16th june 2005 - Rafa's 1 year anniversary

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Well, as I'm sure you're aware, it's the 16th of June 2005 today. What is special about this day you may ask? Well I'll tell you. Exactly one year ago today, a Spaniard with a superb reputation across Europe walked through those famous Shankley Gates into what he described as "the biggest challenge of his life". Having just won La Liga for the second time in three years at Valencia, he was obviously courted by other top clubs, but was relatively unknown in this Country. At the time, I think it's fair to say that our club had gone completely stale. We had scraped into the Champions League by the skin of our teeth (a massive 30 points behind the Champions). The football we were playing was dull to say the least, and we had several average players on ridiculous wages who needed to be got rid of. When Gerard Houllier was given his inevitable P45, fans were striving for everyone from Martin O'Neill to Alan Curbuishley to get the job. The board however, had their sights set on Benitez, and as it has proved, it could be the best decision they ever made.

Having said this though, a year on, and despite unbelievably winning the Champions League in his first season, I still feel that the shadow of Gerard Houllier hangs over Rafa Benitez to a degree. When Houllier was a new kid on the Anfield block he generated professions of undying loyalty from the Kop for the remarkable 2001 of the five cups: League Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Cup, Charity Shield and European Supercup. But the anticipated progress to Premiership success proved elusive for us. Houllier's health problems compounded by some poor transfer dealings, the distractions of the new stadium proposals plus the boardroom power game all drained energy away from the pitch. One further League Cup triumph in 2003 was all Houllier had to show over the next three years and his departure last summer was thus inevitable.

It is a well known fact that at the start of the season, myself and all other Liverpool fans hankered after a return to the good old days when we dominated football both at home and abroad. The ideal scenario would probably have seen domestic success followed by international expansion but Benitez, like Houllier before him, has turned that cliche around. A statistic of 13 defeats in 36 Premiership games was an odd platform on which to build the overthrow of Milan on that dramatic, old-fashioned glory night in Istanbul.

Was it a goal in the semi? Well the Referee was perfectly placed to judge that Luis Garcia's flick had crossed the line before the desperate clearance by William Gallas. I won't pause long to worry about the rights and wrongs. We've conceded enough controversial goals in Europe down the years, right the way back to the beating we received by Internazionale in Milan in 1965 if I'm not mistaken? We also 'owed' Chelsea one big style after the luckless own goal from Stevie which gave them their League Cup Final lifeline in Cardiff in February, and the injustice of the loss to them at Anfield on New Years Day.

It seems apparant that Benitez, having struggled with the biggest casualty list I've seen since the Civil War, goalkeeping confusion, plus the irritating uncertainty over Gerrard's future, relies on hard work not luck. That seems to be the 'secret' of his success which has so far earned promotion for Tenerife and two Spanish championships for Valencia with 2004's UEFA Cup thrown in for good measure.

But guiding Liverpool to Champions League glory must surely have outstripped anything else he has achieved as a Manager, especially given the squad he had to work with and the fact that it was his first season in a new country with a new language. Even reaching the Final was considered an unbelievable achievement, having beaten the English and Italian Champions along the way. What is for sure is that Benitez, at 44, is not only the most successful Spanish coach at the moment but also the youngest, having originally built his initial reputation as a youth coach at Real Madrid. His ambition far outstripped his appreciation of the security of a role as faithful retainer so he parachuted out in 1995 to learn his coaching craft with Valladolid, Osasuna, Extremadura and Tenerife before succeeding Internazionale-bound Hector Cuper at Valencia. Generally speaking, it's been a success ever since.

Whether that qualified Benitez for the Liverpool heritage was another matter. With Benitez came the obvious worry from some sections of supporters that he was "unproven" in this country. But hey, when Arsene Wenger arrived at Arsenal, nobody had heard of him, and look at what he has achieved down the years. Us Liverpool fans are a demanding bunch, brought up to expect maintenance of the massive tradition which has now brought five European Cup wins and 18 League titles. But our most recent domestic championship came in 1990, in pre-Premiership days and this cannot be ignored. Rafa came out after the success in Istanbul and stated that despite that magnificent achievement he was still not happy. He was not happy with our League performances and rightly so. It is this strive for excellence that will eventually put him down in Anfield folkore alongside Shanks and Paisley if you ask me.

Despite this general sense of optimism, fans should still not be kidded into thinking that we are anywhere near the finished article. We are still very much a team in transition. This summer will probably prove to be our busiest in recent memory with several players coming and going over the coming weeks. Last season, injuries carved significant chunks out of the season for main men such Milan Baros, Didi Hamann, Xabi Alonso and Djibril Cisse. Our general lack of strength in depth meant that we failed to compete with the top three and some of our domestic performances, especially away from home (Southampton, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Man City, Newcastle), were simply awful.

Reaching Istanbul was discounted by all but the super-optimists (including myself) when we only just squeaked through, 2-1 on aggregate, against Grazer AK in the third qualifying round. Infact I recall Jamie Carragher on the eve of the Final saying something along the lines of:

“At the start of the season, we felt it would probably be an achievement just to get through the group stage under a new coach because we were rebuilding. Being in the Final now shows how far we've come under Rafa Benitez.”

Rafa once described himself in an interview as a “loner with a laptop” because of his obsession with footballing detail. He has always stressed the importance of unity. After Valencia's 2-0 UEFA Cup Final win over Marseille last year, he said:

“We had some great individual performances. But above all, we're a team whose players can all depend on each other.”

Importantly, on arrival, he quickly broke up the Anfield cliques and brought in Spainish based players he knew and trusted – Luis Garcia, Josemi, Xabi Alonso, the makeweight Antonio Nunez, the Euro-ineligible Mauricio Pellegrino and Fernando Morientes – to bolster what was already there. Finding the right blend amid the Premiership frenzy wasn't easy. Realistically, I think Benitez knows that it will be next season before our imports fully handle the physical demands of English football. Morientes himself has already admitted that he was taken by surprise by the physicality and pace of the game over here. However everybody knows the guy is a class act, and hopefully next season, we will see the best of him.

We were three minutes from going out at the group stage, before Gerrard's 87th-minute strike sank Olympiakos 3-1 and carried us into the last 16. Leverkusen were beaten (and outclassed) 3-1 both home and away before we withstood the emotional pressure of the Heysel anniversary to outrun but also outwit Juventus 2-1 at home and goalless away, despite the injury absence of Gerrard.

Following this we kept two clean sheets against Chelsea, who were reduced in each leg to hitting high balls towards the heads of Didier Drogba and Mateja Kezman. Luis Garcia's controversial strike at Anfield was eventually enough. As for the final itself, it is an experience that I will never forget and in general, is a match that will go down in folklore. Hopefully the vast distance we have come under Benitez will not be forgotten should we have a poor season next time around. I'm sure that wont happen.

THE FUTURES BRIGHT, THE FUTURE'S LIVERPOOL. :buttrock

Happy anniversary Rafael Benitez and thank you. :bowdown

YNWA
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby el_stinger » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:49 pm

Great Post mikey
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:21 pm

Well done Mike
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Now that's a long text.
But I've enjoyed reading every part of it.
Good job st mike :D
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:18 pm

happy anniversary rafa  :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:43 pm

.. happy birthday to me fav Boss.. you are truly a Star.. one in million el Boss..  :hearts
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:49 pm

happy anniversary rafa 

.. happy birthday to me fav Boss.. you are truly a Star.. one in million el Boss..

Aaaah, Rafas has a women love corner here. Love is in the air  :D
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:17 pm

Somtimes you just need to step back and admire what the great man has done for this great club.

The doom and gloom around Anfield after the Newcastle game on the last day of last season seems a long distance memory and were now probably the most optimiistic we've been going into a new season since the season after we won the three trophies.

How many of you could imangine us being European champions a year later with the squad at the disposal of Rafa benitez? I certainly couldn't.

I still dont think he's been given the credit he deserves for the greatest coaching achievment in modern times disposing of teams like Juve, Milan and CFC who overall have much better players than us.

The squad that starts next season will be totally transformed from what he took over with and i'm sure he has learnt from any mistakes he may have made in last season's PL.

For what Rafa has achieved in one year is truly remarkable. :bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:31 pm

I have no doubt whatsoever that Rafa will go down in history as one of the all time greatest managers this club has had

Right up there with the great men, Shanks, Paisley and Fagan   

IN RAFA WE TRUST
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:36 pm

He is already an all time great in my book, any manger who wins a European cup at this club is an all time great. He is not at legend status likd Shanks et al just yet, but if he can win the European Cup in 10 months, then he may well surpass or at least equal them all.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:37 pm

LFC #1 wrote:He is already an all time great in my book, any manger who wins a European cup at this club is an all time great. He is not at legend status likd Shanks et al just yet, but if he can win the European Cup in 10 months, then he may well surpass or at least equal them all.

He's certainly better than Houllier!!!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:43 pm

GH was and is still a good manger, the treble season was amazing, and the season following when we finished 2nd in the league and were in the last 8 of the Champions league.
Then in the early 2002/03 campaign we started with 9 wins and 3 draws if memory serves me correctly. We were top of the league and it looked like LFC was right back on track. We then lost a sucession of matches, and it all went downhill from there, excluding the Worthington cup final against ManU whcih was theo nly relah highpoint of the last 2 years of GH's tenure.

I still have much respect for GH, but he was sacked at the right time, and their is no doubt we have the best man for the job now in Rafa.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:55 pm

Woollyback wrote:I have no doubt whatsoever that Rafa will go down in history as one of the all time greatest managers this club has had

Right up there with the great men, Shanks, Paisley and Fagan   

IN RAFA WE TRUST

just to point out you missed out Dalglish??

:D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:21 pm

I know :D

Dalglish is obviously a LFC legend, but more for his playing than his managing, hence why I've left him out :rasp
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Somehow i managed to miss this yesterday, so just want to add my two pence worth!!!!

Great post (as usual) St.Michael, and a happy (belated) anniversary to King Rafa Benitez 

YNWA
76-1115222408

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion