New york - What should i see ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:37 pm

I'm off to New York for a couple of days at the end of April . Although I've been to the states before it will be my first visit to New York City. Can anybody recommend great restaurants /cafes (not to expensive) shops and places I should see ?

I been offered a choice of free accommodation ,either , downtown just off Wall St or Midtown Manhatten 2 blocks from times sq. Any ideas on which is best ?

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby NYCJuveFan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:30 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I'm off to New York for a couple of days at the end of April . Although I've been to the states before it will be my first visit to New York City. Can anybody recommend great restaurants /cafes (not to expensive) shops and places I should see ?

I been offered a choice of free accommodation ,either , downtown just off Wall St or Midtown Manhatten 2 blocks from times sq. Any ideas on which is best ?

Hi mate.

Avoid the Times' Square area. Too touristy. Ok, you're a tourist, but you don't wanna be stuck with the mass.
Downtown is much nicer and less expensive. Midtown east more classy although more expensive.

Restaurants? They're all over the place in Manhattan. Try one of the many in the so called "Meatpacking district" around W 14th St & 9th Ave. Plenty of bars & pubs there. They use to pack meat down there. Just different kind of meat now.....  :D  :love:  :cool:  :p
Also Brooklyn has plenty of interesting places, but if you have just a couple of days, stay in the city (Manhattan).

If you happen to be there and a soccer game is played, go watch it at Nevada's Smith (3rd Ave & 12th St.). Premier League as well as Serie A main matches are shown live. But, I have to warn you, it's also an official NY Man Utd fans club.

Let me know if you have further questions.
NYCJuveFan

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:32 pm

what dates woof? i'll be there from 13th to 19th april... missing the second leg of the quarter final in mid air :angry:

i'd go for the place near times square, closer to more stuff and more going on at night around abouts. wall st is more businessy.
something you can't miss is the ferry to staten island. its free and the views are fookin great. second on the list has to be the spot in central park where wooly got hitched :laugh:

if its your first time you have to do all the touristy stuff like going up the empire state and visiting grand central station (pretend you're in all your fave movies). but also hit brooklyn for at least one night out.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:29 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I'm off to New York for a couple of days at the end of April . Although I've been to the states before it will be my first visit to New York City. Can anybody recommend great restaurants /cafes (not to expensive) shops and places I should see ?

not much to see maybe trump towers thats about it and madison square gardens
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:32 pm

I'd go for midtown rather than downtown, downtown's a bit sterile imo. although around Times Square is v touristy but plenty to see

There's a street called Bleecker Street which has a load of decent bars, not posey at all just good honest bars, some refreshingly scruffy and none of them overpriced. It's between mid and downtown in Greenwich Village, any cabbie will know it well.

As Juvefan says there's restaurants everywhere, so take your pick I suppose. I personally like little Italy, again between mid and downtown not that far from Bleecker street.

Brooklyn is also well worth a visit if you get the time. I've only been over during the day but it's nice to see a more relaxed side to New York. Also if you go over there it's worth walking back over Brooklyn Bridge, the view just takes your breath away  :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:50 am

Thanx lads , some good tips there .  :)

(Andy, I'm in NY between 27/4 and 5/5 )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:04 am

woof woof ! wrote:Thanx lads , some good tips there .  :)

flash b@stard    :D

anyway will you have to go into quarrentine when you get back?
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:08 am

my sister and b in law where living upstate new york about 7 years ago in a place called hornell, not too far from niagra. i had a trip into New York but cant really rememebr street names etc as it was long ago and i wasnt there long. i went up the twin towers and empire state building, saw central park etc.

im sure you will enjoy it. have a good time
112-1077774096

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:16 am

woof woof ! wrote:Thanx lads , some good tips there .  :)

ah well - no chance of crossing paths then. but if i p!ss up a few lampposts you'll know where i've been, eh?

:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:06 am

Also look out for Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

They're mean mother******ers.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:28 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Also look out for Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.

They're mean mother******ers.

:D
112-1077774096

Postby taff » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:07 am

Damn right  :cool:

Woof, Lonely Planet guide, I swear by them although mine is pre Twin Towers.  For a couple of days, section it to areas I would and list whats in those areas sights and restaurants.  Little Italy and Chinatown for example Dim Sum for lunch and Lasagne for Dinner  :D  with sights in between

Theres also loads of things to see but I would recommend Harlem and Brooklyn if you get the chance but its easy to get stay in the middle and not see everything
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Honolulu Bob » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:37 am

Brooklyn Bridge is worth a walk and the River Cafe on the Brooklyn side over looking the East River and Manhatten is great.
Hire some roller skates and go skating in Central park, just like Bob  :D
Carnegies Deli is great.
A baseball game at Yankee Stadium is worth going to see if there playing at home.
If you go to Gray Dogs Coffee on Carmine Street in the Village, dogs are welcome and they'll even give you a free dog biscuit.  :cool:
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun
Honolulu Bob
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:02 pm

:D Bob..

Hey Dawg.. depends what ya goin to do .. if ure taking Mrs Woof x 2 shopping I've got some tips for shopping-till-ya-drop-type places.. :) so cheap over there .. lol
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:49 pm

zarababe wrote: :D Bob..

Hey Dawg.. depends what ya goin to do .. if ure taking Mrs Woof x 2 shopping I've got some tips for shopping-till-ya-drop-type places.. :) so cheap over there .. lol

typical bloody woman :;):

all woof wants is a nice park to run around and some shady spots to poo in private :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum