Smoking ban

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Mikz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:15 pm

It will cut the number of smokers who actually go to pubs dramatically.. its impossible and i repeat impossible for a smoker to have a drink without a smoke. If you smoked you would know that.
   I can see your point stu. Up here- barman know who they can talk to and who they cant. Manys a one has had a bullet in the head for throwing people out. Thats how serious it is -especially with drink involved. Theres psychos everywhere too, some of whom are off their heads on drugs.
    Maybe a few illegal drinking dens will open up.  :D The very thing they didnt want and now they are forcing them to do it lol
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:24 pm

i know one or two old blokes around here who smoke a pipe.They have fought in a world war with one of them a prisoner of war........they have drunk in the same local for 40 years................
its all fecked up if you ask me.....
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:18 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:I think smokers will still go out to pubs because they don't go to the pub solely to smoke. I'm convinced the social aspect of going to a pub is more important than smoking, and to go even furthur I think people put drinking as a higher priority than smoking. People will get used to it.

I also find it hilairious that people who own pubs and LIVE there aren't allowed to smoke in there own home.

You don't seem to understand the points i made, re-read it then tell me what you disagree with.

I think main point I disagree with is the statement that people will stop going to pubs because they can't smoke. Maybe I wasn't clear but I refer back to my last post that I think people don't just go out to a pub to smoke. I think the social aspect and drinking are more important to punters that the fact that they can smoke there.

I tend to agree with JBG, smokers will still go out to the pub and if they want a fag will go outside to smoke it. The uproar won't last more than 2/3 months. Remember also the govenment are implementing this legislation from summer 2007, most people are going to be outside anyway. Your not going to see much of a reaction until the winter sets in.

All very well and good on the south coast where its all PC. Pubs in Toxteth and Huyton...

Barman: "Sorry mate you aren't allowed to smoke in here".
Customer: "I'll smoke where i want" *continues smoking*
Barman: "Really sir i need you to put that cigarette out"
Customer: " :censored: off you tit or i'll smack your face in"

At that point the customer either smacks the barmans face in causing trouble... OR the barman rings the police to tell them someone's "smoking in the pub".

You can't see whats wrong with that? ???

I see the problem, the fact that the punters rule the pubs. Down here if you give the landlord gip you have two/three heavies shoving a size 11 up your @rse.

Its is different up north I know but things will change. The pub owners will take the risk for a while until they get slapped with a £2500 fine. If they want the business to survive then they'll enforce the change. Just a matter of priorities. And its not like smokers will go somewhere else where they're allowed to smoke cos it'll be the same everywhere. The punters will have to deal with it.

So you're telling me all these people will still go to the pubs?

I'm sorry, but all that will do is drive smokers out, hike prices up, which will then mean people like myself will boycot going to pubs.

Phil, its :censored: up mate for one reason, narrow minded PC arsewholes who have nothing better to do with there lives.

Things like this are the exact reason i don't support this countries national team and ashamed i'm brittish. The countries a joke.
115-1073096938

Postby neil » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:07 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Not only that, can you imagine in pubs like the Huyton Park, Royal Oak, Aigburth arms etc when a barmaid/barman/owner asks someone to put there fag out and they don't,

Can't imagine that scenario in the Village Hotel bar Stu, the punters in there would'nt dream of 'lighting' up.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:11 pm

it will end up like denis leary said. i'll have to smoke in my bedroom, under the covers, surrounded by police, urging me to drop the cigarette and come out with my lighter down... pure madness.

pubs will never be able to keep this law. will they go to pubs to sort it out? they dont so far for far worse things. maybe london is different, but we are arrogant a holes and like things a certain way, plus most pubs here dont even have beer gardens to escape to, so its gonna be interesting
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:08 pm

neil wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Not only that, can you imagine in pubs like the Huyton Park, Royal Oak, Aigburth arms etc when a barmaid/barman/owner asks someone to put there fag out and they don't,

Can't imagine that scenario in the Village Hotel bar Stu, the punters in there would'nt dream of 'lighting' up.

That gym in there's quality mate. The pubs friggin :censored: and cold though. :D
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:13 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I see the problem, the fact that the punters rule the pubs. Down here if you give the landlord gip you have two/three heavies shoving a size 11 up your @rse.

Its is different up north I know but things will change. The pub owners will take the risk for a while until they get slapped with a £2500 fine. If they want the business to survive then they'll enforce the change. Just a matter of priorities. And its not like smokers will go somewhere else where they're allowed to smoke cos it'll be the same everywhere. The punters will have to deal with it.

Two or three heavies threw a few of the Wall family out of a bar in town then ended up dead. They also done the same with Ungi's and got the :censored: kicked out of them.

Not only that, but up here people are more friendly. They speak to the landlords, infact, the landlords come down an have a pint with you, people actually comunicate up here, they'll give you the time of day and look at you.

They haven't asked the people who go into pubs. Thats what pisses me off the most.

Why does a non smoker who goes to a pub once a month get the same vote as none smoker (myself) who goes to the pub 5 or 6 nights a week? Whats more, why do the general public and policitions get more say in what goes on in a pub landlords house than what a pub landlord does? Disgrace.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Stu and a box of soap. :D

I'm on day 13 since I quit so at the moment I'm all for a ban. That might change if I ever went back on 'em. :D

However, I live in a country where we have had a smoking ban for two years. My country has a similar pub culture to the English - at least, and we have adapted.

Storm in a tea cup. I hear what Stu is saying, but the doomsday scenarios won't materialise.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:27 pm

JBG wrote:Stu and a box of soap. :D

I'm on day 13 since I quit so at the moment I'm all for a ban. That might change if I ever went back on 'em. :D

However, I live in a country where we have had a smoking ban for two years. My country has a similar pub culture to the English - at least, and we have adapted.

Storm in a tea cup. I hear what Stu is saying, but the doomsday scenarios won't materialise.

We'll see JBG, we'll see.

The people who've just give up smoking like yourself want it banned for selfish reasons though... fair comment?

Selfish :censored:. :angry:  :D
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:29 pm

not selfish stu... quitters, im no quitter, so wont quit :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum