Working links - A**holes.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:04 am

First of all, my anger isnt about the New Deal program, its about the incompetent bastards that work for them.

My last interview I was late for. I was waiting for my missus to get back with some money for the bus. She turns up at 12:40, my interview was at 12:30. So I had to phone up and explain why I was late. Apparently 1) rather than wait for bus fare I had working legs so I should have walked and 2) our doors were unlocked and my missus took the keys with her, which isnt a good enough reason. So the bastard grassed me up. My money is now stopped and I am having to put an appeal through as I thought that keeping my house from being burgled was more important than a waste of time review.

Anyway, seeing as it is, I have decided now to drop them all in it. Working Links are there to help me find work. And so far I have had nothing but grief from them.

On my first day there they gave me a sheet on how to create a CV, I didnt need this as I had 3 CV's on the go already. One is job specific for Administration, one is with the main jobs I have held without the volunteer work I have done and the last is with everything on it. She asked me to email them to her so I did, she kept the one with all my career on it and told me to use that one. I argued, well, my main job one would be better as then I can use a cover letter to fill in the time I havent had paid work. My CV would show what I have achieved and my cover letter would show I havent sat on my backside doing nothing, they would both compliment each other. But no she insisted, the CV with everything on it would get me in.
I was also given a list of the services they offer (toilet roll, but has more shit on it), one was a basic Microsoft Excel course. I was also told if it comes down to me just explaining what I am doing to look for work, then this can be done over the phone rather than me having to turn up as it saves everyones time.

Since then I have had 4 different "advisors", the new ones dont ask you for any info, they have a quick look at your CV and have you figured out.

In all the time I have been there all I have done is told them what I have done to look for work. I have applied for job after job, using the CV my "advisor" insisted on, I have asked for a refresher Excel course, now despite them offering a basic course, they cant offer that as nobody there can do it. Which brings me to my Jobsearch session.

When you first attend Working Links you are given a pack, a docket with various stuff in it like a notepad, a pen, and some cards in with questions that an interviewer may ask. So I took these and wrote down the answers I could give if I get an interview. During the jobsearch, the guy in charge asked more or less the same questions. So, having done my homework, I had the answers and the do's and dont's as to what to say. This didnt go down too well. The rest of the unemployment lot didnt want to be there, they just sat there waiting for god, as they say. But I am looking for work, so I joined in. He stopped asking questions about interviews and decided to start the jobsearch, so guess who was his target?

He came to me with a job for the NHS. They required an Administrator. They were looking for a person capable of dealing with customers (which I have experience and qualifications in), Administration (same again), a hands on approach (once again) and proficient in Microsoft Office, including Access and Excel. Now that was my downside. Since I got my qualification in IT, I havent used Excel since, so I pointed this out to the guy doing the jobsearch. He took the binder containing these "top secret" jobs, slammed it shut and said "If I were you, I would see your advisor and revise your job goals". So although I had experience and qualifications in everything else they were looking for, because I was unsure about using Excel, I am not good enough and my goals are set too high. He asked what else I can do. I told him I repair PC's for the neighbours, friends and family. I am also capable of building a PC. However he was not impressed, apparently everyone can do that, its a case of "slotting in the pieces".

Now what gets me the most is because I am actually looking for work, I am being punished. I am being shot down and given no leeway at all. I should review my job goals as I am not sure about Excel, yet these assholes, who cannot offer me a refresher course on it as NOBODY there can use it, say I need to review my goals. And all the while, they have done nothing, they have suggested to my advisor about reviewing my goals, nothing has happened, the help I have asked for I have recieved none, and when I answer the questions asked, I am shot down.

Now my money has been stopped because I committed the crime of being late for a review.

I have an interview with the jobcenter in March to lodge an official complaint and to change to somewhere more useful. How these wankers get away with it is beyond me.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:04 am

moral of the story buy a car or open a soup kitchen :D

on serious note, I hope you find something that will give you a bit of stability. Its hard these days to find a safe and good job you just need to be patient a bit mate. If you want you can come work in KSA with me we are about to open up an industrial factory (family business)

drop your CV I'll interview :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 am

If it's just a refresher in Access, excel etc holding you back then there's loads of great books on Amazon that should get you well on the way if they don't offer a course. It does sound like they are very unhelpful though so good luck with it all, it sounds like you have the core skills though.
worcester_red

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:59 am

For someone who can repair a PC I'm sure the level of expertise in excel needed to do an administrator job is not that hard. I would imagine it's just be comfortable using it, anything else you'd pick up along the way.

The best advice I ever got for interviews is never to mention your weaknesses. From your story you seem to have raised the issue of Excel. If I were you I would of kept quiet and seen how involved the job actually was. The likelihood is that you would of had to have another interview/introduction at the hospital with the line manager, describing what the job entailed.

It would of become apparent early on if the excel involvement was too much.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 am

Yeah Kharhaz, next time don't tell them your inexperience with excel, after all it sounds as though you have the majority of qualiities they are/were looking for. Honestly mate, just ''wing'' it with the excel s.hit and learn on the job so to speak, once you're in and working and meeting people and build a rapport with them, they'll hardly sack you for one little bit of uncertainty.

Moral to the story: Don't be so honest, lie a tad just to get your foot in the door, it's a dog eat dog world.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 am

No you dont understand. I mentioned the lack of usage in Excel not to interviewers but to the people who are there to help bypass that. It was the people who are there to help me that are saying I should review my goals regarding the work I am looking for. As for not mentioning my weakness, I did that once at an interview for Anglia Woods, a frozen food company. The job I was going for required me to drive a 7.5 tonne truck around Lincolnshire. I admitted to never driving one and not particularly familiar outside Grimsby, and I still got the job ! :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 pm

:laugh:

The last 3 weeks I have been on placement. I finish the whole new deal in 4 weeks but one they offered me was a course in sage which lasted 6 weeks, so I chose that one. This happened to be a Learndirect course, but thats fine, as long as I finally get started on sage. So I joined up and we did a basic test, to see how our numeracy and literacy skills are. Now my maths is pretty poor, and as expected I was placed on a course to improve my maths. I went through the lessons which lasted two weeks. It shouldnt have done, but they were moving offices so they had to keep me busy for an extra week. I eventually had my test and passed (which was a surprise, as I really stink at maths !).

Anyway, I get sent to the new place which is really out of my way and a right pain in the backside to get their, but its worth it. As I am learning what I have wanted to for a long time. It started this week, this monday in fact.

I get a letter from Working Links today. The first line reads: "Due to your MWRA placement finishing early, it is IMPERATIVE that you attend this appointment to ensure continuation of your benefits.". Naturally I wondered what the hell they were on about so I phoned them up. Due to a change of contracts with the jobcenter and Working Links (which affects my placement also) my placement will finish on friday, but still turn up at my placement tomorrow even though its a total waste of f*cking time !

I really cannot put into words how much hatred I have for all those useless bunch of w*nkers. The best advice I can give to anyone who is unemployed and about to go on a New Deal program, avoid Working Links like the plague !
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed May 25, 2011 11:09 pm

Kharhaz wrote: :laugh:

The last 3 weeks I have been on placement. I finish the whole new deal in 4 weeks but one they offered me was a course in sage which lasted 6 weeks, so I chose that one. This happened to be a Learndirect course, but thats fine, as long as I finally get started on sage. So I joined up and we did a basic test, to see how our numeracy and literacy skills are. Now my maths is pretty poor, and as expected I was placed on a course to improve my maths. I went through the lessons which lasted two weeks. It shouldnt have done, but they were moving offices so they had to keep me busy for an extra week. I eventually had my test and passed (which was a surprise, as I really stink at maths !).

Anyway, I get sent to the new place which is really out of my way and a right pain in the backside to get their, but its worth it. As I am learning what I have wanted to for a long time. It started this week, this monday in fact.

I get a letter from Working Links today. The first line reads: "Due to your MWRA placement finishing early, it is IMPERATIVE that you attend this appointment to ensure continuation of your benefits.". Naturally I wondered what the hell they were on about so I phoned them up. Due to a change of contracts with the jobcenter and Working Links (which affects my placement also) my placement will finish on friday, but still turn up at my placement tomorrow even though its a total waste of f*cking time !

I really cannot put into words how much hatred I have for all those useless bunch of w*nkers. The best advice I can give to anyone who is unemployed and about to go on a New Deal program, avoid Working Links like the plague !

Hey Kharhaz never-mind at least you can watch the Jeremy Kyle show.

After all, I know how much you love the TV programs.  :D

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:Hey Kharhaz never-mind at least you can watch the Jeremy Kyle show.

:angry:   :D

Im turning into Victor Meldrew !
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:Hey Kharhaz never-mind at least you can watch the Jeremy Kyle show.

:angry:   :D

Im turning into Victor Meldrew !

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 pm

:D

Another thing, while I was on placement doing 30 hours a week, my status was changed to employed for the sake of statistics. But in order for that to work they have to give me extra money to show that I am employed. I received 6 letters from the jobcenter, 2 seperate ones of 3 sheets a piece informing me of the extra amount of money I would be getting for my 30 hours employed status.....

£0.10 each week ! And heres the kicker, each time I was at my placement they charge 20p for a coffee ! :laugh:
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 26, 2011 12:22 pm

There are tonnes of resources online which you can download for free. Check torresnts for lynda.com.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu May 26, 2011 12:30 pm

£0.10 each week ! And heres the kicker, each time I was at my placement they charge 20p for a coffee !

rob a bank, crime pays.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Thu May 26, 2011 1:12 pm

i'd just get ANY job if i were you - stacking shelves at tesco, bar work, whatever. employers are FAR more likely to consider somebody who's currently in a job than someone who's not working

like it or lump it, employers will look at you as someone with a bit of initiative, rather than someone who's watching telly until your dream job turns up
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum