What a load of baubels - Xmas cheer

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:43 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:Jesus, the fella who didn't even exist

Man I hate religion

Oh for fuck sake, we have a historian in here now. How the fuck do you know he didn't exist? The man was a real living, breathing person, and it's been proven as a fact through documented history that he was real, so please keep :censored: like that to yourself.

:veryangry
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:44 pm

Lee J wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:It's just easier to type mate. Christmas and Xmas are allowed.

I know, but surely how lazy do you have to be? I know some will probably think I'm being pedantic and a bit of an ar$e, but the fella gave up his life by being nailed to a cross, so people should at least make the effort to write his name out, no?

were you there?

What the f*ck is your point?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Come on people. Let's all be happy. some people say Jesus actually had it easy. A few days on the cross for an eternity in heaven. but for us Christians it is a massive deal. Died to save all or souls so a little respect like saying Christmas day instead Xmas isn't asking that much. and those who don't believe can just be nice to those who do.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:50 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

I know, but surely how lazy do you have to be? I know some will probably think I'm being pedantic and a bit of an ar$e, but the fella gave up his life by being nailed to a cross, so people should at least make the effort to write his name out, no?

Not trying to be controversial or insensitive, mate--if the season is about the birth of Christ for you then fair play but...

I find it hard to associate a festival that is dominated by pagan (Yule) and Roman (Saturnalia) symbolism with Christ.  Evergreen trees, wreaths, yule logs, candles, merry-making, feasting, exchanging gifts etc.  All were in place long before the Church decided to honour the birth of their saviour on Dec. 25th.  In fact, it's likely that the Church chose the day so as to put a significant Christian gloss on already established event, in order to better win people around to the faith.  From everything I've read, there's no way of knowing for certain when Christ was born but it's well known that pagan solstice celebrations had happened at this time of year for hundreds of years in numerous cultures before the Church got involved. 

So I always get a little bemused by the Christians who fret about others not remembering "the reason for the season" when, if we stayed true to that principle, we'd remember it (at least in the northern hemisphere) originally as a festival celebrating the fact that the sun had reversed its southward course and was on it's way back north.  :)

Of course, with all that said, I don't like "Xmas" either...too much like textspeak for my tastes.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:52 pm

the x doesn't replace the 'christ' it replaces the 'se'... its sexmas you numbskulls.

i'll just check if the missus wants to get my baubles out

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

Not trying to be controversial or insensitive, mate--if the season is about the birth of Christ for you then fair play but...

I find it hard to associate a festival that is dominated by pagan (Yule) and Roman (Saturnalia) symbolism with Christ.  Evergreen trees, wreaths, yule logs, candles, merry-making, feasting, exchanging gifts etc.  All were in place long before the Church decided to honour the birth of their saviour on Dec. 25th.  In fact, it's likely that the Church chose the day so as to put a significant Christian gloss on already established event, in order to better win people around to the faith.  From everything I've read, there's no way of knowing for certain when Christ was born but it's well known that pagan solstice celebrations had happened at this time of year for hundreds of years in numerous cultures before the Church got involved. 

So I always get a little bemused by the Christians who fret about others not remembering "the reason for the season" when, if we stayed true to that principle, we'd remember it (at least in the northern hemisphere) originally as a festival celebrating the fact that the sun had reversed its southward course and was on it's way back north.  :)

Of course, with all that said, I don't like "Xmas" either...too much like textspeak for my tastes.

The symbolic nature of Christmas has nothing to do with the actual holiday, and I agree with you. It's not controversial at all, and I never actually seen the connection to the birth of Christ, to trees, lights, glitter and Santa at all, even as a kid. The older I got, the more the dazzle of the lights faded, and the more disenchanted it became with me. On the day itself, it merely enough just for me to remember what the day is for and that in itself makes it worthwhile. I go into town on Christmas Eve most years, and I see people going absolutely crazy rushing around like headless chickens to buy sh*t they don't even need, or probably don't even feel compelled to. Sure it's nice to give, but I honestly couldn't care if I didn't get a thing. A nice dinner and the family is enough. The madness, others can keep for themselves. It's not for me.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

The symbolic nature of Christmas has nothing to do with the actual holiday, and I agree with you. It's not controversial at all, and I never actually seen the connection to the birth of Christ, to trees, lights, glitter and Santa at all, even as a kid. The older I got, the more the dazzle of the lights faded, and the more disenchanted it became with me. On the day itself, it merely enough just for me to remember what the day is for and that in itself makes it worthwhile. I go into town on Christmas Eve most years, and I see people going absolutely crazy rushing around like headless chickens to buy sh*t they don't even need, or probably don't even feel compelled to. Sure it's nice to give, but I honestly couldn't care if I didn't get a thing. A nice dinner and the family is enough. The madness, others can keep for themselves. It's not for me.

Well put, mate.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:08 pm

Lee J wrote:how about this...

Nice Lee  :nod

Anyone who puts all the christmas lights on all over there house an out side in November is deffo fiddlin the leccy.

Someone has got them all over the place on the corner of my rd theve been up for about two weeks it looks like Blackpool illumunations its a joke. Deffo on the leccy fiddle
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

Hey, nobody asked him to be born on Xmas day, why didn't he pick say Dec 29th , halfway between Xmas and New Year, no conflict of interest there.

:nod
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

Man I hate religion

Oh for fuck sake, we have a historian in here now. How the fuck do you know he didn't exist? The man was a real living, breathing person, and it's been proven as a fact through documented history that he was real, so please keep :censored: like that to yourself.

How do you know he did exist? Where is the real proof of that then like?

I want to see a vid posted on youtube of him healing some sick people lad

:D Its so easy to wind people up

I still think its bullsh.it though, if there was a man called jesus christ he certainly wasn't the son of god, mainly because there isn't one

Unless you can provide me with proof of his existance too of course, a man hiding in the clouds watching us all
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:33 pm

Faith is all the proof people should need.
Let us who believe in something believe in it, the rest of you, well at least you'll be warm
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:07 pm

I don't believe in God, and if Jesus existed (to me)he was probably nothing more than the million and one "prophets" that have come and gone in the past 4000 or so years. I do believe in Christmas as being a very special time, especially when your kids are young. Certainly I had great Christmas's as a kid and when my own children were young.  As your children get older it loses some of the magic, but its still a special time for family and friends.

Should I pack my trunks Dawson or just plenty of suncream mate?  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:11 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

Man I hate religion

How do you know he did exist? Where is the real proof of that then like?

I want to see a vid posted on youtube of him healing some sick people lad

:D Its so easy to wind people up

I still think its bullsh.it though, if there was a man called jesus christ he certainly wasn't the son of god, mainly because there isn't one

Unless you can provide me with proof of his existance too of course, a man hiding in the clouds watching us all

3000 years of documented history, that's yer feckin proof. The man was real. If you even had a clue about it, which you don't, the Romans documented him, as did many other races. They kept records, you know. Everything passed into history can only be known through documentation and then the study and confirmation of such things. Places, events that happened in that time, geographical locations, natural events, they all tie in to what was written. Scientists have researched and studied this. Jesus Christ was a living breathing man that walked the Earth preaching was not some bullsh*t created by some kind of back in the day Stephen King novelist. Whether or not you want to believe in his miracles is another matter, but the word he preached is another and something that can't be dismissed because if you actually took the time to listen to it, you'd find it makes a sh*t load more sense than most things. Even if you don't believe in the man himself is really not the point here. The point is, if you don't believe in a lot of the things that he spoke of, his word, then you're a lesser person for it, because he did nothing but preach forgiveness and peace and who would argue with that?

Oh, and if you want to play that card of asking me of proof of God, I'll have to ask you of proof that you actually love your loved ones, and present me with some kind of physical evidence of that. Faith is not something that can't be proven. It can only be felt by the beholder.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:42 pm

What a load of Baubles,xmas cheer........

this thread is full of it
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 pm

I blame it on the credit crunch.

Woolworths are already on the brink and Currys and PC World are teethering on the edge.

The last time we faced such a miserable Xmas (financially) Liverpool were winning leagues! :blues:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum