The 6 nations thread - Place your bets

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:46 am

I remember last year when Wales were over, I was in a bar on the Friday having lunch at about 1pm and the Welsh were having shots and drinking Welsh songs.

Taff - how long can you guys keep that up? are you still going strong 12 hours later or puking by 8pm?

I love the Rugby weekends when visiting fans over here, they are always great craic. No bitterness between the countries at all. Other sports could learn a lot.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 am

hard core drinkers can go on and on more so if we win there will always be the light weights who bang a few down and feel the effects early on but for the most they will last the night

it's like when liverpool win you can drink for the night and not think anything of it but if we lose the night can drag and some can't drink so much as they would normally

i have hit the pubs big style after a win or defeat and i can't say it makes much difference to me just knock them back and get on with it :D

you are right about other sports learning from SOME rugby fans as i can remember going over to twickers to watch a match wales v england and we won ( wales ) we thought there might be a bit of trouble in the pubs that night but it was great both fans laughing and joking with each other teaching the english fans welsh songs and even wales fans singing swing low very good night ooh how i long for the good old day of no kids and lots of drinking  :down:  :down:  :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Nothing I saw over the weekend has changed my mind. Wales will win the Championship and if they beat France away which won't be easy it could easily be the Grand Slam.

England are a million years away from challenging. That display at the weekend was embarassing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Big Niall wrote:I remember last year when Wales were over, I was in a bar on the Friday having lunch at about 1pm and the Welsh were having shots and drinking Welsh songs.

Taff - how long can you guys keep that up? are you still going strong 12 hours later or puking by 8pm?

I love the Rugby weekends when visiting fans over here, they are always great craic. No bitterness between the countries at all. Other sports could learn a lot.

Personally speaking I puke at 8 but get straight back on it especially if we win. :D   cardiff at rugby weekends is insane but a great laugh, we have been rubbish for years but we now have a team that are genuine world cup contenders but it hasnt sunk in yet as we are all waiting for the self destruct button that we always seem to push so its an amazing party at the moment because we are celebrating flat out knowing that we could lose it big time at any moment.

However the signs are that we will sustain this form so next year we will be arrogant fans.  Its the feast and famine joy of being Welsh :D

My main fear is Ireland as they have been arrogant in the past but not backed it up and they are in the last chance saloon with a number of players and they know it as well.  There are doubts over their mental strength although on individual and club level this is unfounded but something has gone wrong at international level.

Again with France who knows thats why I love em, capable of anything.

Culturally, the rugby has always embraced fans mixing and this is ingrained now and thankfully will be hard to shift.  There is banter especially with the Welsh as we love it but to actually organise a scrap - well you would be ostracised as the rugby weekends are in Cardiff a sort of carnival and everybody looks forward to them as are away trips.  I know that one year when we were awful we took 50,000 fans to Ireland when we only had 15,000 tickets as the weekend and having a laugh is more important than the game.  In fact loads of welsh fans end up in towns and villages all over Ireland watching it in bars etc.  In fact there is a rugby club I know of that go to a village in Scotland about 50 miles from Edinburgh to watch the game as the bus broke down there in the sixties and they made friends with the locals and have returned there every two years since and this village watches the game in a Welsh village for the corresponding fixture.  If you have developed forty years of friendship because a bus broke down, well its more or less a tradition and very hard to exchange blows with people you exchange xmas cards with
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:04 pm

England to win :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Ireland looked good and they do have a great chance of going on and winning the Six Nations but I always think there is one really bad performance in them every year that will cost them the title.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 pm

the irish have been very quiet this year were in past years they have shouted out abit so i think they are in with a good chance myself but if wales can beat them then i think we could do the grand slam, really looking forward to this one and i hope both teams turn up the style so it's a great game

come on wales!! !! !!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 am

fecking get in there jobs a good un!!

only worry if the irish so bring them on and get the job done again
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:59 am

bunglemark2 wrote:Ireland's year, mate...
A great start by beating those cheese-eating surrender monkeys...

i think william hague described them as cheese munching surrender monkeys

you were close though :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:19 pm

I don't think Wales,France or Ireland looked good over the weekend.

I think England will prove a trickier game than people expect, they have some young talent coming in. Ireland should beat them but if things go wrong they are capable of losing.

France will be a big hurdle for Wales too as you never know how they'll play.

Still looks like Wales V Ireland for the grand slam in Cardiff and Wales should be good enough to do it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:25 pm

England were a million miles better than last week but that's hardly any consolation if you lose the game. Indiscipline cost us dearly but it harldy helped that the referee (who has a histrory of disliking england) penalised us for everything and let wales get away with committing exactly the same offences.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:42 pm

stmichael wrote:England were a million miles better than last week but that's hardly any consolation if you lose the game. Indiscipline cost us dearly but it harldy helped that the referee (who has a histrory of disliking england) penalised us for everything and let wales get away with committing exactly the same offences.

Looks like you read the papers rather than watch the game. England were vastly improved and could have won but the penalty thing is nonsense Im afraid, England gave penalties away because they were scared of the game going open even after they proved they could handle an open game their fear of getting hammered outweighed their confidence in actually being able to win
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:40 am

taff wrote:
stmichael wrote:England were a million miles better than last week but that's hardly any consolation if you lose the game. Indiscipline cost us dearly but it harldy helped that the referee (who has a histrory of disliking england) penalised us for everything and let wales get away with committing exactly the same offences.

Looks like you read the papers rather than watch the game. England were vastly improved and could have won but the penalty thing is nonsense Im afraid, England gave penalties away because they were scared of the game going open even after they proved they could handle an open game their fear of getting hammered outweighed their confidence in actually being able to win

I watched the game mate.

I'm not saying the decisions against England were wrong, I'm saying there was no consistency in the refereeing decisions that were made for similar ofences. Tindall and Goode both got sin binned. Goode was on his feet and got knocked over by one of his own players which made it look like he blatantly killed the ball. Tindall killed it and got sin binned. At the other end Ryan Jones blatantly kills the ball near his own line and gets told to "move away quicker". Armitage gets taken out in the air whilst jumping for a high ball (automatic yellow card) and nothing happens.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Rugby is an odd game. The super 14's have just started over here which is odd in itself (it's fecking steaming hot) and we have to endure the telly being dominated by it. All the best players have fecked off to play in countries where they get paid lots of dosh, but strangely all the blokes who play for the Crusaders (our local team) are just unbeleiveably, ridiculously good at it. I'm no rugby fan by any means, but how on Earth New Zealand haven't won the World Cup every single time it hs been played is a complete mystery to me. I think they could probably put a fifth team out as of now and beat England, and I'm honestly not exagurating (however the feck you spell that word) one bit.

We had the young fella who's probably going to replace Dan Carter (Steven Brett) in the shop the other day buying some lingerie for his girlfriend (we do sell some nice stuff, kind of Anne Summers standard). Smashing young fella too, my missus used to go to school with his dad. That fact is not even slightly interesting anyhow so I'll shut the feck up.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm

yeah shut the f'uck up hugh :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum