Three peaks challenge - Tips and advice

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby andy_g » Mon May 11, 2009 2:16 pm

yeah, give me a light drizzle and a bleak pennine landscape for hiking any day. it triggers some kind of existentialist joy within me.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon May 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Mate... I've only got one piece of advice for you...... A lesson I learnt the hard way when we did a 50 km forced march with some army friends.... Make sure you wear a good pair of tight boxers with legs up to mid thigh..... otherwise your inner thighs are going to be rubbed sore..... trust me on this mate.

Not a nice feeling... :D

and break in those boots... very important.
ConnO'var

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Did about 9 mile today just to get some walking in in me new boots, was ok, took abou2 hours and a bit and me feet feel ok.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 14, 2009 12:18 am

Ace Ventura wrote:I am attempting the three peaks challenge in the last week of June for charity through our work.
Its the yorkshire one with pen-y-gent and two others - cant remember the names now.
Anyway its a 39km walk which is around the length of a marathon so some distance and it is supposed to be completed in approximatly 12 hours.

Has anyone done anything similar as i am wondering what sort of level of fitness i should have or what sort of training i should do ?

If anyone has any tips or advice it would be really appreciated as i have never done anything even remotely similar.

For f*ck's sake, make sure you take some Savlon for chaffing.

Trust me - you'll be on here thanking me for it.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I am attempting the three peaks challenge in the last week of June for charity through our work.
Its the yorkshire one with pen-y-gent and two others - cant remember the names now.
Anyway its a 39km walk which is around the length of a marathon so some distance and it is supposed to be completed in approximatly 12 hours.

Has anyone done anything similar as i am wondering what sort of level of fitness i should have or what sort of training i should do ?

If anyone has any tips or advice it would be really appreciated as i have never done anything even remotely similar.

For f*ck's sake, make sure you take some Savlon for chaffing.

Trust me - you'll be on here thanking me for it.

sudocrem is better lando  :nod
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu May 14, 2009 2:34 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Mate... I've only got one piece of advice for you...... A lesson I learnt the hard way when we did a 50 km forced march with some army friends.... Make sure you wear a good pair of tight boxers with legs up to mid thigh..... otherwise your inner thighs are going to be rubbed sore..... trust me on this mate.

abrasion isnt it? i had that when i did my first 24km walk in the first month of my life in the army. we had loads of cans of energy drinks too in our bags. and we were advised to wear tights.  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby daxy1 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:49 pm

if u have a tom tit before u go make sure u wipe good and propper and talc at the end! if u dont u will chap so bad and end up with yer :censored: sheddin like a snake! not good!

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu May 14, 2009 3:24 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Mate... I've only got one piece of advice for you...... A lesson I learnt the hard way when we did a 50 km forced march with some army friends.... Make sure you wear a good pair of tight boxers with legs up to mid thigh..... otherwise your inner thighs are going to be rubbed sore..... trust me on this mate.

abrasion isnt it? i had that when i did my first 24km walk in the first month of my life in the army. we had loads of cans of energy drinks too in our bags. and we were advised to wear tights.  :D

Yup.... that's it alright Max.

A couple of old Uni friends from home came by when we were in Malaysia on assignment. Back then, I was still pretty young and fit. The lads were regaling us with tales of their SAS training and we were slowly getting ourselves completely sloshed. At some point I asked Brian (SAS mate) a really silly question. One I've since come to regret... :D

"How hard could a forced march be?" After all we've done mountain treks and hikes in excess of 30 miles before. He just smiled and offered to go hiking in Japan... only catch was we had to do it at his pace..... so we said ok....

A couple months later, we all went up to Kamikochi National Park in Nagano, Japan and took a scenic trek.... simple 27 km trek... one way.... very little gradient, beautiful view, cool weather... How hard could it be, right? I'll tell you one thing Max..... these SAS guys are complete nutters... Their idea of a leisurely trek was to take off at a pace far beyond speed walking..... there AND back with no breaks. By the end of the trek, my thighs were rubbed so raw, I was walking like an Argie gaucho. My @rse cheeks were so abraded, I had trouble cr@pping that night... :D

Ever since then, whenever I go on an extended hike..... the ONE thing I never forget is the long legged, tight boxers or a good pair of riding shorts.

:D  :D
ConnO'var

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu May 14, 2009 5:31 pm

you know Conn i had the exact same mindset as you ''how hard can it be?'' and i was from the anti-tank platoon so we had those Spike Missiles or MILAN which you can man-pack and carry it around if not on jeeps. the missiles are like over 10 kg each and the person carrying it had 2. for me, i was the gunner so i carried the almost equally heavy launch unit...

man, imagine that, with a jungle like terrain to walk on...no nice roads and full battle order. it was painful! :laugh:  i think those SAS mates need a new hobby :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Judge » Fri May 15, 2009 7:51 am

you cant beat a good foot march complete with full 58 webbing
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 15, 2009 9:40 am

you may see this dude on yer travels mate :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Judge wrote:Image

you may see this dude on yer travels mate :D