School shooting - Usa

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:02 am

I can only hope bob bloody geldof doesnt rerelease that "I Dont Like Mondays Song", then the damage will have well and truly been global !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:10 am

metalhead wrote:I forgot to add why its the universities fault too.

I read today that about a week ago someone phoned the uni and said there was a bomb, so ofcourse they found out the person was lieng, so they ignored security measures, which I think it was a terrible mistake. Let me tell you of a past experience, my old school was phoned once, a year ago, and a prankster told them there is a bomb in the school, from this day forward my old school is taking alot of security measures and even created car passes for parents who want to pick up their cars, also increased security all over the campus. Why didn't VT adopt that idea, surely they should have increased security measures around campus to make sure everything is safe. Also, there was 2 incidents that happened right? first happened in a campus, then 2 hours later it happened in another campus, the funny thing is that the university warned the students through f*cking email! idiots! You f*cking warn them face to face or you call the security to f*cking evacute all the students from the f*cking university!

sometimes I lay my head in shame  :no

Sorry, mate, but this is just not realistic.  There is no way that even a small university can effectively warn students face to face...and that's assuming they have credible information to act on  (which they didn't in this case).  Unless universities are prepared to operate like prisons (and, believe me, nobody associated with the school would support that), there is no way that security will ever be tight enough to stop lunatics like this.  The guy killed 32 people with two small hand guns, FFS.  Not rifles, not semi-automatics...hand guns--that's 27 rounds combined before he has to reload and he fired over a hundred rounds.  To do that, he chained the doors shut and followed what clearly had to be a thoroughly conceived plan.  No university security system is going to be enough to stop that kind of calculated insanity.  It's all well and good to blame gun culture but I can't support blaming the university for this tragedy.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:05 am

Exactly Bob, if a student wants to shoot fellow students it's almost impossible to stop them doing it. The questions need to be asked rather of why did he have such easy access to these guns? Why do so many American youths have easy access to guns?

The university is not at fault here, it's the sheer lunacy of this individual which shoud be blamed but also the American government and power of the gun lobby.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:13 am

I really cant understand after he shot his girl or ex and her new fella, there was a two hour time lapse before he went on to shoot the 30 others.
I mean why?
What for?
The problem is in America someone dies every 3 seconds there is some right loonatics there.
And many feel the need to have a gun probably feel safer with than without I dont know how they are going to change the law.
Maybe make them not so freely available but guns are banned here yet someone gets shot every week.
I duno, its a terrible thing to happen to all them innocent students just going to college for a better future.
RIP.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:28 am

Ciggy wrote:I really cant understand after he shot his girl or ex and her new fella, there was a two hour time lapse before he went on to shoot the 30 others.
I mean why?
What for?
The problem is in America someone dies every 3 seconds there is some right loonatics there.
And many feel the need to have a gun probably feel safer with than without I dont know how they are going to change the law.
Maybe make them not so freely available but guns are banned here yet someone gets shot every week.
I duno, its a terrible thing to happen to all them innocent students just going to college for a better future.
RIP.

i dont think it was his ex girl mate, it was a girl he was stalking and the guy was the monitor as such for that floor in the dorm.

now if a rampage was expected you would have expected it there and then, you would have expected the shooting to continue at that point.

there is NO WAY possible to expect that this would continue a couple of hours later, NO WAY mate. you would treat this incident as an isolated incident, there was no reaosn or evidence to show that this would continue later.

no the two hour time lapse, only one person knows why he waited and thats the guy himself so i suppose now we will never know. by all accounts he was calculated, although he picked his victims at random he appered calm and at one point was laughing.

all victims alive and dead had 3 gunsot wounds, they had all been shot three times, this guy wasnt on a rampage, he was asassinating people ciggy.

i dont know, maybe he did the girl he was stalking then ust though 'ah well, i may as well go for it"

sad state of affairs.

in relation to security measures for students, they are all well and good, swipe cards etc, but for something like that to work then EVERYBODY has to adhere to it 100%, that will never happen, people cant even adhere to the road traffic act.
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:10 am

JoeTerp wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
Dundalk wrote:HAs anyone checked out the link peewee has put up?

Check out the rest of this guys photos, he was obsessed with guns!

He entered this time last year and reads:-

Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever had.

Created April 16, 2006

Was he the new boyfriend??

Spooky ???

Where did you see that info Dundalk ? All i'm getting is the two page photo album , showing him and a very nice looking chinese (?) girl.

you need to check out the other albums. they are the ones with all the guns. very disturbing. if this is the guy, don't think his name has been released. but he does fit the description

he posted this pic on april 14

this guy has now been on CNN, it was a mix up that people started pointing the finger at him, obviously the fact he was a student there and he had just split with his girlfriend and the fact he is asian had people looking at him.

he said he had just recieved the shipment of guns and thought it would be funny to be photographed like that (obviously the photos were before the shooting so he wasnt mocking the shooting)
112-1077774096

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 am

Bad Bob wrote:
metalhead wrote:I forgot to add why its the universities fault too.

I read today that about a week ago someone phoned the uni and said there was a bomb, so ofcourse they found out the person was lieng, so they ignored security measures, which I think it was a terrible mistake. Let me tell you of a past experience, my old school was phoned once, a year ago, and a prankster told them there is a bomb in the school, from this day forward my old school is taking alot of security measures and even created car passes for parents who want to pick up their cars, also increased security all over the campus. Why didn't VT adopt that idea, surely they should have increased security measures around campus to make sure everything is safe. Also, there was 2 incidents that happened right? first happened in a campus, then 2 hours later it happened in another campus, the funny thing is that the university warned the students through f*cking email! idiots! You f*cking warn them face to face or you call the security to f*cking evacute all the students from the f*cking university!

sometimes I lay my head in shame  :no

Sorry, mate, but this is just not realistic.  There is no way that even a small university can effectively warn students face to face...and that's assuming they have credible information to act on  (which they didn't in this case).  Unless universities are prepared to operate like prisons (and, believe me, nobody associated with the school would support that), there is no way that security will ever be tight enough to stop lunatics like this.  The guy killed 32 people with two small hand guns, FFS.  Not rifles, not semi-automatics...hand guns--that's 27 rounds combined before he has to reload and he fired over a hundred rounds.  To do that, he chained the doors shut and followed what clearly had to be a thoroughly conceived plan.  No university security system is going to be enough to stop that kind of calculated insanity.  It's all well and good to blame gun culture but I can't support blaming the university for this tragedy.

I disagree, the university has its fault too, i mean there were a two hour lapse! two hour lapse! between the the two incident, therefore there was sufficiant time to know what happened in the first incident and to warn other students! you say its a small university, which makes it  easier to warn the students.  The first incident was in a dormitory building right? which he killed two people, so basically saying if the university heard shooting sounds, they must be suspicious something has happened, would it be wise to quickly evacuate the whole uni, especially norris hall (which the 2nd incident happened) for saftey measures even if they didn't have credible information? it would have lowered the death toll.

I've experienced a similar situation like this, but not guns, a huge political fight in my university, which caused about 20 injured, thank god no dead. The first thing my university did when it first happened is told all students to leave.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:36 am

metalhead mate its a massive university covering 2600 acres with 26,000 students.

look at my post just before your last post and you will see my explanation as to why the university cant really be blamed for not locking down the university. just think hwo many people live off campus who cant be contacted, just think how many students woke up and didnt check their emails, and most importantly the university does not have the beauty of hindsight.

like i say mate a rampage would not be expected, it would just be treated as a killing and dealt with as such. a rampage would have reasonably been expected to be continuous.

for your argument to work, just think if every murder was treated as a potential rampage, because thats really what you are saying the uni should have done
112-1077774096

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:37 am

I agree Bad Bob on this one. Uni staff must think of making good professionals for the future, they can't be military experts. If any security plan is planted in an uni, it should be designed by the police or the authorities, never the uni.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:41 am

[/quote]
for your argument to work, just think if every murder was treated as a potential rampage, because thats really what you are saying the uni should have done

well the U.S have been very good so far with that idea
Last edited by metalhead on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 am

metalhead wrote:

to be fair mate its not an everyday occurence, its not the first thing any policeman would think off. you would just look at this scene as a murder scene where the suspect has escaped from, and thats how you would deal with it, there was NO evidence to suggest that he would continue his act. like i say it wasnt continuous and NOBODY would forsee his next actions, how can you forsee someones next actions when you dont even know who that someone is.

in my opinion the university in this are blameless in not knowing the second shootings would happen, i think the guy himself didnt even know what he would do, hence the two hour delay where he then flipped, if it was his intention from the start he would have continued from the start, i am sure it wsnt 2 hours until he saw the next available target
112-1077774096

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 am

peewee wrote:
metalhead wrote:

to be fair mate its not an everyday occurence, its not the first thing any policeman would think off. you would just look at this scene as a murder scene where the suspect has escaped from, and thats how you would deal with it, there was NO evidence to suggest that he would continue his act. like i say it wasnt continuous and NOBODY would forsee his next actions, how can you forsee someones next actions when you dont even know who that someone is.

in my opinion the university in this are blameless in not knowing the second shootings would happen, i think the guy himself didnt even know what he would do, hence the two hour delay where he then flipped, if it was his intention from the start he would have continued from the start, i am sure it wsnt 2 hours until he saw the next available target

Maybe you are right, but i still think the university would have acted in a better manner.

-------------------

Killer's gun purchase was 'unremarkable'
The owner of Roanoke Firearms said Cho Seung-Hui bought a Glock pistol just over one month ago.

John Markell, the store's owner, said Cho was very low-key when he purchased the gun and 50 rounds of ammunition.

Even though Cho is a resident alien, Markell said, it was legal for him to purchase a firearm and he presented three forms of identification: a driver's license, a checkbook with an address matching the driver's license, and an insurance card.

State police conducted an instant background check that probably took about a minute, the store owner said. Cho did not say why he wanted the gun, Markell said.

He said the transaction -- which was with one of his associates, not Markell himself -- was "probably the most unremarkable sale ever" and he was shocked when three ATF agents arrived at his store Monday with the receipt for the weapon.

The Glock 19 is one of his biggest sellers, Markell said. It's used mostly for competition and self-defense. Markell said he is shocked and saddened by the shooting at Virginia Tech.

----

Well Mr. Bush isn't it time to concentrate more on stopping domestic violence?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am

metalhead, what action do you think the university should have taken after the first murder?
112-1077774096

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 am

when the story first broke the media in this country was VERY critical of the University for that 2 hour delay and then only sending out an email to notify.  Once more information came in, it became more clear that there was no evidence that there would be a rampage shooting and in fact they had some reason to believe that the shooter had left campus, which is normally what somebody would do if they had killed someone and was afraid of getting caught.  The univ was working on a TXT message system to send out a message to everyone on campus to their mobile but the system isn't ready yet, I am sure at VT and now all major universities this system will be expidited because it is the best way to get information to a person as fast as possible and almost garunteeing that they will get the info.  One problem would be that you couldnt send a lot of directions at once because of teh size limits of TXT messages especially if sending 25,000 at once
JoeTerp

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:53 am

one thing i do agree on metalhead is george bush, watching him address the university while talking about the innocent victimes just reeked of hypocrisy on a major scale coming from his mouth.

but the problem in the US mate is the constitution which say they all have a right to bear arms
112-1077774096

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum