2nd Half or Plan B Failure ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm wrote:Fitness is a key issue - because we go at 100 miles an hour at the start pressing the opposition we burn the energy very quickly. Not many pro players can play a game at 100miles an hour. Need to balance out the energy levels through the game

What games have you been watching ?

We're not going at 100 mph , and even if we were it's being matched by the oppo, who despite chasing the ball in the first 45 mins seem more than able to step up and press us in the 2nd half.

I'm far from thinking that fitness is the issue, if it is we are then surely the most unfit and unprepared team in the division.

Physically weak midfield, tactics and (2nd half) mentality is the problem.

Rodgers responsible for all of them.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 pm wrote:Fitness is a key issue - because we go at 100 miles an hour at the start pressing the opposition we burn the energy very quickly. Not many pro players can play a game at 100miles an hour. Need to balance out the energy levels through the game

What games have you been watching ?

We're not going at 100 mph , and even if we were it's being matched by the oppo, who despite chasing the ball in the first 45 mins seem more than able to step up and press us in the 2nd half.

I'm far from thinking that fitness is the issue, if it is we are then surely the most unfit and unprepared team in the division.

Physically weak midfield, tactics and (2nd half) mentality is the problem.

Rodgers responsible for all of them.

it couldnt be about fitness for the whole team, sturridge yes and maybe one or two others but not the whole lot of em. if it is then the fault lie's with the management 100%.
personally i think its a combination of his tactics and them not suiting the players we have. tactically i would think there is no room for expressing yourself or steering from his instructions as he likes to be in control and it has to be done how he see's it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:18 pm

So why do the tactics work for one half but then don't for the second or are people thinking that BR is actually telling players to play like they are during the second half ?
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 pm

I love how last season and the season before that, when we couldn't beat our opponents either because their goalie was MOTM or we hit the post a 100 times or the ref made a bad decision against us, people were saying how it's not down to luck but that we lack bottle or don't have the mentality to keep a lead or break the opposition. Now, when we're getting the results but with somewhat questionable approach and performance by the players, people are saying that we're winning because of luck :D. I know that the comments about our previous seasons were made after the whole season ended and at the moment we've played just 4 games, but I think that the lads and Rodgers deserve a little bit more credit for being on top of the table instead of rubbishing our results and saying it's all down to luck.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Have the results been rubbished and its been said its all down to the luck ???
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm wrote:Have the results been rubbished and its been said its all down to the luck ???

I didn't want to name who's been doing this but it's mainly you.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:27 pm

damjan193 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm wrote:Have the results been rubbished and its been said its all down to the luck ???

I didn't want to name who's been doing this but it's mainly you.

I haven't rubbished any result nor have I said they are all down to luck !!
Benny The Noon

Postby supersub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:18 pm wrote:So why do the tactics work for one half but then don't for the second or are people thinking that BR is actually telling players to play like they are during the second half ?

I don't think Rodgers tells the players to play a certain way in the 2nd half...I think it's more down to certain senior players not being 100% fit as they used  to be before serious injuries and sitting deeper in the 2nd half ...I wouldn't be surprised if the instruction to sit tight and deeper was an on field decision made by someone big and f***ing hard who can kick a ball 40 yards :oh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:34 pm

supersub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:18 pm wrote:So why do the tactics work for one half but then don't for the second or are people thinking that BR is actually telling players to play like they are during the second half ?

I don't think Rodgers tells the players to play a certain way in the 2nd half...I think it's more down to certain senior players not being 100% fit as they used  to be before serious injuries and sitting deeper in the 2nd half ...I wouldn't be surprised if the instruction to sit tight and deeper was an on field decision made by someone big and f***ing hard who can kick a ball 40 yards :oh:

So it's more than likely a combination of a multiple if factors - tactics , fitness , instructions , protecting the lead
Benny The Noon

Postby parchpea » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 pm

I think they plan to get ahead in the game then protect and hit in the break.

Trouble is we haven't been hitting on the break and all it has served to do is see us sit far too
deep getting battered.

Thing is whilst its picking up points they wont change it no matter how chancy it looks every
time we try it.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:09 pm

no one is suggesting he is telling the players to play ***** in the second half benny.
we have had the lead in every game this season by half time so to me it looks like we take the foot off the pedal in the 2nd and adopt a counter approach, then closer to the end it turns into park the bus. its as simple as that really.
what i said was that the players do what they are told, if they are told to ease off and focus on a counter attack or park the bus then thats what they will do. if any of our players was to disregard his instructions during a game they would quickly find themselves facing a spell on the bench or frozen out.
why are we sitting back then ? well its a game of results after all and last season it took us the guts of 2 months to win a game because we where attempting to play tikki takka and this season he isnt prepared to let that happen hence 3 wins and a draw which has us on 10 points. we hadnt got 10 points last season till the end of october after we drew with the bitters. at this stage now we are 8 points better off after 4 games than the 2 miserable points last season.
its certainly not pretty to watch and completely against the philosophy he preaches but thus far its been effective.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

supersub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm wrote:

seriously SS  :suspect:
you really think we are sent out with the managers plan and then gerrard takes it upon himself to go rogue and change tactics so he has less ground to cover ?.
i know he is a favourite with rodgers but i doubt he is sleeping with him  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Hustler 2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:21 pm

It's a mystery how we have dropped off 2nd half in all four games, after playing the first half well, scoring and creating chances.

It's just down to one thing, and one thing alone.........LUCAS! a Liabilty. :) We may as well be playing with 10 men when he's in the team. I would actually consider Joe Allen instead to start matches at the moment.

The Premier league is too physical for Coutinho, being 4ft tall, and he gets shoved off the ball easily. Plus he ain't defensive minded.

Hendo also, is not really a defensive midfielder either, he's best in the final third of the pitch.

That only leaves Stevie G, still got an all round game, good tackler etc, but he's on old legs and probably runs out of steam, and his legs must be feeling very heavy 2nd half these days.

Maybe the reason for the second half demise recently is the combination of those four midfielders isn't working properly, and we need a change of personnel. Maybe play Sterling for Coutinho for a couple of games, Allen for Lucas, and maybe give Alberto a bash. But I would still play Gerrard and Hendo most games.
:;):
Last edited by Hustler 2 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm

:laugh:

You're blaming our poor second half performances on Lucas ?!
Benny The Noon

Postby Hustler 2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:30 pm

Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm wrote::laugh:

You're blaming our poor second half performances on Lucas ?!

Never rated him in a red shirt, never will.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion