Satelite navigation systems - Your opinions please

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:34 pm

I'm currently using a Tomtom 500 system on an Ipaq1710. Now when it works it really good but first the cradle/holder packed up (£20 for a new one) and then the ipaq needed completely resetting/formatting and all the software putting back on, the yesterday I was heading from Dorset to Liverpool and the receiver light is stuck on solid. Now it should be flashing to tell me it can see a satelite but it aint and now I have no sat nav. So I figured i'd just sell the ipaq and buy a dedicated sat nav system but there is a few to choose from. Does anyone have any ideas what I should go for?

Tomtom
Navman
Michelin

or some other?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:05 pm

i've got a sony navu and it's pretty good so far, no probs with it other than it needs re-setting every couple of days (by poking this little button with a pin or whatever) and you can't do a full 7-digit postcode search

apart from that it's spot on :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:10 pm

I have Navigation system which is located in my brain  :D

:laugh:

We don't have these type of technology in lebanon because the country is too small and you can memorize the streets in a day  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 pm

Lee J wrote:I'm currently using a Tomtom 500 system on an Ipaq1710. Now when it works it really good but first the cradle/holder packed up (£20 for a new one) and then the ipaq needed completely resetting/formatting and all the software putting back on, the yesterday I was heading from Dorset to Liverpool and the receiver light is stuck on solid. Now it should be flashing to tell me it can see a satelite but it aint and now I have no sat nav. So I figured i'd just sell the ipaq and buy a dedicated sat nav system but there is a few to choose from. Does anyone have any ideas what I should go for?

Tomtom
Navman
Michelin

or some other?

I USE AN A-Z , NEVER FAILS

I wonder how some of you guys find your way home at night .  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:30 pm

SERIOUSLY .

With yer CD player , yer Mobile Phone , Sat Nav and other in car entertainment,I can't help wondering how come you're allowed to drive a car in the first place  :angry:

ps . CAR = the thing you're sitting in , that funny round shaped object that you rest your hands on (when not busy changing a cd,answering the phone or playing with your sat nav ) is in fact a wheel by which you can steer the car , you should try it sometime , it's fun .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:28 pm

woof you forgot about looking at flange :D  that's why i need satnav - so i can go on flange patrol whilst some foxy cyber-bird directs me in her dulcet tones to the nearest petrol station :pirate

i'm a typical bloke anyway, whatever the satnav bird tells me i tell her b0llocks i know a shortcut and we're going MY way :D
Last edited by Woollyback on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:07 pm

Woollyback wrote:woof you forgot about looking at flange :D

:D
I think you'll find I did mention "other in car entertainment"    :D

Sat Nav is for wimps , whats wrong with finding yourself up a cul de sac ?    :D   :D   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:18 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Woollyback wrote:woof you forgot about looking at flange

I think you'll find I did mention "other in car entertainment"     

Sat Nav is for wimps , whats wrong with finding yourself up a cul de sac ?   

it depends WHOSE cul de sac :O 

being serious though woofster i've used a-z's for donkeys years and they're great for getting where you want to go but when your job involves finding places you've never been before in a hurry then satnav wins every time. i've only had it a few months and it really is brilliant

when it comes to going somewhere a bit more interesting than some suburban street though it's map time every time :nod can't beat planning a long-distance drive with a road atlas and finding out the scenic route. as for motorways, real men instinctively know EVEYRYTHING about britain's motorway network. anyone who doesn't is either gay or a woman  :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:26 pm

woof woof ! wrote:[I USE AN A-Z , NEVER FAILS

I wonder how some of you guys find your way home at night .  :laugh:

I'm with Woof Woof on this one although to be fair , Woof Woof is a Dog and his natural navigation sytems give him an unfair advantage !  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:35 pm

i'm sure if i could smell my p1ss on every lampost between here and home i too could bin the satnav :D    oh wait a minute, i CAN :oh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:36 pm

:laugh:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:41 pm

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 300, it's mint and really easy (works straight out of the box), I know it's £280 but it's cheaper than the TomTom's and it's also thinner but also got a big screen, imo TomTom's are over priced although the software is pretty good :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 pm

Boys with Toys :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:10 am

Paul C wrote:I've got a Garmin Nuvi 300, it's mint and really easy (works straight out of the box), I know it's £280 but it's cheaper than the TomTom's and it's also thinner but also got a big screen,

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

LMFAO  :laugh:

HOW BIG ? , IF you can still see thru your windscreen and make out some of those road signs maybe it's not big enough .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:15 am

To answer your question, Lee J (Rather than join in the banter! :D), I have a Navman, and it's f*cking brilliant. The only problem I find is you can only put so much of the postcode in, then have to search for the street you want afterwards. (e.g: instead of KS44 2QY, it'd be KS44 2).

You can put the exact house number in once you've found the street, though.

I highly recommend it, and at £160-odd, it's very cheap compared to the others.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum