Questions - help needed!

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Reg » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:38 pm

I have 3 questions asked at lunch time by my Brazo colleagues who were trying to bamboozle me.

1. Why was english football always played on saturday until tv/sponsership came along when on the continent it has been generally on a sunday.

2. Why is tennis scored 15-30-40-game and not anything more logical and/or more/less points in a game?

3. Why are the Open championship matches at Wimbledon, Oz, France and the US the best of 5 sets and best of 3 everywhere else.

Honour is at stake so please help!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I think it maybe the Catholic countries play on a sunday because saturdays are the church day. Spain and Italy (probably Portugal too) play sundays, but I think Germans and French (not so religious) play on saturdays.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:31 pm

In Spain the day of Church is Sundays. In fact I thought we played on sundays because of that. First to the Church to pray about the team, then the game at 5 PM. It made sense.  :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Another explanation is that the scoring system was copied from the game sphairistike, which was played by British officers in India during the 19th century. That game's scoring system was based on the different gun calibres of the British naval ships. When firing a salute, the ships first fired their 15-pound guns on the main deck, followed by the 30-pound guns of the middle deck, and finally by the 40-pound lower gun deck.! :D

Sounds like a load off sh'ite!

The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed; it is possible that it derives from the French word for an egg (l‘oeuf) because an egg looks like the number zero. "Love" is also said to derive from "l'heure" or "the hour" in French. Another possibility of the origin comes from the Dutch "iets voor lof doen," which means to do something for nothing. The word ('lof' nothing) has changed over time to 'love'.

Sounds like more shi'te on shi'te but who knows!

:D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:42 pm

I think the reason English football was never really played on Sunday is because Sunday was always the"Day of rest"..its a religious thing!
I dont think that the Tv and sponsorship had anything to do with it,more so relaxed religious beliefs as the country developed a more liberal mindset!

FFS there was only ever ONE league match I can remember being played here in NI and the Free Presbyterians protested as if the world was gonna end because  they had soiled the Sabbath with football!Needless to say there has not been a game since,Sadly that was only about a year ago as well! :laugh:

I fuc'king hate bible thumpers like that!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:59 pm

In the olden days when Bigmick was a lad , working men had two days off . Sat and Sun , Sunday was a day of rest and going to church . Saturday was considered a day for going the match and getting rat @rsed afterwards . Twas a working mans only pleasure , his saturday off .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:In the olden days when Bigmick was a lad , working men had two days off . Sat and Sun , Sunday was a day of rest and going to church . Saturday was considered a day for going the match and getting rat @rsed afterwards . Twas a working mans only pleasure , his saturday off .

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:44 pm

In the olden days .... when Bigmick was just a twinkle in his dads eye, people used to work 6 days a week, but get off early on a Saturday. As most teams were originally "works" teams they would meet at "clocking off time" and go and play their games. Sunday was the religious day of rest and so organised games could not be played on a Sunday.

The reason Sunday was more popular in certain other countries is probably because they were Catholic rather than protestant maybe? Also we were a very industrialised country while most of the others were still mainly agricultural.
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Bamber Gascoyne here :;): representing Newkit

the scoring system was adopted from another game called sphairistike which was played by the saliors. The game's scoring system was based on the guns of the ship, being the smallest 15's, then 30's and then 40's. Also, the word "love" comes from the french "l'eouf" meaning "the egg" supposedly in relation to number 0's resembance to an egg. "Deuce" comes from the french for two "deux", meaning you have two more points to go to win the game.

Another explanation says that a clock was used for scoring and that each point represented a position on the clock's face; 15, 30, 45. Only 45 was changed to 40 later...
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:08 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Bamber Gascoyne here :;): representing Newkit

the scoring system was adopted from another game called sphairistike which was played by the saliors. The game's scoring system was based on the guns of the ship, being the smallest 15's, then 30's and then 40's. Also, the word "love" comes from the french "l'eouf" meaning "the egg" supposedly in relation to number 0's resembance to an egg. "Deuce" comes from the french for two "deux", meaning you have two more points to go to win the game.

Another explanation says that a clock was used for scoring and that each point represented a position on the clock's face; 15, 30, 45. Only 45 was changed to 40 later...

I've heard the whole clock thing a lot too, first time hearing about the Navy game though.
SupitsJonF

Postby Number 9 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:25 pm

Thats the same as mine you got it off Wiki!! :laugh:

Wiki is full of shi'te
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Number 9 wrote:

Thats the same as mine you got it off Wiki!! :laugh:

Wiki is full of shi'te

Erm did i say it was me, No. just forgot to mention it was from googlin :laugh: Why does it look like me answering
How the hell an i supposed to know the scoring system in Tennis. :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52 pm

Sounds like a load of shyte to me  :D
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:08 am

the saturday games stems from football being a working mans game, in the old days people would also work saturday mornings in the factories, docks etc, finish at lunch and then go straight to the football
112-1077774096

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:05 am

I don't know where all the scoring systems and playing on a Saturday comes from, but feck off you lot with the "when Bigmick was a lad" sh!t, I'm only fecking 42 FFS!!!! Fecking cheeky bunch of c...s   Tell you what, when I was a lad you'd've got yer erse kicked for less, one of the local bare knuckle fighters would've come round in his long johns and given you a hiding with his staff, before departing to the local hostelry to enjoy a flagon of their finest ale.  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum