Work offer - Tough decision

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:02 pm

My boss just asked if I wanted to go and do some work in Algeria over Xmas, £400 a day.

They need engineers to complete a project. Currently Egyptian engineers are there but ever since the riots between Egypt and Algeria erupted over the world cup it has become too dangerous for the Egyptians to stay. Therefore they are asking if anyone can take their place.

Obviously the money is good, amazing in fact, but...

Algeria is a risky country, the foreign office details numerous terrorist attacks this year alone. Me being a white western Brit make me somewhat vulnerable but the money is good.

Dilemma!
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Go for it man - you only live once - go out there and see the world.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Wouldn't be my cup o' tea, I'd have to say....You'd miss all the presents from Santa as well...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Risking your life for £400 a day? Sod that. Id give it a miss if I were you. Ask yourself, do you really need the money?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:21 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:They need engineers to complete a project. Currently Egyptian engineers are there but ever since the riots between Egypt and Algeria erupted over the world cup it has become too dangerous for the Egyptians to stay. Therefore they are asking if anyone can take their place.

It's your lucky day!  :D

Seriously, I'd do a bit more digging to assess the level of risk. Find out exactly where will you be living and working (& any commute) and then take it from there.

If you get abducted, don't worry, we'll have a whip round for the ransom :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:26 pm

we'll post the video of you getting your head hacked off on youtube so your freinds can see it - promise.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:27 pm

LFC2007 wrote:If you get abducted, don't worry, we'll have a whip round for the ransom :laugh:

Effes can pay the ransom with all the money he is making off the bookie business :D
SupitsJonF

Postby heimdall » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Find out if you are housed in a secure accommodation and have safe transportation, if you are then go for it, it's fairly good money.
heimdall

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I am currently finding out the nitty gritty of the location and risk of the area. They want an engineer for 17 days which with my normal overtime plus the £400 inconvenience allowance I would stand to make roughly 8-9K.

Toughie.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:52 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I am currently finding out the nitty gritty of the location and risk of the area. They want an engineer for 17 days which with my normal overtime plus the £400 inconvenience allowance I would stand to make roughly 8-9K.

Toughie.

For 17 days it's worth the gamble, £9k will be very nice money plus it will be kind of cool. It's different if you have dependants though, that is of course an added factor but just make sure your life insurance covers you going out there.   :lookaround
heimdall

Postby andy_g » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:56 pm

spend 20 quid a day on paying some 9 year old with an ak47 to be your personal bodyguard and you're sorted

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:00 pm

andy_g wrote:spend 20 quid a day on paying some 9 year old with an ak47 to be your personal bodyguard and you're sorted

Yeah, its not just your car that gets scratched over there mate. So don't stiff them  :D
account deleted by request

Postby made in UK » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Do it!
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 pm

If you need the money for your family or something important do it.

If you need the money for a holiday, then don't.

I think the risk exists, and you should see under what security measures you'll work and think carefully. You might not be Egyptian, but the ones who pay you might be, so you can be attacked anyway.

If you don't need the fúcking money for anything super important, then don't do it. 

If you finally decide to, I have a friend that provides private security (mercenaries) all over Africa, I'll let you his email address in order you ask him about the situation there, if you wish. We haven't talked for a while but we made some friendship when he used to work here in my town.

PM me if you need that info
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 am

Sabre wrote:If you need the money for your family or something important do it.

I wouldnt do it even for that reason. The risk just isnt worth it. I look at it this way, if any of my kids had that kind of offer I would tell them to forget it. Risking your life to get rich is worthless in itself, and consider that if something does happen to you, what money you do make would go on funeral costs and leave your family grieving for years. Its simply not worth it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum