Sky broadband - Anyone tempted?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:42 pm

I received a notification from BT saying that I downloaded over 50gb last month .This apparently exceeds their "fair usage" quota of 40gb a month and in future I will be charged an extra £1 for every Gb I download above the 40Gb "fair usage.

I've been with them for several years , my original contract was advertised as "unlimited download facility" . Having queried this they tell me the contract was changed some time ago . Obviously I skimmed one of the "spam" mails they sent me and didn't pick up on this.

I'm paying £24 a month for a 2mbs speed broadband with a cap of 40GBb download . I have now registered with Sky , they offer up to 8mbs broadband with a 40Gb cap for £5 a month .
£10 a month gives you a speed of up to 16mbs and an unlimited download facility (although the small print does mention a "fair usage policy)

I'm waiting for them to advise me what their "fair usage is and what speeds are available in my area.
They certainly seem to offer a better deal than BT.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:40 pm

Like you Woof, I use torrents and BitComet a lot.  I reckon I download about 5-10GB a month.  Would it be worth me investigating the BT option?
jonnymac1979

Postby Red @ Heart » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:27 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:
coddy wrote:The broadband is great but there is a 30 or 40Gb monthly cap on it. not great for my movies.............

Fuck that off then. 

I've got unmimited bandwidth and I'll keep my 2MB connection for that condition.  I download a lot of stuff.

Same here Jonny , BT however are lining up four and eight meg at no extra cost to users like us  (apparently) .

this is true, i was on 4mb pm, when i asked for upgrade they saisd that the upgrade to 8mb pm was at no extra cost, this was 2 months ago, and i still havent had any extra payments to make what so ever.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Feeney » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:04 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:Like you Woof, I use torrents and BitComet a lot.  I reckon I download about 5-10GB a month.  Would it be worth me investigating the BT option?

Jon, one of the things I noticed when I got the flyer was that Sky advised me that the Sky Broadband offer was not available to me yet and I could still take it up with them if I paid around £18. Dunno if this is a Merseyside wide thing, but I would check it out if I were you.

I've got a Wanadoo connection which was recently taken over by Orange. My girlfriend has recently got an Orange contract phone and my broadband provider advised me to transfer it into her name so I can get it for free. Not bad service that.  :nod

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:39 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:Like you Woof, I use torrents and BitComet a lot.  I reckon I download about 5-10GB a month.  Would it be worth me investigating the BT option?

? . the point of my last mail Jonny was to highlight the fact that BT are not the cheapest option . BT = £24 a month for a 2mbs broadband speed with a 40gb download cap  . Sky = up to 8mbs speed with a 40gb download cap for £5 pound a month . Thats why I've registered with sky and as soon as it's available I'll be movig to them.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:16 am

woof woof ! wrote:

? . the point of my last mail Jonny was to highlight the fact that BT are not the cheapest option . BT = £24 a month for a 2mbs broadband speed with a 40gb download cap  . Sky = up to 8mbs speed with a 40gb download cap for £5 pound a month . Thats why I've registered with sky and as soon as it's available I'll be movig to them.

Have you tried blueyonder woof no download limits (far as I am aware they are the ONLY Broadband supplier that NEVER uses the "fair use" to intimidate and has genuine unlimited downloads. I often download over 100gb per month sometimes a lot more.
account deleted by request

Postby Alonso14 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:29 pm

Im currently using the same as woof, the £24 BT 2mb.

But I got the letter thingy from sky offering me £10 a month, up to 16mb, with unlimited monthly usage (subject to fair usage policy) for £10 a month. This seems quite good and I will register tonight probably.

I jsut hope there isn't anymore small print that I missed.
Last edited by Alonso14 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:51 pm

I got a letter last week from sky. On the envelope it said (in big letters) SKY BROADBAND IS HERE!

I desperatly ripped open the letter and it opened with...

Have you heard the news yet? Sky Broadband is only blah blah blah per month for blah blah blah. It's the most wonderful broadband package in the world, blah blah blah

Then in the very next paragraph it said...

Unfortunatly, Sky Broadband hasn't reached your area yet.

Bstd's. built my hopes up then shot me down. I live in a rural area. We dont even have gas in the village.

Then the day after I got another letter from Sky. This one was telling me my monthly package price was going up. So thats 2 letters in 2 days, one telling me I cant have broadband the other telling me my package has a price increase.

So no, I wont be getting broadband.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:20 pm

s@int wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

Have you tried blueyonder woof no download limits (far as I am aware they are the ONLY Broadband supplier that NEVER uses the "fair use" to intimidate and has genuine unlimited downloads. I often download over 100gb per month sometimes a lot more.

Cheers Saint , what speed do they offer ?  is the provision good ? ie you're connection is ALWAYS there and whats the cost £ ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:48 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
s@int wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

Cheers Saint , what speed do they offer ?  is the provision good ? ie you're connection is ALWAYS there and whats the cost £ ?

Always on and very reliable link prices etc here - Im on the 4mg and get all the addons free. If you go for the 2 meg you have to pay for the extras if you want them. Imo they are ok for free but I wouldnt pay for them. you dont need to have a phone with them btw - I dont.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby fivecups » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 pm

s@int wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

100gigs! Sometimes a LOT more?

What the hell do you download?

I hit 12 gigs one month according to DU meter, thats my highest.

I've just switched from NTL to BT as I moved house. BT are limiting me to 6gigs with 8mb speeds. Not enough.
Last edited by fivecups on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum