What's your local dish?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Lionheart » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:37 pm

What do you classify as a local dish (something that is typical to your area, region or country)??

In Oz, a roast lamb dinner, with roasted potatoes & pumpkin, peas, corn, carrots, etc. would be classified as a top class Aussie meal. But the meat pie with tomato sauce is also right up there.

We also have an abundance of local seafood - fish, oysters, prawns, scallops.

The pavlova (filled with berries, passionfruit, banana & cream is the classical Aussie dessert. While a lamington (chocolate covered sponge square and dusted with coconut would have to be the ideal Aussie cake.

What typical to your area??

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:54 pm

Yuuummmmm, an Ulster fry. Soda bread, potato bread, sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, beans and tomato. Would love one now. But its a bit late to start a fry up!!!! :D
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 am

You can't beat Fish N' Chips, Roast Beef And Yorkshire Pud and Chicken Tikka Masalla. From my area there is a new dish causing a bit of a storm, it's called a "Smooshy". Some kibab van started doing omelettes, but they weren't very good, they were more like scrambled egg done badly. They were so bad you had to get it in a pita bread. And the guy just put in whatever veg he had. It's now an established mix of sweetcorn, peas, chillies and potato, but you can get meat in it as well. Covered in BBQ sauce, you can't beat it after a night out. Other shops and vans are doing them now, adding new stuff, it's becoming an art form. Scrummy.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 am

You can't beat good old scouse. The thought of it just gets me mouth watering. Good hearty traditional Liverpool fayre made up of basically meat and potatoes and carrotts all put into a pan and cooked. Yes it just sounds like stew but it's not it's SCOUSE and only tastes best when called so. :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:48 am

kazza 1 wrote:Yuuummmmm, an Ulster fry. Soda bread, potato bread, sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms, beans and tomato. Would love one now. But its a bit late to start a fry up!!!! :D

Yeah, had this when I was in Ireland in '88. Was served with a bit of black pudding too. You can feel the cholesterol sticking the the walls of your arteries!!!    :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:22 am

Just a Sunday dinner, Fish and Chips, etc.

Typical English stuff!

(I like pizza base (just the bread - NO CHEESE!!!!!) with garlic butter and tomato puree on it!!!)

I also like a tin of beans and sausage on toast, but while they're cooking in the pan, I sometimes crush up a bag of Walker's ROast Chicken-flavoured crisps and mix it in! Yum yum!  :D
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:47 am

Pavlova is from New Zealand. Aussies always trying to nick our stuff! You are descendants of convicts though so I guess it's understandable.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:33 am

Oh, this arguement has been going on for years. Kiwis are just bitter and twisted.

The pavlova was developed by an Aussie chef, Bert Sachse in 1935 at 'The Esplanade' hotel in Perth to celebrate the brilliant 'lightness & 'whiteness' of Russian ballet dancer, Anna Pavlova.

Yes, it was based on a 'Merringue Cake' that he saw is New Zealand in the late 1920's but the NZ merringue didn't have vinegar and it was served as individual small cakes. The Aussie pavlova is one large creation.

The mistake comes when Pavlova's biographer mistakenly claimed the pavlova was developed on her 1926 tour to NZ.

I don't particularly care...it's an Aussie tradition to Aussies and that's all that counts!!!   :rasp

NZ 'pavlova'
This is the NZ 'attempt' at making pavlova. Bloody disgraceful!!!  :wwww
Last edited by Lionheart on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:44 am

thats top quality pavlova mate. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:50 am

LFC #1 wrote:Pavlova is from New Zealand. Aussies always trying to nick our stuff! You are descendants of convicts though so I guess it's understandable.  :D

You who put love bites on legs of lamb will be trying to claim the Lamington next  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:53 am

laza wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:Pavlova is from New Zealand. Aussies always trying to nick our stuff! You are descendants of convicts though so I guess it's understandable.  :D

You who put love bites on legs of lamb will be trying to claim the Lamington next  :D

Nah, all that matters to me is that our rugby team is better.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:00 am

LFC #1 wrote:
laza wrote:

lets wait for the world cup shall we?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:05 am

babu wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:
laza wrote:

CURRENT WORLD RANKING 20/03/2006

1 New Zealand 93.32

2 South Africa 88.76

3 France 85.95

4 Australia 83.93

:talktothehand  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:24 am

LFC #1 wrote:
babu wrote:
LFC #1 wrote:
laza wrote:

CURRENT WORLD RANKING 20/03/2006

1 New Zealand 93.32

2 South Africa 88.76

3 France 85.95

4 Australia 83.93

:talktothehand  :D

:D
I would have to be stupid to dispute the fact that at the moment the All Blacks are easily the best side in the world. You have some awesome players.

but lets wait for the world cup. Where for inexplicable reasons the all blacks choke.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:27 am

LFC #1 wrote:
laza wrote:

trust you to turn a food thread into Rugby

Remember the Roos are going to be at the only World Cup that counts   :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum