20 years ago today - 1986 fa cup final

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Effes » Wed May 10, 2006 12:15 pm

My mate just reminded me before that it is 20 years ago today that we achieved the Double.

What a day it was. I dont want this to be a "yeah, Everton weren't so bitter then" thread, but who can remember the images on TV of LFC fans and EFC fans helping each other intoo the ground ( a time when bunking in was kind of accepted).

It was yet another momentous occasion, like Istanbul, where LFC achieved a victory by being behind at half-time then scoring 3 in the second half.

I was only 15 then, but by then I (and suppose many) took these kind of things for granted.

Hasn't a lot happened in 20 years?

LFC are not as successful as in the eighties yet we have tasted more success than most in those 20 years.

(Aaagh, just checked the official website to see exactly what we've won since, they've already done an article on this).

Anyway, since then we've won:

2 Leagues
2 FA Cups
2 League Cups
1 UEFA Cup
1 European Cup

To think that we haven't had our best success since, we have still done extremely well.

We are still a club to be proud of.

Let's hope we are entering another era with Rafa and that the heady days of yesteryear will be back soon; hopefully starting with the FA Cup Saturday.

By the way, did anyone ever have that Radio City tape of the 1985-6 Season with Clive Tyldesley? It was brilliant, I lost mine.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed May 10, 2006 12:18 pm

I've still got the BBC Grandstand video knocking round in my house somewhere.
jonnymac1979

Postby Effes » Wed May 10, 2006 12:23 pm

My one and only scarf is from that day and always goes with me to the big games.
It's 20 years old today!
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 pm

probably my earliest memory of watching liverpool. unbelievable side we had back then. if i'm not mistaken it was made sweeter because despite us achieving the double, everton had beaten us twice in the league that season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby thegreedo » Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 pm

I was at the game, I was only fifteen. It was a fantastic sunny day and the atmosphere in wembley was amazing. Although I started going to Anfield in ''77 it was my first major final. It remained my favourite ever away day right up until may last year.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 pm

Was 9 years of age and watched it on telly.

I remember Kenny's mistake that led to Lineker's goal only for us to come storming back.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby thombobb » Wed May 10, 2006 12:37 pm

Seems longer...Always remember Grobbelaar and Beglin arguing and the save from Hansens attempted clearance.....Rush, what a player he was.
thombobb

Postby Effes » Wed May 10, 2006 12:37 pm

JBG wrote:Was 9 years of age and watched it on telly.

I remember Kenny's mistake that led to Lineker's goal only for us to come storming back.

Or the barney between Brucie and Beglin?

Brucie's kangaroo-hop save, where he tipped it over the bar.

Kenny throwing a wobbler at Brucie when he kicked it straight out of touch?
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed May 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Effes wrote:Anyway, since then we've won:

2 Leagues
2 FA Cups
2 League Cups
1 UEFA Cup
1 European Cup

We've won 3 league cups and 3 FA cups since Effes - and don't forget the two super cups.

That Cup win was massive. Everton were an awesome side at the time, and I was really nervous about the final.
I was 11 at the time, and I was devo'ed when Lineker scored. I was watching the match at my Grandma's house, I remember taking a footie out to the back garden at half time, pretending I was Kenny Dalglish getting the equaliser.

Does anyone remember the Prudential poster at the time with the Liverpool and Everton team? More to the point, has anyone got a n image of it?
Last edited by NiftyNeil on Wed May 10, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed May 10, 2006 3:15 pm

Brilliant
Still remember that Molby pass like it was yesterday.
I had the good fortune to be living in England that year, certainly was a classic time
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed May 10, 2006 11:05 pm

I would have been 1 year old then.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 11, 2006 12:06 am

Effes wrote:My mate just reminded me before that it is 20 years ago today

Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play
They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.
So may I introduce to you
The act you've known for all these years,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
We hope you will enjoy the show,
We're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,
Sit back and let the evening go.
Sgt. Pepper's lonely, Sgt. Pepper's lonely,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
It's wonderful to be here,
It's certainly a thrill.
You're such a lovely audience,
We'd like to take you home with us,
We'd love to take you home.
I don't really want to stop the show,
But I thought that you might like to know,
That the singer's going to sing a song,
And he wants you all to sing along.
So let me introduce to you
The one and only Billy Shears
And Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

:D

Sorry , couldn't resist it  .     :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby madred » Thu May 11, 2006 1:19 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:I've still got the BBC Grandstand video knocking round in my house somewhere.

Thats mad jonnymac because i soon as i saw the topic i thought of the game being in all my old collection of videos that are stored away. That was a rollercoaster ride to the final and i remember almost going out in the quarters to Watford. Barnes scored a scorcher of a free kick to put them in the lead but Liverpool levelled through a late Molby pen then Rushie scored in extra time. Think we beat Southampton in the semi with a Rushie double. The final was great and at first i thought it was going to be the bitters day. As John Motson said ' what a turn around'  :D
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Thu May 11, 2006 3:44 am

I was 1, not old enough to remember it, would have been a good time to be a liverpool fan (well when has it never been a good time to be a liverpool fan)
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat May 27, 2006 5:06 am

probably my earliest memory of watching liverpool. unbelievable side we had back then. if i'm not mistaken it was made sweeter because despite us achieving the double, everton had beaten us twice in the league that season.

No, Mick, we beat Everton at Goodison 3-2 in a thrilling match and Everton beat us 2-0 at Anfield, so if it were like a head-to-head comparison, Everton would have edged us 4-3. I just saw this tppic and my reply was so very late but I remembered that I had some trepidation for the final as Gary Lineker was really on fire especially towards the end of the season and he did score the firat goal of the final.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion