The "n" word - Who can use it?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:36 pm

We don't know if anyone was offended , but going by the discussions in this thread alone , you can be sure there would have been murder if bb had done nothing.

Your right about the welsh girl by the way , her accent is feckin annoying . iSN'T IT DAFFYDD
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:40 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
dawson99 wrote:calling someone a spastic is more degrading to certain people tho, and you arent listening to the context. maybe u live ina  village with not much interacial action, but times are a changing and people do actually call people that. i call one of my best mates 'apu' and always ask him to go back his cornershop and marry his cousin. but its meant in jest, he knows that as do i. he calls me pidgeon sh!t honky redneck boy.

she actually said: "You're pushing it out, you n***er,"
which ok, was wrong, but thenc harly said something along the lines of "yeah, im a n***er"

its just old 60 year old conservatives in suits who have probably never interacted with anyone of different colour (and the one 'other culture' spokesperson so it looks good who dont know what they are doing

Comes back to context Dawson, I don't know what context the Big brother person said those things in because it is a pile of W*nk.

But I would question why anyone would use the word given its historical meaning, surely there are other words you can use.

Now you are giving the morons on the show way too much credit, they are clearly too thick to know the historical meaning, they only know the word from MTV.

Agree don't watch it, it is rubbish, they pick the worst of society and then they become celebrated, why anyone is interested with them any further than the show is beyond me.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:We don't know if anyone was offended , but going by the discussions in this thread alone , you can be sure there would have been murder if bb had done nothing.

Your right about the welsh girl by the way , her accent is feckin annoying . iSN'T IT DAFFYDD

You're right, but why have they not got rid of charley? they have reaffirmed the use of nigger by certain black people, only. Either we can all say it, or none of us should.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:56 pm

from what I have read there was no malice in the sentance, no hate, no disrespect (like the celebrity one). I don't know if the black woman was offended or not (as I don't watch it) so I don't think the white woman should have been kicked out.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm sure St Michael would have an opinion on this thread as he's black ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:38 pm

Paul C wrote:I'm sure St Michael would have an opinion on this thread as he's black ???

I didn't know that was a prerequisite to having an opinion on the subject...  :;):
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:49 pm

i can talk about it because i knew some black people once  :nod
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:05 pm

in my opinion they where wrong to send her packing and ive no doubt had we not had all the cr@p in the last CBB then this would have already been forgotten and she would still be in the house, yes they would of had a word with her but that would of been it, the problem now is ch4 are being watched so there hands where tied.

to say here life might be ruined after this just goes to show how pathetic some people in this country are.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:12 pm

The bootom line is this, you know before going onto a show like BB that using controversial words that are culturally and politically sensitive is something that is highly likely to cause uproar, we know the "n" word is an offensive word to certain people and in a certain context, she knows it is an offensive word - on national TV you would therefore think these people may have the brains to realise that using it in any way would be a no go area. Especially after the fiasco of the last one.

But for me just SWITCH IT OFF, don't watch it - controversy is the name of their game.
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:40 pm

Anyone watches "The Boondocks" ? there is an episode that deals clearly with this type of situation.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:58 pm

The word has been largely reclaimed in certain areas of culture, specifically the hip/hop and gangsta rap genres. It's also a street word used among black friends as a term of endearment.

But the essential thing to consider is that it's largely only acceptable for black people to use it amongst themselves and with that only a segment of the black community.

It's very simple, if you aren't black, then you can't use the word.

Nor should anyone wish to do so, or complain that they can't.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:00 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:The word has been largely reclaimed in certain areas of culture, specifically the hip/hop and gangsta rap genres. It's also a street word used among black friends as a term of endearment.

But the essential thing to consider is that it's largely only acceptable for black people to use it amongst themselves and with that only a segment of the black community.

It's very simple, if you aren't black, then you can't use the word.

Nor should anyone wish to do so, or complain that they can't.

I dont use the word, i see no need for it, but my point is why is one word acceptable for black people to use and not white people? The word itself was used by our ancestors to describe black people many years ago, we dont live in that kind of world now, so why does that word have so much an effect even now, back then it was used in a term to describe hatred and disgust, its very rare people use that same term today.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:01 am

F'uck me .I've read through some sh'ite in my years in this forum but this thread takes the f'ucking cake .

who can use the word nigger ? 

All you f'ucking half baked fair skinned belly button gazers should take a walk down Brixton market and greet every black person you see (that'll be 99% of them) with "hi nigger" . Hopefully you've arranged the ambulance in advance.

Nigger or Nigga ( to get the accent right) is extremely offensive to black people when expressed by a white person . End of story, if you don't agree , like I suggested take your debate to some predominately black area and see how long you survive .  If black people are comfortable addressing each other in a derogatory fashion thats their perogative . Get over it !
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:14 am

woof woof ! wrote:F'uck me .I've read through some sh'ite in my years in this forum but this thread takes the f'ucking cake .

who can use the word nigger ? 

All you f'ucking half baked fair skinned belly button gazers should take a walk down Brixton market and greet every black person you see (that'll be 99% of them) with "hi nigger" . Hopefully you've arranged the ambulance in advance.

Nigger or Nigga ( to get the accent right) is extremely offensive to black people when expressed by a white person . End of story, if you don't agree , like I suggested take your debate to some predominately black area and see how long you survive .  If black people are comfortable addressing each other in a derogatory fashion thats their perogative . Get over it !

I offer my sincere apologies, I thought I was posting in a general chat forum, creating a topic which people can generally chat about. My bad !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:19 am

I dont use the word, i see no need for it, but my point is why is one word acceptable for black people to use and not white people?

Because it was originally used by white oppressors when they were enslaving black people. So the use of the word by non-blacks is an absolute no-no, and even some blacks may not (and probably don't) appreciate its use, even by other blacks.

Chris Rock could be excused because he's black and he's also using it to identify a group that he has observed and it's being used in a context which can be justified.

The word itself was used by our ancestors to describe black people many years ago, we dont live in that kind of world now, so why does that word have so much an effect even now, back then it was used in a term to describe hatred and disgust, its very rare people use that same term today.

The context when used by non-blacks is the same.

It's done to demean and insult, so it cannot be used.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum