Mind you, this is conceptual art.

What's art?

Discuss.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 am

Acording to Wiki "Art is the process or product of deliberately and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. In its narrow sense, the word art most often refers specifically to the visual arts, including media such as painting, sculpture, and printmaking. However, "the arts" may also encompass a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature. Aesthetics is the branch of philosophy which studies art.

Traditionally, the term art was used to refer to any skill or mastery. This conception changed during the Romantic period, when art came to be seen as "a special faculty of the human mind to be classified with religion and science".[1] Generally, art is a human activity, made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions. Beyond this description, there is no general agreed-upon definition of art.

The definition and evaluation of art has become especially problematic since the 20th century. Richard Wollheim distinguishes three approaches: the Realist, whereby aesthetic quality is an absolute value independent of any human view; the Objectivist, whereby it is also an absolute value, but is dependent on general human experience; and the Relativist position, whereby it is not an absolute value, but depends on, and varies with, the human experience of different humans.[2] An object may be characterized by the intentions, or lack thereof, of its creator, regardless of its apparent purpose. A cup, which ostensibly can be used as a container, may be considered art if intended solely as an ornament, while a painting may be deemed craft if mass-produced.

Visual art is defined as the arrangement of colors, forms, or other elements "in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium".[3] The nature of art has been described by Wollheim as "one of the most elusive of the traditional problems of human culture".[4] It has been defined as a vehicle for the expression or communication of emotions and ideas, a means for exploring and appreciating formal elements for their own sake, and as mimesis or representation.[5] Leo Tolstoy identified art as a use of indirect means to communicate from one person to another.[5] Benedetto Croce and R.G. Collingwood advanced the idealist view that art expresses emotions, and that the work of art therefore essentially exists in the mind of the creator.[6][7] The theory of art as form has its roots in the philosophy of Immanuel Kant, and was developed in the early twentieth century by Roger Fry and Clive Bell.[5] Art as mimesis or representation has deep roots in the philosophy of Aristotle.[5]"

So now you know :D

I like that picture duno if it is what i would class as art though... I don't like how conceptual art cost as much as 'real' art. Who decides whether it is good or not and then how does it get into main stream and cost a fortune?

Ive had a go myself below, it took me 10seconds

... --- ...                                     (but in pretty colours lol)

It is morse code for SOS at least it has meaning. £10000 please.
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 am

Art to me is something that is inspirational. If you hear a song that inspires you to do something, then the writer and composer of that song are artists in the true form. Art within museums however seem to have lost there meaning. Whereas years before sculptor, paintings, mosaic and the like were considered nowadays all you have to do is have a dump in your loo and share it with the world, and now your an artist !

Art to me begins with the person who shares his/her obvious talent, art today is obvious, it fits in with the morals of todays world. A pile of ole Sh!te.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 am

'Art is not the chief end of life but an accident in one's search for reality' - W.B Yeats

For me there is no one clear definition, but this one is as close as possible to giving it one.

I could go off on a rant, but anyone reading it would think I'd be talking bollox.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:15 am

:blues:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 am

Emerald Red wrote:I could go off on a rant, but anyone reading it would think I'd be talking bollox.

so what's new  ???

well seeing as i'm an artist and seeing as, according to sabre, this thread has been inspired by me i should write some lengthy contribution about the meaning and purpose of art. the problem is though that it would be a waste of time.  :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 am

I prefer the classics, my fave painting is Sarah Siddons by william Beechey. Never been one for this Tate modern lark. I like the old style freebie art museums in london, that's the proper good art. Not someone who shat on a table and called it something zen and clever.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:52 am

i like that whistlers mother painting off mr bean film :D

seriously though - the stag at bay which i saw many years ago at the leeds art gallery was one of the most impressive pieces of art i'd ever seen.

for me real art is that which depicts people places, scenery or real life (or the capture of it). not into all that surrealist bollox and stuff that just looks like squiggles etc
Last edited by Judge on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 pm

It was raining last week and my brother (who likes art) suggested we pop in to the art gallery. One room had a wall going across it - wow! another had shelves with books on it, a bycicle leaning against a wall was another. Taking the p!ss or what.

Show some paintings,sculptures etc - not pretensious :censored: from people with no talent who surround themselves with other such people who are all emersed in the same BS wave.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Sabre wrote:Image

That's just a TWISTER mat!!!  :laugh:
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Worst for me is stuff like this, just taking the mickey, its a square

Yes that is officially a work of art

I could sh.it something better than that
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:00 pm

The apex of artistic expression in the Western World?  Discuss... :D

Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Image

:blues:

Pmsl where's Paul  :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Big Niall wrote:Taking the p!ss or what.

where was that exhibit? :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum