The computer games thread - 56K Modem Warning/Image heavy

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Feeney » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:03 pm

Reckon i'm gonna wait until PS3. I'm just thankful I originally chose the PS1 over the Saturn, and there was some deliberating, i'll tell ya!! :laugh:

Has anyone seen the Revolution controller? It's like a frikkin remote control!  :Oo:

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:04 pm

Hey, you shouldn't knock Nintendo!!
They provided the building blocks to what the console market is today.

I personally admire Nintendo's attempts to constantly inovate and provide new and exciting concepts in the gaming world.
Ok, so they will always play third fiddle to both Sony and Microsoft from now onwards, (and this is mainly due to there weak approach to marketing their products), but at least they try to do change things in what it a pretty stale console industry.

They introduced shoulder buttons, analouge sticks, rumble pads etc to the console market and always bring something fresh with their machines.

Although the PSP will outsell the DS tenfold, i have to admit that the DS is the more inovative machine and out of the three next gen consoles to come out, the revolution probably brings the most new ideas to the industry, while the 360 and ps3 will simply boast the usual, bigger and better graphics etc etc etc...

Unfortunatley i can't see nintendo fighting it out with the big boys for much longer and the revolution will probably be its last attempt of a console.  Nintendo will probably follow Sega and focus soley on software in the future, which is no bad thing since they make excellent titles.
It's just a shame that a company as great as nintendo is, it couldn't foresee the shift in gaming from being a 'toy' to a mainstream culture.  In the end, their stance of making family friendly titles has been their own downfall.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:08 pm

i,m waiting for star wars battlefront 2 to come out
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:57 pm

Nintendo certainly has been in decline since the glory days of the Super Nintendo, when every second person had one. Nintendo's main problem has been that they have focused on making games children orientated, whereas the real market for computer and video games is men aged 18-35. A 6 year old kid might get 5 or 6 games a year as presents or from saving up his pocket money, whereas a dedicated gamer in his twenties could buy 15 or more games a year for his Playstation, Xbox or PC. Sony and Microsoft were very quick to spot this and have almost driven Nintendo out of the market.

Nintendo are hanging on by a thread, their main weakness is also, conversely, their biggest strength. Nintendo and is affiliates still make the best games for the 0-12 year old market and in fairness, Nintendo games are often unparralled for originality and gameplay. However, manufacturing consoles is a stupedously expensive business. The XBox 360, for example, will cost about €350 to buy but I reckon that it costs Microsoft at least €800 (probably more) to manufacture the machine!! Therefore the company makes a massive loss on the hardware, but makes its money back on licensing games. The same goes for Sony and surely the same goes for Nintendo. It could happen that Nintendo will not be able to afford this much longer and will pull out of the hardware market.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:45 pm

Any like Civilisation? What 'bout you Woof?

Civ 4 will be out at the end of the month and you can pick it up for £18 at Play.com!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Feeney » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:22 pm

Piewhack wrote:Hey, you shouldn't knock Nintendo!!
They provided the building blocks to what the console market is today.

Certainly wasn't a knock at them Pie - as you have mentioned, they are one of the pioneers in inovation and originality. That's why in my life time i've owned a SNES , an original Game Boy and am currently enjoying Yoshi's Island on GB Advance... what a game!!  :laugh:  :buttrock

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:42 pm

Yeah, sorry about that, u weren't knockin nintedo at all were you? i just got a bit carried away there!! haha.

But as you were saying, the new nintendo controller basically is a remote control!  However, it's designed with the capability to attach different controller styles to it so you can replicate the gamecube pad and hopefully older styles like the snes controller etc.  It's also sensitive to motion, which will bring an intersting slant to gaming ideas.  for example, you can use the controller/remote thing, to imitate fishing, swordplay etc etc.. could work i guess.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:47 pm

JBG wrote:Ghost Recon 3 on Xbox360 and PC.

The Xbox is friggin' cool. It has a three core processor running at about 3GHZ. The best available PC processor (on home PCs) is only a dual core processor running at roughly 2.8GHZ (and costs three times the price of a Xbox360 system!).

the graphics are pretty stunning.

i recently have been shelling thru medal of honour (rising sun), and doing pretty well by my standards.
But am tempted to invest in one of those systems, if the graphics are as good as they seem.

Also, ive heard the xbox and nintendo can have songs uploaded into them, is that true??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:52 pm

The last Xbox had the capability to upload songs onto the harddrive so i the Xbox 360 will have the same option to do so.  I don't think that enough of the Xbox games had the option to let you use your uploaded tracks whislt you played your game, hopefully this will be standard in the 360.

I'll be pre-ordering my Xbox 360 tonight and i'll also be picking up a copy of morrowind: Oblivion too.. that should keep me happy for a good couple of months!!
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Has anyone seen the newest Project Gotham 3 videos on gametrailers.com? their in game footage and omg their impressive. :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Piewhack » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:58 pm

is that the footage where the car is driving over the bridge??

Seen glimpse of it yesterday.. if its the same one, then yes, it's very impressive, especailly when the camera rotates and looks to the left and you see the city skyline through the bridge.. very very good stuff.
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:42 pm

Started playing Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy on the Xbox, it was good at first but then stupid insects come into it it really spoils it, it starts as a thriller/horror and then you end up playing the murderer, policeman, police woman, some waitress :kungfu:  done me head in, but Ill try and finish it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:49 pm

I heard Fahrenheit is quite good CGGY.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:53 pm

The upcoming Warhammer strategy game on PC looks amazing!  :nod
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:56 pm

JBG wrote:I heard Fahrenheit is quite good CGGY.

Ive been quite addicted to it JBG, but the im halfway in the game, and all stupid like mini games that you have to play are starting to come in it, its really spoiled it TBH graphics are great then you get these giant beetles and bugs, when theres no need for them really.
Heres some screen shots.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/gallery.php?id=255

JBG that Black and White 2 has brilliant graphics, but is it a stratgedy game? or adventure?
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum