Windows 7 - Anyone tried it ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 am

Owzat wrote:
s@int wrote:I have been trying windows 7 for the past few days. Awesome! Much faster than Vista and none of the irritating problems, while being much prettier than xp. I have been trying the Ultimate version admittedly, but I expect the other versions will be just as good.

Up to now anyway, I can say I am very pleased and surprised that Microsoft have finally got a product that is better than XP. 

No problems with drivers, irritating pop ups or crashes so far (touch wood) .......recommended.

I'm not that impressed with it. Like you say it is quicker, loads a bit quicker, but there are plenty of downsides. Perhaps you, or someone else could PM me with any solutions to the below (or post them here and PM me to let me know)

- you can only use a wireless router to connect to the internet. I suggest anyone thinking of getting Windows 7 contacts their ISP asap, mine happened to be doing a "subscribe for 12 months, get router free". Even then you need to have an ethernet card.

There may be problems running older hardware, you may be forced to buy new printers etc from what someone quite knowledgable has told me.

- I personally have had problems running previous CD-rom software, one old games CD intended for Windows-98 but ran in compatibility mode up to Windows Vista. Anyone knows how I can run it in Windows 7 I'd appreciate it, they are excellent versions of games.

- the set-up is pretty naff IMHO. No "show desktop" icon, you have to right-click and click on "show desktop" (two clicks instead of one) Previously the open applications showed along the bottom bar, now they only show if you click on the bottom bar icon and go through (or ALT and TAB) If you are used to previous Windows this is much different. Like S@int, some will like it, others like me will prefer what they are used to.

And don't get me started on office 2007, maybe the files are smaller but it is such a naff layout and hard work. If you are thinking of getting it, learn shortcuts or you will have your work cut out. I had it a while before our office got it inflicted on us, so I am coping with it better (knew office better than most anyway). A lot of changes for change's sake, and of course to make people buy new software.

As for Windows Vista, I found it ok. Couldn't see why that got so much bad press, no better or worse than any previous version. If only the PC it came with had been half as good, maybe I wouldn't have had to get a replacement and be on Windows 7 now  :(

Not sure what you mean when you say you can only connect via wireless. If you cannot connect directly to your router using an Ethernet card, the problem is either driver support or a lack of an Ethernet card. Both of which aren't Windows 7 problems.

Have you upgraded your machine to Windows 7? If so, you may need to check to see if your drivers have been updated to a Windows 7 version. Most of the time this is done via the Windows Update page (normally within the optional updates section)
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am

s@int wrote:Quite a few problems you have there mate. I will start with the easiest ..... Show desktop....... on the bottom right hand side of the screen on the task bar right in the corner there is a little square, just click it once to show desktop. 

Do you mean the rectangle that if you hover over it it shows the desktop? Why remove the "show desktop" icon?! Makes no sense to remove what should be a relatively used function

s@int wrote:Not sure what you mean about only connecting wirelessly , I connect through an ethernet cable with no problems.

Perhaps what I was told by my ISP was not wholly accurate, my router works through the ethernet connection.

s@int wrote:I only used Vista on my kids machines and I hated it. Slow, wouldn't let you do anything without confirming it 112 times or asking you to run it in admin.   

Whenever a new op system comes out older software will be a problem, I have tried Age of Empires and had no problems apart from I have to have my display screen open on my desktop or the graphics are poor for some reason (try it I was amazed when it worked!)

I did think shortly after that the reason maybe I found Vista ok where others didn't was because it was a brand new machine and adequate memory to run it. Perhaps I don't use my PC for all the things that might make it seem slow, perhaps I'm not as impatient as some - although I'm sure you're not an impatient 'kid' like a lot come across as on here (and all the other negative traits of the youth of today)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 pm

My main problem with Vista was I am an inveterate fiddler. Always messing about trying new things (and breaking things) and new ways of doing things. Vista seemed to be set up to stop you doing things the way you want to, and forcing you to do things their way.

As an example my external hard drive stopped working last week. I managed to to recover all the data (mainly films :D ) using a free data recovery program, so I thought all I have to do now is reformat it. I wanted it in FAT 32 so that my dvd players could use it. Simple one would think ?  Windows wants you to use NTFS and is determined that you will. I tried to use dos to format it, and it got to 100% format(5 hours!)  and then it said volume too large for fat32 and stopped. I had to download an app which formatted it to FAT32 in 3 seconds.

For anyone who needs Data recovery I recommend    SIMPLE AND WHILE SLOW VERY GOOD., and if you want to format a disk in fat 32 .LINK You just click on start and 3 seconds later your disk is formatted to fat 32

EDIT You have to click on the "here" link to get the GUI .
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby babu » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:41 pm

bloody hell. I didn't read the fine print on the windows 7 versions. I have Home Premium on my work laptop, but i need to back it up on the work network.

Home premium does not allow you to do that, only Professional and above does that. So now I want to do an 'Anytime Upgrade', but its not available in my country.

sheessh. anyone wanna lend me their credit card number?? haha

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum