The echo moves to oldham - Another blow for the city

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Post and Echo production to move 

The owners of Liverpool's two daily papers are moving print production out of the city to Greater Manchester.

The printing of the Daily Post and the Liverpool Echo will be carried out at Trinity Mirror's site in Oldham, the media group has announced.

About 100 jobs are to be affected by the move, which will take place at the end of next year.

Unions reacted angrily to the decision and said they would call for new investment in the city during talks.

Trinity Mirror said there would be opportunities for some staff to move, but redundancies were likely.

'Bitter blow'

A consultation is now under way with workers in Liverpool. Although print production is moving, all other parts of the newspaper will stay in the city.

Paul Finegan, Unite Regional Officer, said: "This announcement comes as a bitter blow particularly during the city's Capital of Culture year.

"These are local newspapers providing news for local people and we believe they should stay in Liverpool.

"We are meeting with the company on Monday and will be calling on them to redirect this investment to Liverpool.

Trinity Mirror said it was a difficult decision to make

"In addition we will be calling on the people of Liverpool, local business and politicians to support us in our quest to have this historic part of Liverpool's culture kept in Liverpool."

The Daily Post was first published at a small printing shop on Lord Street in 1855 while the first edition of the Echo was in 1879.

The transfer to Oldham will take 15 months.

Trinity Mirror is investing £7.5m to create the single production site in Oldham, with an extension to the new colour presses, which came on line in December 2007.

Rupert Middleton, group director of manufacturing, said: "This has been a very difficult decision given our history of printing in Liverpool and the impact on our team there.

Further job losses

"But this plan will give the North West publishing business clear benefits of improved print quality, full colour and enhanced inserting capabilities that are currently unavailable in Liverpool as well as reduced costs."

Last month Trinity Mirror announced 65 jobs cuts at its newspapers in the West Midlands.

The company has also announced major changes to its free and paid-for weekly papers across Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales.

And there will be editorial job losses, office closures and mergers of other regional offices.

In addition, Liverpool's Daily Post morning newspaper faces changes by the end of the year.

A company announcement said: "We are exploring a number of options (to) secure the long term future of the Liverpool Daily Post.

"This work will be concluded by the end of this year."
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Your living in Brasil, whats your point Reg ???
Last edited by woof woof ! on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:59 pm

It's quite depressing news really.

Nothing's sacred anymore.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:45 pm

bad news. particularly when you realise that if manchester needed an enema they'd shove it right up oldham
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:40 am

woof woof ! wrote:Your living in Brasil, whats your point Reg ???

Would of thought it was obvious Woofers, but I'll explain just for you>

I'm proud of my city and read the Echo website every day to get local and footy news. I dont like traditions being broken and printing the Echo in Oldham is a slap in the face for a city that should be printing its own paper as it always has. 

Thats what.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:50 am

Reg wrote:

I'm proud of my city and read the Echo website every day to get local and footy news. I dont like traditions being broken and printing the Echo in Oldham is a slap in the face for a city that should be printing its own paper as it always has. 

Thats what.

:laugh:
Woof told from Brazil!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Reg wrote:

Thats what.

Fair do's Reg , didn't realise Brasil was that boring .   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:45 pm

Reg, if you don't like a break in tradition, why move to Brazil?
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:58 pm

A person can live wherever he wants to , it's he's choice , perhaps maybe because of work obligations .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Why move to Brasil??

I wonder  :D
SupitsJonF

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:19 am

Yea thats possibly one of the reasons as well :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum