3-5-2 - Will this work?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:48 am

a little bit of history.

we did play 3-5-2 previously (under roy evans). Yes, this formation will make your midfield compact (so opposition will find it tuff to penetrate your half).

But the main problem of this formation is that there will lack of width. You only have 1 man in each flank. Thus, most of our attack was through the centre (which the opposition easily contained).

There are lot of pros and cons of using 3-5-2.....we should use it depending on the situation or opposition (eg...2nd half against Milan in euro champ final  :buttrock ).

Still prefer 4-4-2 though. With wingers and fullbacks down the wings, a lot of chances will be created.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:49 am

Defending from the front is vital.

I think a formation should be used based on the type of players you have, or players should be brought in based on the formation you want to use.

If you want to play a 3-5-2 you absolutely NEED 2 quality defensive midfielders + 1 for backup if any is injured. If you loose one player you cant suddenly change formation. Therefore its diffucult to play a 3-5-2 as most teams dont really invest in 3 or 4 defensive midfielders, sometimes none if your are Mr. Perez :p
Chelsea forever.

Postby Judge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:57 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:All good teams do defend from the front.

really!!

so how is it that wigan got inside the chelsea defence moretimes than chelsea did to wigan.

is that because wigan are better than chelsea??

your argument falls down straight away my friend
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:06 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:Err .. im not too sure but i think Bayern are the only team still using that formation ?

I think Milan or Juve did use it in a game or 2 last season??

yes certain games they use it,but there ethos is the flat back four,liverpool used it twice last season when they played juve away in the cl quarter finals and the second half and extra time in istanbul
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:20 pm

Judge wrote:

really!!

so how is it that wigan got inside the chelsea defence moretimes than chelsea did to wigan.

What kind of a ridiculous post is this?

Do you actually expect me to answer that?

You talk about my argument falling down, what 'argument' have you putup??

Just said 'so how is it that wigan got inside the chelsea defence moretimes than chelsea did to wigan.

is that because wigan are better than chelsea??'  and let it be at that!?

-

All good teams defend from the front, that doesnt mean a good teams defense cant be breached! Please talk with a little more sense next time .. my friend
Chelsea forever.

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Chelsea Forever.

As a Chelsea fan, do you think that JM is putting more of an emphasis on winning the CL this season than the Premiership? i mean so far in the league you've won five out of five in fifth gear. nobody even looks like putting up a decent challenge.

Personally, whilst you're rightly one of the favourites to win the CL, I think you're gonna have to change the way you play to win it.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:46 pm

stmichael wrote:Chelsea Forever.

As a Chelsea fan, do you think that JM is putting more of an emphasis on winning the CL this season than the Premiership? i mean so far in the league you've won five out of five in fifth gear. nobody even looks like putting up a decent challenge.

Personally, whilst you're rightly one of the favourites to win the CL, I think you're gonna have to change the way you play to win it.

That's done it :no

We'll get a 10 page analysis of Chelsea's tactics, players etc......

I won't be reading it
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:31 pm

John craig -  :D

stmichael -

JM has said he wants to win the CL again in the next 4 years. He is working towards building a squad that is capable of challenging in the CL and he will try every trick in the book to win it - just like any other manger would.

However, his main objective is to retain the EPL title. That's for sure. I agree 100% that we have been in a lower gear in the EPL, much of it is down to being only 5 games down and im sure some of it is down to the CL. I think one reason why we let go of Jiri, Smertin and Tiago and brought in Essien and Diarra was the CL. Naturally these players will help in the League, but Essien is more effective in the CL than Jiri and Smerts put together. Tiago is a real fine player and I for one was sad to see him leave.

Anyway, its clear he wants to win the CL with Chelsea, its clear we have a squad capable of winning it and if your asking me weather he is trying to win the CL this season I will say yes, but if your asking me if he will take the CL instead of the EPL I will say no.

May I ask you in what way you think we play? and to what we would have to change it to win the CL?

Cheers

Chelsea Forever
Chelsea forever.

Postby Judge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:34 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:
Judge wrote:

really!!

What kind of a ridiculous post is this?

Do you actually expect me to answer that?

You talk about my argument falling down, what 'argument' have you putup??

Just said 'so how is it that wigan got inside the chelsea defence moretimes than chelsea did to wigan.

is that because wigan are better than chelsea??'  and let it be at that!?

-

All good teams defend from the front, that doesnt mean a good teams defense cant be breached! Please talk with a little more sense next time .. my friend

i wasnt being aggressive  ???

i used your analogy of good teams defend from the front. Wigan defended from the front against chelsea, but it doesnt make them a good team!!

i think you meant good teams win more than lose, and great teams win more trophies than others  :D

chill out ffs
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:48 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:John craig -  :D

stmichael -

JM has said he wants to win the CL again in the next 4 years. He is working towards building a squad that is capable of challenging in the CL and he will try every trick in the book to win it - just like any other manger would.

However, his main objective is to retain the EPL title. That's for sure. I agree 100% that we have been in a lower gear in the EPL, much of it is down to being only 5 games down and im sure some of it is down to the CL. I think one reason why we let go of Jiri, Smertin and Tiago and brought in Essien and Diarra was the CL. Naturally these players will help in the League, but Essien is more effective in the CL than Jiri and Smerts put together. Tiago is a real fine player and I for one was sad to see him leave.

Anyway, its clear he wants to win the CL with Chelsea, its clear we have a squad capable of winning it and if your asking me weather he is trying to win the CL this season I will say yes, but if your asking me if he will take the CL instead of the EPL I will say no.

May I ask you in what way you think we play? and to what we would have to change it to win the CL?

Cheers

Chelsea Forever

Alright then CF, I gave in and read your post,

I have to say that I think the way chelsea play is fine for europe and with crespo now back in the fold I think he will play more of the european games than drogba, he's a quality player with a good record in europe.  In fact the way the chelsea team is set up is more in the style of a continental side than an english one, that's personnel as well as tactics.

Chelsea's progress in Europe this year depends on how things go with injuries and suspensions.  They were very lucky on that front last year CF, you have to admit that.  Cech, Terry and Lampard are lynch-pins, and although you have good players on the bench, these 3 cannot be replaced imo.  At the end of the day it's a cup competition and there is an element of luck in who you draw, whether they're in form, who you have on yellow cards etc...

Chelsea have the ability to go all the way, but so do about half of the teams in the group stages imo.  Who'd have predicted Porto winning ,then us?

As you say there is no way Mourinho would put his eggs in one basket and say, 'right I want the CL and nothing else this season'.  It's a cup and you can't bank on winning it no matter how good you are, how much money you have or how many galacticos you buy.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:58 pm

They were very lucky on that front last year CF, you have to admit that.  Cech, Terry and Lampard are lynch-pins, and although you have good players on the bench, these 3 cannot be replaced imo.

Infact we were unlucky with injuries. Bridge was injured before the Barca away game at Newcastle and ever since Gallas had to play LB till the end of the season. Gallas and Terry since Jose has arrived have conceded ONE goal (i think one or zero) in some 25odd games as CB, but once Gallas went to LB and Ricardo came in we started conceding goals. Terry and Lampard played the last 2 months with pain killing injections and had operations as soon as the season was over. Robben was out for half of the season and as was Drogba. Duff was injured towards the end of it but had to play as we had no choice. I think if all our player were fit and injury free we could have been in the Finals.

Chelsea have the ability to go all the way, but so do about half of the teams in the group stages imo.  Who'd have predicted Porto winning ,then us?

Yes Madrid,Milan,Juve and many more can win it. Anyone can win it. Porto did thanks to a master tactician and Deco + Maniche + Costa + the rest of the team who gave their hearts out. Also they met Monaco in the Final who really had no clue about tactics.

It's a cup and you can't bank on winning it no matter how good you are, how much money you have or how many galacticos you buy.

You just had to add that didnt you :p
Chelsea forever.

Postby JC_81 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:07 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:
They were very lucky on that front last year CF, you have to admit that.  Cech, Terry and Lampard are lynch-pins, and although you have good players on the bench, these 3 cannot be replaced imo.

Infact we were unlucky with injuries. Bridge was injured before the Barca away game at Newcastle and ever since Gallas had to play LB till the end of the season. Gallas and Terry since Jose has arrived have conceded ONE goal (i think one or zero) in some 25odd games as CB, but once Gallas went to LB and Ricardo came in we started conceding goals. Terry and Lampard played the last 2 months with pain killing injections and had operations as soon as the season was over. Robben was out for half of the season and as was Drogba. Duff was injured towards the end of it but had to play as we had no choice. I think if all our player were fit and injury free we could have been in the Finals.

Yes Madrid,Milan,Juve and many more can win it. Anyone can win it. Porto did thanks to a master tactician and Deco + Maniche + Costa + the rest of the team who gave their hearts out. Also they met Monaco in the Final who really had no clue about tactics.

It's a cup and you can't bank on winning it no matter how good you are, how much money you have or how many galacticos you buy.

Debatable stuff CF,

You say you were unlucky with injuries, my point is that you were lucky that your key players were not injured - the spine of the team which includes imo Cech, Terry, Gallas, Makelele and Lampard.  Lampard and Terry might have needed injections towards the end but it never affected their form.  You were better off with Drogba injured and as for Duff and Robben, well they have always been injury prone, you knew what you were getting when you signed them.

And yeah I couldn't resist my last comment in my previous post :rasp

Anyway, I have nothing else to say on the matter, I'm gonna get back to talking about the Betis game on some of the other threads

Cheers
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:45 am

The_Rock wrote:a little bit of history.

we did play 3-5-2 previously (under roy evans). Yes, this formation will make your midfield compact (so opposition will find it tuff to penetrate your half).

But the main problem of this formation is that there will lack of width. You only have 1 man in each flank. Thus, most of our attack was through the centre (which the opposition easily contained).

There are lot of pros and cons of using 3-5-2.....we should use it depending on the situation or opposition (eg...2nd half against Milan in euro champ final  :buttrock ).

Still prefer 4-4-2 though. With wingers and fullbacks down the wings, a lot of chances will be created.

I agree with the rock. we can use 3-5-2 when it circumstances demands. We are certainly able and capable of playing 3-5-2 (as opposed to what Chelsea forever is saying ).

In my view we can try this formation in Primiership and see its effectiveness to score. Its been quit hot and valuable information on tactics. Especially what The Rock and the rest had shared.

"They say the spectators are better footballers than the players"
   :D

Lets put the topic to rest  :idea
hobbes

Postby Espionage » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:34 am

Real Betis absolutely slaughtered us using 3-5-2 in the second half, if we had Joquin then maybe....jsut maybe......
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 am

john craig wrote:
Chelsea forever. wrote:

Debatable stuff CF,

You say you were unlucky with injuries, my point is that you were lucky that your key players were not injured - the spine of the team which includes imo Cech, Terry, Gallas, Makelele and Lampard.  Lampard and Terry might have needed injections towards the end but it never affected their form.  You were better off with Drogba injured and as for Duff and Robben, well they have always been injury prone, you knew what you were getting when you signed them.

And yeah I couldn't resist my last comment in my previous post :rasp

Anyway, I have nothing else to say on the matter, I'm gonna get back to talking about the Betis game on some of the other threads

Cheers

Mate .. we played you without Ferrera,Bridge,Duff and Robben in both the legs, now thats without 4 of our first choice players as they were injured --- can you call that lucky?
Chelsea forever.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion