2011/12 - Q&a

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Greavesie » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:1) which position do you reckon we would finish next season.

2) amongst the FA Cup, League Cup and a European Trophy, which do you desire most?

3) if it means having a better domestic campaign...would you advocate playing some of the fringe players and/or youngsters for cup games even if it is the only shot we would have at winning any trophy?

4) how confident are you of Liverpool qualifying for the ECL at the end of next season?

5) how many goals do you expect Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll to score between themselves?

6) between Lucas and Jay Spearing, who gets your nod?

7) with regards to the left-back position, what do you make of the Insua situation? i believe his contract is ending. is he a player whom we should've held on to or did he, like many others, just stop progressing?

8) Glen Johnson has done well at left-back, should he continue playing there next season so that Martin Kelly and Flanagan can fight it out at the right side? this means throwing away the idea of buying a new left-back.

9) which 4 players should be sold? for those who wish to see the back of Kyrgiakos, keep in mind that his contract ends this season. so apart from him.

10) which 4 players, realistically and based on the needs to address certain positions, do you desire to see in a Liverpool jersey?

11) we have seen the integration of Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson into the first team this season. next season, who, from the youth team, do you reckon could make a similar impact?

12) should the club move to a new stadium, or increase the capacity of Anfield?

13) should we qualify for the ECL next season, which 3 teams would accompany us?

1) If the summer goes like we hope and we sign a couple we've been linked with - 3rd

2) Difficult question because wanting to win the EL means loads of games which might compromise the above - but for me if we're in the EL we should want to win it. If there's evidence it would hinder our league form then it can do one.

3) Depends on the cup - EL or CC yes - I know I'm already contradicting myself  :D

4) Very

5) at least 40! COME ON!!!  :buttrock

6) Lucas - we're noticibly more unstable when he isn't there - though Spearing hasn't played without him there so he might be able to hold his own. I wouldn't sacrafice Lucas for Spearing but I'd trust Spearing to come in should Lucas get injured/need rest.

7) Wouldn't be sad to see Insua go

8) Move Kelly in the centre. Also not sure how Flanno would cope over a full season. One mistake might shoot his confidence so its important to have vesatility for the season so I think Kelly will be needed on the right at some point even if we do shift him into the centre.

9) I'd keep the Greek, like I said he's reliable enough and if we're in the EL we're gonna need depenable squad players.

I'd sell more than 4 though and everyone knows who they are I don't think they need named *cough* not Joe Cole *cough* :D

10) Cahill, Arda Turan, Baines, Young - I agree with Woof on Parker but it depends on the price

11) I genuinely think the next one is Sterling but it'll be a while before we see him

12) Stay at Anfiled

13) City, Man U, Chelsea
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:54 pm

1) 1st, weve proved playing against the big teams were more then capable of beating them, 4-6 qualiy players in the summer will help us be more consistent against the lesser teams.

2) FA Cup

3) Yes the Premiership shoulds be are bread and butter

4) 100% confident

5) 50+ injury-free

6) Lucas

7) I wanted Insua back as second choice, but with the emergence of Robinson and Johnsons preformances, i would sell him now and free up wage if anything else along with Konchesky and Aureilo and bring in either Coentrao, Cissokho or Baines as first choice (in that order of preference)

8) Id let hm fight it out for RB and LB positions and Kelly for RB and CD, flanno and robbo or still very young and i dont believe it would do too much damage letting them take a back set again next season. They could feature in our Mickey mouse and lesser european games. Johnson is quality and versatile so i wouldnt sell him.

9) Personally id sell atleast 10 in the current squad but if it was just 4 then i would sell the 4 i believe we would recoup the most money from and wages back. Cole, Konchesky, Poulsen and Aqua get my vote.

10) This is difficult as thier are atleast 60 players id be happy with us signing. But ill go for Alexis Sanchez, Yann M'Villa, Fabio Coentrao, Neven Subotic as my ideal players.

11) Its hard to say as we dont know who will be brought in thsi summer but the players who have the best cahnce are the usually suspects, Coady, Wisdom, Suso and Sterling.

12) New stadium its the best option in the long run, as much as we all love Anfield and the memories it holds its the supporters that make the atmosphere not the bricks and plastic seats. Id be more then happy with us staying though.

13) Chelsea, Manchester Cityl and Manchester United
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:1) which position do you reckon we would finish next season.

2) amongst the FA Cup, League Cup and a European Trophy, which do you desire most?

3) if it means having a better domestic campaign...would you advocate playing some of the fringe players and/or youngsters for cup games even if it is the only shot we would have at winning any trophy?

4) how confident are you of Liverpool qualifying for the ECL at the end of next season?

5) how many goals do you expect Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll to score between themselves?

7) with regards to the left-back position, what do you make of the Insua situation? i believe his contract is ending. is he a player whom we should've held on to or did he, like many others, just stop progressing?

8) Glen Johnson has done well at left-back, should he continue playing there next season so that Martin Kelly and Flanagan can fight it out at the right side? this means throwing away the idea of buying a new left-back.

9) which 4 players should be sold? for those who wish to see the back of Kyrgiakos, keep in mind that his contract ends this season. so apart from him.

10) which 4 players, realistically and based on the needs to address certain positions, do you desire to see in a Liverpool jersey?

11) we have seen the integration of Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson into the first team this season. next season, who, from the youth team, do you reckon could make a similar impact?

13) should we qualify for the ECL next season, which 3 teams would accompany us?

1) 3rd or 4th, no higher I'm afraid.

2) FA Cup.

3) Yes, though I'd like to see stronger teams for the FA Cup, and the 1st team playing in latter stages of the Carling Cup and Europa League, depending on our league position. I don't know, is that actually a 'No'?

4) Pretty confident. Won't be east though.

5) 30-40

6) Lucas

7) I'd take him back. He probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I didn't understand why he was shipped off in the first place...

8) No. But we could do worse.

9) Poulsen (but I think he'll stay), Jovanovic, Konchesky and one other!   :D

10) Hmmm, can I just say a CB (prob Cahill or Mertsacker), a LB, a winger (Young or Johnson) and depending on who we sell a DM or another striker

11) Pacheco, but he doesn't seem to be doing it at Norwich, so... Ayala? Actually, not sure we'll have anyone really break through next year.

12) New ground, unfortunately.

13) In alphabetical order Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Wed May 04, 2011 7:33 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:Ethan, i doubt Arsenal are in trouble. if anything, they are on with a very good chance next season if they make 2 crucial signings. their midfield is immense in comparison with Manure's. Fabregas, Wilshere and Ramsey > Anderson, Carrick and Fletcher. i'm agreeing with Metalhead's top 4 and we've both left out Manure because they are gonna lose many players.

VDS and Neville are retiring/retired, Giggs and Scholes are dinosaurs. Carrick is overrated while Hargreaves and Owen are forever injured, the latter 2 probably gonna be released. of course one can expect them to make signings but then again, aren't they in some kinda financial difficulty? ??? the only reason why Manure are doing so well is because of Hernandez. i've this strange feeling Nani or Evra would be gone to some other club next season.

You almost convinced me.

I think that the top 6 teams will be pretty even next year, and anyone of Man U, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and us could be in the top 4 in all honesty.

In the end, it is hard to see Chelsea or Arsenal out of the top 4, and Fergie is good enough to get a poor Man U team in there too (don't discount the power of a winning habit and belief). I think City will be the team we'll have to displace.

Chelsea or Arsenal to win next year, which I guess means Chelsea not Arsenal (don't discount the power of a losing habit and the lack of belief!)

So my prediction is:

1. Chelsea
2. Man U
3. LFC
4. Arsenal (after leading for most of the year!)

The season later:

1. LFC
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea/Man U
4. Man C

You heard it here first!  :laugh:
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Wed May 04, 2011 7:38 am

1) which position do you reckon we would finish next season.
Difficult to tell without knowing what happens in the summer, 4th or 5th perhaps.

FA Cup

For league Cup yes but not for FA Cup,I think we need to win something

Depends on my answer to 1, hopeful not confident

25-30

Lucas

Insua isn't good enough, let his contract finish

It's a difficult one especially with the emergence of Flanagan and Robinson, if Kenny can get the LB he wants I say still sign him, but don't sign anyone just for the sake of it.
We need a top class left back.

A lot more than 4 should be sold, more like 7 or 8, but the main 4 are Jovanovic, Konchesky, Poulsen and Ngog. I would keep the Greek.

Young, Enrique, Parker, Cahill

Maybe Silva or Suso

Anfield would be better, but not sure it is feasible, cannot see how they can get an extra 10,000 plus seats in

Utd, City, Chelsea
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Raoul wrote:You almost convinced me.

I think that the top 6 teams will be pretty even next year, and anyone of Man U, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and us could be in the top 4 in all honesty.

In the end, it is hard to see Chelsea or Arsenal out of the top 4, and Fergie is good enough to get a poor Man U team in there too (don't discount the power of a winning habit and belief). I think City will be the team we'll have to displace.

Chelsea or Arsenal to win next year, which I guess means Chelsea not Arsenal (don't discount the power of a losing habit and the lack of belief!)

So my prediction is:

1. Chelsea
2. Man U
3. LFC
4. Arsenal (after leading for most of the year!)

The season later:

1. LFC
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea/Man U
4. Man C

You heard it here first!  :laugh:

true, i have underestimated the winning mentality.

and yeah the top 6 this season would probably be the same as next season. previously it was Manure, Chelsea, Arsenal and us as the Big 4. now Spurs and Man City have joined in to make it 6. who do you reckon would be the next team to break into this group? i
maypaxvobiscum

Postby brentd4 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:31 pm

1) im pretty confident and with some decent signings, top 2

2) fa cup and europa league

3) im not that interested in the europa league as i think we shud concentrate on the league, so id maybe play some of them it europe

4) out of 10 im an 8

5) 30

6) lucas

7) get rid, had potential but didnt progress

8) tough one, because i lik kelly at right back, so maybe save money and play johnson at the left, if one gets injured eg johnson play aurelio or agger, or kelly throw johnson or flanagan in.

9) aquilani, poulsen, ngog, insua

10) realistically, phil jones, ashley young, benzema, downing

11) hopefully, suso, pacheco

12) if expanding to around the 55000 mark id stay, if not then build

13) chelsea, man utd, man city
brentd4

Postby Raoul » Fri May 06, 2011 4:11 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:true, i have underestimated the winning mentality.

and yeah the top 6 this season would probably be the same as next season. previously it was Manure, Chelsea, Arsenal and us as the Big 4. now Spurs and Man City have joined in to make it 6. who do you reckon would be the next team to break into this group? i

Well it is going to be Blackburn isn't it? Since the Venky Group took them over they've been soaring.
Last edited by Raoul on Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Raoul wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:true, i have underestimated the winning mentality.

Well it is going to be Blackburn isn't it? Since the Venky Group took them over they've been soaring.

not too sure about that. the new owners are aiming high but the higher you go, the less oxygen available to the brains. i can't see how a team of Blackburn's brand can attract the type of household names they are pursuing.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby stmichael » Tue May 10, 2011 1:25 pm

1) With the right signings in the summer I'd say top 4. Optomistically I'll go for 3rd.

2) Definitely the FA Cup. Ity one of my biggest bugbears in football when teams neglect the competition by putting out weakened teams because it's "not their biggest priority".

3. Yes as it gives players vital experience of first team football. Our youngsters have all excelled this season when given the chance so I'd have no problem with any of them playing on a more regular basis.

4) As I said in question 1 it depends on the signings we make. It we recruit shrewdly I think we've got a great chance. I don't see Arsenal getting particularly stronger due to Wenger's stubborness, Chelsea need a mass clearout, Spurs may lose key players and United never really spend big anymore. I can only really see City strengthening significantly.

5) 40. Infact I'd have a decent wager on Suarez being top scorer in the Premiership next season.

6) Lucas. The kid is developing into a monster. I do rate Shelvey though and think he has a really bright future, Personally I'd like to see him possibly get loaned out to another Premiership side to get some more first team experience.

7. When he was here he was never as good or bad as some fans made out. We ultimately need better though so I'd ultimately let him go. Getting a top quality left back this summer has to be one of our top priorities. The position has been a joke ever since Riise left.

8) No we need a proper left footed left back. Johnson is a right back at the end of the day and should fight it out with Flanagan. Personally, long term I'd like to see Kelly be earmarked as a replacement for Carra at centre back when he finally hangs up his boots. Kelly is a centre back after all, even though he is also an excellent right back and done really well when played there.

9) There's more than 4 who need to go but the 4 obvious ones are Konchesky, Poulsen, Jovanovic and Ngog. I'd also consider selling Cole and Skrtel if we got decent offers.

10) Jose Enrique for left back. Gary Cahill at centre back. Jan M'Via as a defensive midfielder and Ashley Young as a versatile attacker/winger.

11) Conor Coady is a great prospect having captained England under 17's obviously and may be seen as a possible long term replacement for Steven Gerrard. Raheem Sterling will be a full England International in the future imo. Pacheco is a great talent as he has showed at Norwich during his loan spell and Suso is another excitiong talent. All in all it's exciting times and Rafa Benitez should take great credit for the work he did with the Academy.

12) Increase capacity of Anfield ideally.

13) Man U, Man City, Chelsea
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 am

stmichael wrote:10) Jose Enrique for left back.

there's no day which passes by without me thinking he is a one-season wonder. i honestly feel we should stay clear of him and go for someone like Baines or Sakho. the latter can play in central defense too.
maypaxvobiscum

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion