The "n" word - Who can use it?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:08 am

Watching the news today with regard to the housemate in Big Brother for using the word Nigger. I just got to wondering who can use it and when is it racist? Ron Atkinson got fired from ITV for using then went on a personal crusade to determine whether using that word was racist. Indeed many black people use it when embracing another black person, "Hey nigger hows you and ya B.itch?" see where im coming from?

Chris Rock also mentioned in one of his stand up shows, "I love black people but man i hate niggers !"

Is this a law which means black people can use this word and white people cant? Correct me if im wrong but im finding this whole thing ridiculous, its either an offensive word or it isnt, where do we draw the line?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:28 am

Yeah black people can say it, white folk cant.

Stupid i know
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:49 am

Tricky subject isnt it, ive seen many people viewing but only one response. In my opinion I think the whole thing is crazy, I dont watch Big Brother, I really cant stand the program but the fact someone was evicted because of the use of the "N" word is daft, its as if if you say this word you are codemning yourself to a world of hate which in fact your not, its very much used more today in slang as it was back then when it was abusive. Do we really have to wait for the PC brigade to deem whether its right or wrong? i'll go ahead of them, it depends on the matter in which it is used.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:58 am

It's a contentious issue and it's a word I wouldn't use purely because it has no meaning to me.

As for there being double standards, I think the historical context of Black oppression and slavery is something that makes it offensive when used by white people.

I disagree with the use of the word by anyone, regardless of colour, on the basis that it harks back to a draconian age in the past.

If a white person used the word with the intent of being racist, then it is wrong and it should be treated like any other racist word - completely unacceptable. If a white person used it in the context of greeting another black person, then I would question why that white person would use the word in the first place.

Is it OK for Black people to use the word in greeting another black person?

I would argue that given its historical meaning, why use it in any situation if that person considers it derogatory to them.

To sum up, I don't like the way in which this word creates an "us and them" atmosphere, the colour of your skin should not determine which words you are allowed to use. If it is so offensive when used in one context, IMO, if it is so derogatory I question why it is then used in a friendly manner.
LFC2007

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:02 am

Kharhaz wrote:Tricky subject isnt it, ive seen many people viewing but only one response. In my opinion I think the whole thing is crazy, I dont watch Big Brother, I really cant stand the program but the fact someone was evicted because of the use of the "N" word is daft, its as if if you say this word you are codemning yourself to a world of hate which in fact your not, its very much used more today in slang as it was back then when it was abusive. Do we really have to wait for the PC brigade to deem whether its right or wrong? i'll go ahead of them, it depends on the matter in which it is used.

That's a good point Kharhaz and it raises the issue of the intent in which the word is used, intent is a grey area i.e. it can sometimes be hard to determine what the intent of the person using the word was, it is left for us to gauge the tone and context within which it has been used, even then it can be hard to know what the intent of the person was.

As for Big Brother, I agree, what a load of sh!te.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:26 am

Chris Rock

Unless people havent heard it here is the link.

It gets me how there is a limit, black people and white people are the same, we go through the same rubbish, in fact how many black or white people have lost out on jobs because the person weve lost to is hindu or gay? and yet, even now, the use of one word still rules above all. Lets make it perfectly clear again, black, white, indian, gay, lesbian, bi, lets put whatever behind us, just make it fair. The fact that a word is alienating people because the PC brigades says so is wrong. Lets just get on with the revolution that is todays world.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 am

Kharhaz wrote:Lets just get on with the revolution that is todays world.

EH! You mean Rafalution!

:buttrock
LFC2007

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:15 pm

In the 1980s film the commitments there is a line that the irish are the blacks of Europe, the Dubs are the blacks of ireland and the northsiders are the blacks of dublin, so say it "I'm black and I'm proud"

Therefore , when I go on holiday to USA this year I can greet black people with the word nigger. :D
Last edited by Big Niall on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dimshen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:07 pm

ull get stabbed and or shot in the eye.

Black people can use the term as it has been 'taken back', for a white person to use it shows either racism or stupidity and ignorence.

To say that big brothers decision to kick her out was incorrect is ridiculous and i find it quite worrying that so many of u have this view. To say that word around people you dont know and on nation television is utter stupidity, regardless of whether it was meant as a racial insult (which i beleive it wasnt) but either way it cant be tolerated.

the silly girl has gone and f*cked up her life and she's only got herself to blame.

shame, she was a beaut! :D
Dimshen

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:12 pm

its just a word in my opinion, and the utterence of that single word does not mean the person is racist, if the person said "all n*ggers are (insert bad adjective here)" then that would show a sign of racism.

surely if someone was racist they would do more than utter one inocuous word, especially when the word is uttered on a daily basis and can be heard in songs by black artists
112-1077774096

Postby Judge » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:18 pm

this picture is great, makes me want to dance :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:01 pm

the word is racistg, but in the context she used it it wasnt racist. its just channel4 pr team making up for alleged racism (in fact bullying) in the last celeb series.

id like to see what would happen if someone used the word 'honky' or even chav... both offensive words used to degregate a certain portion of society but all this affirmative action bulldh!t just means the scales will never be level.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:02 pm

Dimshen wrote:ull get stabbed and or shot in the eye.

Black people can use the term as it has been 'taken back', for a white person to use it shows either racism or stupidity and ignorence.

To say that big brothers decision to kick her out was incorrect is ridiculous and i find it quite worrying that so many of u have this view. To say that word around people you dont know and on nation television is utter stupidity, regardless of whether it was meant as a racial insult (which i beleive it wasnt) but either way it cant be tolerated.

the silly girl has gone and f*cked up her life and she's only got herself to blame.

shame, she was a beaut! :D

Good post, makes sense
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby grayghost » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Just don't use it at all and there will never be a issue.
grayghost

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

How about "white boy" I'm a man not a f**king boy! or "cracker" ?

Would a black person be kicked off for using these terms?

I think it was a stitch up by C4 who after the celebrity big brother wanted to be seen as "tough on racism"
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum