Smoking ban

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:23 pm

Another thread got me thinking about pubs. The huge drawback for me of pubs in Britain is they stink of smoke. Since smoking has been banned in pubs in Ireland I much prefer it, your clothes don't stink the next day. Some (and only some) smokers hate it as they have to go out inthe  cold for a smoke.

Would like your country to have a smoking ban in pubs?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:41 pm

Disgraceful banning us smokers -we are now treated like lepers :D  Aye ya could picture me going out in he cold for a smoke lol  I cant honestly say its a bad thing really, we just dont go to the pubs and have a drink in different houses, cheaper and better crack  :;):
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:18 pm

I stopped smoking last Sunday and so far, so good.

Its my 6th or 7th serious attempt in my 10 years as a smoker to stop.

The smoking ban didn't bother me as much as I'd thought, although it was a p.i.sser not being able to sit down and enjoy your pint with a woodbine.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:22 pm

i totally think smoking should be banned in all public places
112-1077774096

Postby JBG » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:26 pm

I have only stopped for 6 days so far (for me, a big deal) so I won't be all evangalistical, but I had no arguement with Ireland's smoking ban per se even when I was smoking. Even when I was a 30 a day man my view on smoking was that people should be allowed to smoke provided it doesn't encroach on non smokers.

I think people should be allowed to smoke in the street provided they don't smoke in other people's presence and discard the ciggerette butts in a dustbin.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby studcamp » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi lads! Smoking isn't cool at all. I've been smoking for 4 years. I've stopped in December. And I don't want to start it again. I realy think that smoking should be forbidden in pubs in my country (Russia, Moscow). Passive smoking even hardly damages health. Stop smoking - play football!
studcamp

Postby matrix » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:44 pm

peewee wrote:i totally think smoking should be banned in all public places

i agree with you peewee...it really is a bad habbit and it gets all over your clothes and you smell like a tramp on a park bench...ps that wont go down to well with smokers   :D

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:51 am

pubs should have distinct smoking and non-smoking areas, then everyone's happy.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:58 am

Not a smoker, never have been, never will be, but I lived with a girl who was.  Done my fucking head in to be honest.  Hated it.

Each to their own though, I don't have a go at people who smoke, never lecture people, it's up to them isn't it?
jonnymac1979

Postby Mikz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:08 am

I dont understand what all the fuss about smoking in public is,when its well away from non smokers ? If its not in yer face or ya cant smell it then dry yer eyes and shut up. :D
   They whack the tobacco trade every year ffs ,is it any wonder people are smoking banana skins lol
    Notice how they never seem too concerned about the drink trade at budget time ,cos theyre all alcho ba,stards, its a bad habit too,its mind altering AND makes ya smell too when ya p.iss and sh1t yerself like the tramp on a park bench. :glare:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:18 am

Fair point Mikz, I don't know what I'd have done in the Prohibition era. :D
jonnymac1979

Postby Lionheart » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:25 am

Agree with Peewee...smoking should be banned in public places. Although having distinct smoking areas may seem the answer, it generally isn't because the staff working in the pub/club etc. has the right to work in a smoke free environment too (big law suits pending in many places already in this regard).

As of 1st January 2006, Tasmania has introduced a strict no smoking in clubs/pubs/restaurants, etc. and there are moves to ban smoking in cars (especially those carrying children - which really gets my gander up when I see it). I think all smokers need to be aware that it is only a matter of time before it becomes illegal.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:50 am

i smoked for about 10 years but gave up 6 years ago, since then i have the odd couple of tabs now and again if i'm out but usually go 6 months between smokes and to be honest could never even see another gigarrete in my life and not notice. i wish there had been a ban on smoking in pubs when i was 16/17 though, because that's where i started smoking in the first place

but a complete ban on smoking in any publcic area isn't the answer i don't think. please don't let the world turn into america where health & safety run everybody's lives and the notions of fun and risk get completely removed from one another, and we're all scared of leaving the house in case we get a cold :(
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:27 am

I think adults have a choice, they can move away out of 'harms way' but kids are the 'passive' ones in this scenario. Sitting in the car with Mum & Dad fagging away does untold damage to the poor little buggers over time.

As for risk? As long as it's the smoker who's taking the risk and not involving me and mine in his game of death...fine, light up another but don't come to my hospital expecting me to feel sorry for you beacuse you can't breath or have cardiac problems.   
:)

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:37 am

Lionheart wrote:As for risk? As long as it's the smoker who's taking the risk and not involving me and mine in his game of death...fine, light up another but don't come to my hospital expecting me to feel sorry for you beacuse you can't breath or have cardiac problems.   
:)

i see where you're coming from lionheart especially about parents smoking around their kids (inexcusable imo) but let's not get all daily express alarmist about it. i'd rather die happy at 75 than miserable at 76 after a lifetime of worrying about health & safety
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum