The poker thread. - What a game.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby andy_g » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:15 am

so does anyone on here have a 'favourite' hand? one that you always play even though sometimes you know you shouldn't?

i would consider myself a fairly tight player, unless i'm tired, or drunk, or on tilt - under which circumstances i shouldn't probably be playing anyway. but there is one hand that i will always play unless someone is going in heavy in front of me, and that hand is J5. don't even ask me why. it might be because i hit a nice full house with it when i was starting out, maybe it reminds me of the jackson 5, or jurrassic 5, or something like that. maybe its just one of those superstitions.

the thing is though that i have rarely lost a lot of chips with it, unlike AA or other seemingly good pocket cards which have sometimes cost me big time.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 am

8-4  will ALWAYS play, dunno why.

Most people do the 7-2 off, but thats boring, 8-4 tho, monster hand! But I haver to be careful as my usual lot would see what I play so gotta mix it up
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 pm

dawson99 wrote:I hate JJ, worst hand in poker if you ask me. It's picture cards but very weak. A lot of people over play JJ, give me 9-10 suited any day of the week

Really?

I guess it's how "brave" you feel with JJ - if your just up against one player JJ is much stronger than 9T suited.

Im not sure what Im doing right lately - deposited $30 last wee, and my balance is now $160.

Currently sitting 6th in a £3 tournament (245 players, 41 left).

I think the play you see at $3 is a lot more reckless than $10 tables.
That's maybe why Im doing OK.
Last edited by Effes on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 pm

andy_g wrote:so does anyone on here have a 'favourite' hand? one that you always play even though sometimes you know you shouldn't?

Im a sucker for KQ or KJ, even when Im sure someone has pockets or A with high kicker
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 pm

JJ is not a better hand than 9-10 suited im sure, percentage wise... there are so many cards coming up on the board.. plus jj is deceptive, any 2 pairs 3 of a kind or qq kk aa beats you, with 9-10 suited there are so many more possibilities, and more importantly, you always know where you stand so u play or dont play, jj is just too iffy for me
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:23 pm

dawson99 wrote:JJ is not a better hand than 9-10 suited im sure, percentage wise... there are so many cards coming up on the board.. plus jj is deceptive, any 2 pairs 3 of a kind or qq kk aa beats you, with 9-10 suited there are so many more possibilities, and more importantly, you always know where you stand so u play or dont play, jj is just too iffy for me

tell you what dawson i'll take jj, you take 9 10 and we'll run it 100 times at a £5 a hand!  :D

I dont know if I really have a favourite stupid hand, I still play the Negreanu 10 7 even though I never, ever win with it but I can tell you my absolute, unequivocal least favourite "playable" hand and that is KQ, it gets you into soooo much trouble, if your short stacked and push you are an underdog 99% of the time and its a real stackbuster when your top pair hits in a raised pot in the latter stages of a  tournament.
burjennio

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:24 pm

burjennio wrote:
dawson99 wrote:JJ is not a better hand than 9-10 suited im sure, percentage wise... there are so many cards coming up on the board.. plus jj is deceptive, any 2 pairs 3 of a kind or qq kk aa beats you, with 9-10 suited there are so many more possibilities, and more importantly, you always know where you stand so u play or dont play, jj is just too iffy for me

tell you what dawson i'll take jj, you take 9 10 and we'll run it 100 times at a £5 a hand!  :D

I dont know if I really have a favourite stupid hand, I still play the Negreanu 10 7 even though I never, ever win with it but I can tell you my absolute, unequivocal least favourite "playable" hand and that is KQ, it gets you into soooo much trouble, if your short stacked and push you are an underdog 99% of the time and its a real stackbuster when your top pair hits in a raised pot in the latter stages of a  tournament.

run ti 100 tiems, id fold more often as i knwo where i stand, whereas youd spend more chips and lose more... that is fact no?

We all have our preferences, I have just had so many beats on JJ i fold them all the time now before even seeing a flop
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:40 pm

dawson99 wrote:
burjennio wrote:

run ti 100 tiems, id fold more often as i knwo where i stand, whereas youd spend more chips and lose more... that is fact no?

We all have our preferences, I have just had so many beats on JJ i fold them all the time now before even seeing a flop

Jesus H Daws if you fell you have to fold JJ preflop mate there must be some serious flaws in you game, can you recall situations where you've lost big with them? I find that if your struggling with them (with any hand for that matter) just switch into straightforward preflop mode, fold everything but good pairs and AK/AQ early, raise with AA KK. In mid position raise into unraised pots with pocket 77 and higher, Ak-A10 and KQ suited. in late position (button & cut-off) you can raise with anything you want within reason (connectors, high suited etc) but always take into consideration what kind of players are at your table, against loose inexperienced players tighten up (Something I really need to do more) and agaisnt a table of tight players use your position and raise away, just be wary when they start playing back.
burjennio

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:45 pm

burjennio wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
burjennio wrote:

Jesus H Daws if you fell you have to fold JJ preflop mate there must be some serious flaws in you game, can you recall situations where you've lost big with them? I find that if your struggling with them (with any hand for that matter) just switch into straightforward preflop mode, fold everything but good pairs and AK/AQ early, raise with AA KK. In mid position raise into unraised pots with pocket 77 and higher, Ak-A10 and KQ suited. in late position (button & cut-off) you can raise with anything you want within reason (connectors, high suited etc) but always take into consideration what kind of players are at your table, against loose inexperienced players tighten up (Something I really need to do more) and agaisnt a table of tight players use your position and raise away, just be wary when they start playing back.

been burnt too many times, dont think ive ever actually won a hand with JJ. if no one raises i will call the min call, but thats it.

any raise and i fold my JJ every time. Anything else i can be brave, but JJ, i have lost TOO many times
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Nothing's sweeter than having JJ and a flop of J, 8, 3 or whatever
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Effes wrote:Nothing's sweeter than having JJ and a flop of J, 8, 3 or whatever

id still lose!!! turn river would be 9, 3 and the other guy would have 4 3s...
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 pm

dawson99 wrote:

I think you have this voodoo thing with JJ mate - it can play well if you play it properly.

I just came 20th (money back) in the tourney I was playing 999 got done by a flush -
he got 2 spades on the turn and river to beat me.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 pm

Effes wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

I think you have this voodoo thing with JJ mate - it can play well if you play it properly.

I just came 20th (money back) in the tourney I was playing 999 got done by a flush -

if you play it properly???

nah, its a naff hand, people see the picture connector and things its class, but too much can beat it for it to be a strong hand
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Effes wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

if you play it properly???

nah, its a naff hand, people see the picture connector and things its class, but too much can beat it for it to be a strong hand

After all I said, I got knocked out this afternoon with JJ  :laugh:

Flop was 10, 8, 3

He had QQ - but I was low on chips and needed something to happen, I suspected he held better.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:36 pm

I just folded JJ and would have won a decent pot - your fault Daws!  :D
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum