampard

------------------Duff----------------------Robben

-------------------------Drogba-----Crespo

Here you have a natural sweeper in Carvalho. IMO he is easily amongst the top3 in the world when it comes to mopping up. Gallas and Terry will cover well and Ricardo will sweepup all the :censored:.

Then you have 2 natural DMF's in Maka and Parker. When its on the left you have Gallas and Maka with Carvalho and Terry as CB and Parker for cover, on the right you have Terry and Parker with Carvalho and Gallas as CB and Maka for Cover. Now you can do this because Carvalho is a sweeper and a good CB, and because you have 2 natural defensive midfielders --- not one natural DMF in Xabi and box-box in Sisoko.

In front of them you have Lampard, where you would have Gerrard. Good in defense, good at making central runs in that space between Duff and Robben and can spray the long balls.

If its a long ball you have Drogba to bring it down with Duff, Robben and Crespo as options. If he plays if to Duff you have Drogba Crespo and Robben as options. So you always have 3 options upfont while you attack.

When the entire team is defending it will look like this

-----------------------------Cech

--------------Gallas---------Carvalho----------Terry
---------------------Maka--------------Parker
------------------------------Lampard
-------------Duff------------------------------Robben

-------------------------Drogba-----Crespo

With Drogba and Crespo chasing everything down.

Now this is not possible for us because (1) we dont have Parker and (2) its a bizzare formation which Jose would never use.

Its not possible for you because (1) you dont have a sweeper or a player along Zenden (2) its a bizzare formation which Rafa would never use

-----------------------------Reina

--------------Carra--------- ???? ????----------Hyypia

---------------------Alonso--------------Hamman

------------------------------Gerrard

------------------Zenden---------------------- ????

-------------------------Crouch-----Cisse

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:55 am

Hello.. Hypia will be the sweeper. I think you have not realized the talents that Liv lad have got.

Sissoko make a very good defensive midfielder. 2ndly Xabi is also good though he is an attacking midfielder. Thats why I put Sissoko and Didi/Xabi

Didi Hamman is also a very good defensive midfielder. But playing him 90 full is not that safe. He needs a replacement. or to come in later.

Gerrad is now if I may simplify to you, your Terry. He drives the whole team. Him running in front will boost the strikers. He gives tremendous through balls. He suits well with Ciise in one touch passing. This will give the strikers the backing and support they need. If Gerrard plays as a defensive midfielder, it would be a content match like with Spurs.
I wouldnt waste his move especially when I have replcements for defensive midfielders. He creates chances. In that sense this would give the team the force we need.

Riise is outstanding. To drill into your Chelsea mind. He is just like Duff/ Roben. He is a very good winger. I never like to play him as left back. He has the speed He has the shot and he has the passing.

Finnan is also good in crosses. He is a very calm player. He maintains his cool and deals with problems inteligently. He has ideas. He is not nervous. What we actually need on the right is a person of his calliber (since we have no better ones)

Xabi also make good long passes. So he could maximise his skills by giving long range sharp passes.

Besides, by having Gerrard moving forward I find the thread of piercing the opposition defence is higher and you can enjoy a good ground ball game.
hobbes

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:05 am

... reads your response, raises eyebrows in shock and replies ...

..Ok.
Chelsea forever.

Postby 2520years » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:29 am

Reina
Finnan  Carra  Hyppia  Riise
              Sissoko
       Gerrard   Alonso
              Garcia
        Crouch   Cisse

...would be worth watching, but it's far too attacking for Rafa.  It plays each player in his ideal position and would be very difficult to defend against, especially if Cisse and Garcia would drift wide some of the time and let Gerrard and Alonso surge through the middle.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion