Pietersen- superman or cheat - Left hand slogs

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Just watching the first ODI between England and New Zealand, England look decent and seem to be improving all the time, although the kiwis arent the strongest and missing a couple of key players.

Anyway if anyone else is watching or watched earlier, did you see KP's left handed 6's ?
Styrus was bowling and as he started his run up, at the last minute Pietersen changed position to left handed stance (for anyone who doesnt know he is right handed batsman) he then proceded to smash it for 6, Styrus just smiled and shrugged his shoulders. A few overs later to prove it wasnt a fluke he did the exact same thing to Styrus again. It was unbelievable to watch, most players struggle to hit it like that on there strongest hand, to do it left handed is freakish, amazing.

But should it be allowed ?
I am not up on the rules of cricket, but usually bowlers know where they are bowling it to each batsmen based on what hand they bat with they will obviously attack certain areas, for KP to do that seems to be totally unfair to me, great to watch like but i would of been fuming if i had been the bowler.

Thoughts people.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Just watching the first ODI between England and New Zealand, England look decent and seem to be improving all the time, although the kiwis arent the strongest and missing a couple of key players.

Anyway if anyone else is watching or watched earlier, did you see KP's left handed 6's ?
Styrus was bowling and as he started his run up, at the last minute Pietersen changed position to left handed stance (for anyone who doesnt know he is right handed batsman) he then proceded to smash it for 6, Styrus just smiled and shrugged his shoulders. A few overs later to prove it wasnt a fluke he did the exact same thing to Styrus again. It was unbelievable to watch, most players struggle to hit it like that on there strongest hand, to do it left handed is freakish, amazing.

But should it be allowed ?
I am not up on the rules of cricket, but usually bowlers know where they are bowling it to each batsmen based on what hand they bat with they will obviously attack certain areas, for KP to do that seems to be totally unfair to me, great to watch like but i would of been fuming if i had been the bowler.

Thoughts people.

no way is that cheating, its just skill of the highest order IMO. I mean its not exactly like he is doing a routine shot is it, it takes guts, skill and a lot of nerve to try something like that.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:08 pm

i guess some bowlers will see it as taking the :censored: so he better watch out for a few bouncers coming his way. :D
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 am

Twenty20 is all about hitting and scoring fast, unlike test cricket
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:04 am

he's the Ronnie O'Sullivan of cricket
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:15 am

Judge wrote:Twenty20 is all about hitting and scoring fast, unlike test cricket

Thanks for that Judgey, not sure why you felt you needed to explain the difference in styles of play for each cricket format like but thanks anyway  :D

By the way it wasnt a 20-20 match that Pietersen did that in, it was a one dayer  :rasp

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 am

Ace Ventura wrote:

Thanks for that Judgey, not sure why you felt you needed to explain the difference in styles of play for each cricket format like but thanks anyway  :D

By the way it wasnt a 20-20 match that Pietersen did that in, it was a one dayer  :rasp

still shorter than a test series of 5 days  :rasp
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:24 am

Judge wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Really  ???  I never would of known that.

Maybe there is a clue in the name ODI  :D
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 am

Lee J wrote:he's the Ronnie O'Sullivan of cricket

exactly. o'sullivan got lambasted and accused of showboating a while back for switching to his left hand for some shots and didn't ali go southpaw now and again in some bouts? if you have the skill to switch to help you win a game you should do it.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Judge wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

Really  ???  I never would of known that.

Maybe there is a clue in the name ODI  :D

Oh Dats It

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 pm

it'd be like Gerrard taking a penalty with his left foot and the keeper making a formal complaint because he knows Gerrard is right footed.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Personally I don't have a problem with it. I thought it was genius.

However the argument against it is that you're not allowed to switch from right to left handed bowling without consulting the umpire, so why should you be able to switch from right to left handed batting?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Lee J wrote:it'd be like Gerrard taking a penalty with his left foot and the keeper making a formal complaint because he knows Gerrard is right footed.

I dont want to see the shot banned, it was great to watch and showed he is one of the best players in the world.
But its not the same as the things you mentioned really.
Some bowlers can bowl with both hands (not at the same time like :D ) but they have to tell the umpire if they are going to change hands before the delivery, so the batsman is aware.
The bowler when he is running up will already have decided where he is aiming as he's bowling at a right handed batsmen, they could argue that its a little unfair for the batsmen at the last minute to change stance.

Still as i said i hope it gets left alone, was great to watch.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Nah aint cheating just because he is good at.

Some  batsmen have tried that from time to time especially with sweep shots and just ended looking like right plonkers when they have lobbed down the throats of fieldsmen, no bowler complains about it then.

Superb batsman and pleasure to watch even when he is scoring against us
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Isn't it just like doing a reverse sweep, you change your hands around. they've been doing that for yonks and its perfectly legitimate.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum