The "n" word - Who can use it?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:39 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:
I dont use the word, i see no need for it, but my point is why is one word acceptable for black people to use and not white people?

Because it was originally used by white oppressors when they were enslaving black people. So the use of the word by non-blacks is an absolute no-no, and even some blacks may not (and probably don't) appreciate its use, even by other blacks.

Chris Rock could be excused because he's black and he's also using it to identify a group that he has observed and it's being used in a context which can be justified.

The word itself was used by our ancestors to describe black people many years ago, we dont live in that kind of world now, so why does that word have so much an effect even now, back then it was used in a term to describe hatred and disgust, its very rare people use that same term today.

The context when used by non-blacks is the same.

It's done to demean and insult, so it cannot be used.

Yawn , Get a grip , when one member of a group uses a derogatory term to another member of the same group the "insult" becomes (consciously) self depreciating .
Grow up .

Always enjoyed your off the wall humour Manhattan but on this issue you're just off the wall .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:59 am

You play on the "group" idea, that is where I think the problem lies. Referring to people as another group just because the colour of their skin is different is the problem. If black people consider the word so derogatory in one context, then don't use it as a word in jovial fashion, it's a contradiction of its use and in my opinion it's wrong. They may use it in a self-deprecating way amongst certain people, but that's based on the assumption that black groups don't integrate with white people, we are all people - a word should not determine which "group" is or is not allowed to use a word.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:33 am

Well me and my masses greet eachother with ' Whats up Honky ?' Black people cant use that. :D
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:39 am

Yawn ,

Awwww, you are sleepy.

Get a grip ,

I have. My grip of the variants of language and cultural groups is very tight.

when one member of a group uses a derogatory term to another member of the same group the "insult" becomes (consciously) self depreciating .

When a black person in a certain social group uses the term, it isn't necessarily an insult. As mentioned before on this thread, there is a difference between "nigger" which is used as an insult and "nigga" which is used in the context of "ma boy!" or "ma main man!!!"

Grow up .

We all are, with every moment that passes.

That's the way of life.

Always enjoyed your off the wall humour Manhattan but on this issue you're just off the wall .

It was a good album, but it lacked the maturity of "Bad" and the darkness of "Dangerous".
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:29 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:

It was a good album, but it lacked the maturity of "Bad" and the darkness of "Dangerous".

:laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kunilson » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:28 pm

black ppl who say it to one another, they are the group which the "term" would only offend so if they are ok with it used between one another there is no problem.

someone who aint black shouldn't say it. why would u want to anyway? unless your'e racist but then u wouldnt care.
if u got a black mate that doesnt mind it in a joking way, then fine say it to him/her only. dont just throw it out there to someone u met 5 days ago on national tv. thats just dumb, not racist context but dumb anyhow.

I dont see where all this grey area is, seems pretty simple to understand. Now whether it should be used even between black ppl or whatever is where the grey area comes in. But thats a seperate issue alltogether.

im sure what ive said has been said before but i only read the first and last page. sry.

oh by the by, i guess its annoying that this has happened after all the drama from the celeb series, but its still important issue and the action taken was right, now just have to move on.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:38 pm

kunilson wrote:black ppl who say it to one another, they are the group which the "term" would only offend so if they are ok with it used between one another there is no problem.

If it's so derogatory in one context, if it represents black oppression and slavery then why glorify the word by using it in a jovial fashion.

It causes a separation between supposed "groups". Using it harks back to segregation, one word for one "group". Just don't use it.

Maybe certain black people don't understand the history of the word, but I find it contradicting that people would use it in jovial fashion whilst also considering it the most derogatory word possible.
LFC2007

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:40 pm

kunilson wrote:black ppl who say it to one another, they are the group which the "term" would only offend so if they are ok with it used between one another there is no problem.

someone who aint black shouldn't say it. why would u want to anyway? unless your'e racist but then u wouldnt care.
if u got a black mate that doesnt mind it in a joking way, then fine say it to him/her only. dont just throw it out there to someone u met 5 days ago on national tv. thats just dumb, not racist context but dumb anyhow.

I dont see where all this grey area is, seems pretty simple to understand. Now whether it should be used even between black ppl or whatever is where the grey area comes in. But thats a seperate issue alltogether.

im sure what ive said has been said before but i only read the first and last page. sry.

oh by the by, i guess its annoying that this has happened after all the drama from the celeb series, but its still important issue and the action taken was right, now just have to move on.

you're the only one saying its a grey area by saying one race can say the word when another cant. we are just saying that no one should say it
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:08 pm

i see, well yeah the history of the word is terrible and it shouldn't be used.
But the people who can? use it are the ones i mentioned.....that can get away with it without causing uproars i was trying to say..

and i was respinding to the discussion that i watched on that big brother big mouth show tbh.

Think it will be a long time before the word is phased out, especially with the amount it is used in songs/films. Take that away and half the job is done. out of sight out of mind kindo thing.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:40 pm

GOAT wrote:
Dimshen wrote:ull get stabbed and or shot in the eye.

Black people can use the term as it has been 'taken back', for a white person to use it shows either racism or stupidity and ignorence.

To say that big brothers decision to kick her out was incorrect is ridiculous and i find it quite worrying that so many of u have this view. To say that word around people you dont know and on nation television is utter stupidity, regardless of whether it was meant as a racial insult (which i beleive it wasnt) but either way it cant be tolerated.

the silly girl has gone and f*cked up her life and she's only got herself to blame.

shame, she was a beaut! :D

Good post, makes sense

these dickheads are running rings around us, pissin themselves, one day......
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:15 am

So it would be fair to say the word in general is ugly but is used today in not such an ugly manner but general ignorance. It it used in a way which is acceptable to certain people, mostly youngsters, but it is used in a manner today with a totally different meaning. How about this, the word nigger used as acknowledgement that the person we are talking to is black but dont mean the disrespect that it was used in?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:52 am

Kharhaz, the best and safest policy would be to simply not use the word at all.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks72 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:32 am

Agree with your post...

sorry...double post...my comps playing up again  :D
Last edited by shanks72 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks72 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:42 am

Agree with your post...

(Don't watch BB...but happened to be ironing a couple of shirts while my son was watching it..  :D )

Anyways..as I understand it..all housemates were advised about what they shouldn't say before the prog started.

I really don't think Emily meant it in a racist way and she seemed genuinly shocked by the whole thing.

Charly on the otherhand did appear offended by the remark, although she defended Emily...

But, if Ch4's prewarnings were correct, then I don't think Emily should have said it...why risk it, unless she wasn't thinking.

I didn't realise black people called each other by this word..(obviously I'm not that 'with it').

But I definately don't think a white person should use this word to a black person...I think it's obvious it would cause offence.
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:28 am

At the end of the day, what's good for the Goose is good for the gander, and if one section of society is entitled to use the "N" word, then so should the rest.*

Anything else is just hypocrisy, plain and simple.

The only way this will ever be resolved is if everyone stops using the f*cking word. Those gimps who parade about with their hands sewn to their genitals, calling themselves rappers are the worst protagonists going. Every last one of them is a c*nt, so if we shoot the feckers, we'll already be halfway there.
(Let's be honest - no-one will miss their "music". :D)

*Please be aware that I personally would never dream of calling a black person a n*****, which is, in actual fact, a colloquial term derived from the word "Negro." (Just to clarify some folks' inaccuracies.)
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum