The ashes 2009 - Discuss

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby babu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 am

Oh yeah this is not looking good. we win this, means England have to win the last one. draw won't be good enough.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:14 am

well that's it. Aus won by an innings, which means England needs to win the next match.

Fantasti turnaround, pressure right back in the England camp.

wooo hhoooo!!!

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gerrard30391 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:48 am

Im all for this....

Marcus Trescothick appears to have softened his stance on a possible return to international cricket, saying he would consider coming back into the England side if they asked the left-hander to return to the final Ashes Test at The Oval.

Trescothick, 33, has not been involved with England since he pulled out of the 2006-07 Ashes tour just before the start of their disastrous 5-0 Test series whitewash.

The left-hander is only out of the international picture because a stress-related problem means he is unable to go on long tours overseas, but a one-off return at The Oval would be well within his capabilities.

With England suffering a humiliating innings defeat at Headingley, changes look inevitable with Ravi Bopara and Ian Bell both facing the axe ahead of the crucial final Test,

Kent skipper Robert Key is a favourite to come into the side, while veteran Mark Ramprakash's name has also been mentioned alongside that of Trescothick.

Proven

The Somerset man has proved himself at Test level, and this season he has been in fine form with 1,330 first-class runs at 78.23, and after initially insisting he is retired, Trescothick says that he would listen if England came calling.

"If I was asked, I don't know," admitted Trescothick. "If they threw questions at me, I would listen. But until they do I can't answer.

"I am just carrying on what I am doing at Somerset. Carrying on playing. Anything else is so hypothetical at the moment.

"It's always nice to be thought of. Of course it is. But people are talking about it more than I am thinking about it."

England skipper Andrew Strauss failed in a bid to lure his former opening partner back to the England side for the World Twenty20 earlier this year, but a one-off Test match could be a different story.

Trescothick averages 62 in Tests at The Oval, and scored a double hundred as England won a crucial match against South Africa back in 2003.

Regret
Trescothick spoke of his regret at not being able to continue his England career when he turned down Strauss' last approach for the World Twenty20.

"After taking everything into consideration, I reluctantly had to tell Strauss that playing for England again was just not possible," Trescothick said, four months ago.

"I had no choice but to say no. I might be wrong, but I still believe that if it was as simple as turning up and batting for England, I could do it and succeed.

"Playing cricket for England was the great ambition of my life and, until I became ill, I loved everything about it, so not being able to do so now is a source of great regret.

"I miss the buzz and the stage and the chance to put my ability to the sternest test, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about it often."
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Goeff Millar the selector has said that Bangers wont get selected so he can carry on getting the runs for the mighty somerset :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Bringing back Tresco would be like sticking Scholes into the England Squad the day before a world cup final (i no that is not possible) and then starting him as captain.  :D
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 am

Well England's first innings of the last test is almost over. If you can get to 350, it will be a decent enough score IMO.

Pitch is breaking up and you guys have a spinner.

I really really hope there is no rain. Would be nice to have a 2-1 scoreline and keep the ashes!!

Come on Aussie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 am

babu wrote:Well England's first innings of the last test is almost over. If you can get to 350, it will be a decent enough score IMO.

Pitch is breaking up and you guys have a spinner.

I really really hope there is no rain. Would be nice to have a 2-1 scoreline and keep the ashes!!

Come on Aussie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shane warne said those exact words in the first 3 sentences on tv yesterday !
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:28 am

Judge wrote:shane warne said those exact words in the first 3 sentences on tv yesterday !

I don't have the commentary over here. Warney predicted a 350 total?

All out now for 332, anyhow.

I've got a good feeling about this.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:39 am

Its going to be very finely balanced i think and Swann is going to be an important player last two days
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:56 am

ok kangaroo boys - cop some of this fine England bowling!

Eng 332

If we can bowl them for 250 then go into bat and rack up a 300 run lead - they're fk'd.

the ashes are coming home! C'MON ENGLAND!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:52 pm

A wicket before lunch would be nice
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Under the Southern Cross I Stand
A sprig of wattle in my hand,
A native of my native land,
Australia you little beauty

:D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:25 pm

out of the woodwork laza cometh  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Ponting bowled! 85 for 2
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 pm

i predict an aussie collapse and they'll be bowled out for 176
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum