New fifa rules re nationality - Island of ireland

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:05 pm

Under new Fifa rules - yet to be agreed by the two Irish football boards - anyone from the island of ireland can nominate whether they want to play for republic or the north.

makes sense really but unfortunately little quality either side (where are pat jennings and bestie when I want them!)

I'm petitioning for a similar rule re Ireland and Argentina (there's actually a strong Irish community over there- speak Irish, play gaelic games etc), the next Maradonna/Messi etc should be playing for us :)
Last edited by Big Niall on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:15 pm

What makes you think either Bestie or Jennings would of played for the Rep ?

Also if your petitioning for a similar rule regarding Argentina, I'm going to sign the one for England. Where Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Jamaica, USA, S.Africa and any other English speaking nation maybe, because they speak English, some because they are under the commonwealth. But also because they play football, rugby, snooker, Cricket and any other sport invented by the English.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:17 pm

McMessi? O'Maradona? :)

From outside the new rules seem fair enough. Just curious, what are the chances that this rules will be accepted by both boards, would politics have an influence in that acceptance, or rather it will be based on just footie reasons?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Actually I don't think Bestie would have chosen ROI - I was joking.

Unfortunately, it will probably go on religous grounds what people in NI would chose to play for ROI, I don't think any players from ROI would chose to play for NI.

As for England wanting all other English speaking country's players - fine, there are no good yanks, kiwis, Aussies (including Kewell), give me O'Maradonna and O'Messi any day :D

I don't know whether the northern ireland board will agree. :(
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:24 pm

Sabre wrote:McMessi? O'Maradona? :)

From outside the new rules seem fair enough. Just curious, what are the chances that this rules will be accepted by both boards, would politics have an influence in that acceptance, or rather it will be based on just footie reasons?

I personally dont agree with it, the Irish are quick to tell that their not part of Great Britain. But because there in desperate need of a few decent players their looking towards a British state for their gain.

:no
66-1112520797

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Bamaga man wrote:

I personally dont agree with it, the Irish are quick to tell that their not part of Great Britain. But because there in desperate need of a few decent players their looking towards a British state for their gain.

Er, controversial territory there.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:37 pm

JBG wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

True though, hey ?  :D
66-1112520797

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:50 pm

like it or not Northern Ireland has always been a bit messed up - lets not get into all that.

But the end result is that some people up there genuinely feel Irish and do NOT feel British (very strongly anti-British), those people are entitled to get a Republic of Ireland passport under the Good Friday agreement to recognise that they feel Irish.

It is not like there are outstanding footballers in NI that ROI are trying to poach. I can't imagine any NI footballers who feel that they are British would ever play for ROI.

Seems obvious enough.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
JBG wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

True though, hey ?  :D

Errr...Bamaga Man....
How do I put this politely - try not to post dumb statements like that....Have a think before you do...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby taff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:46 pm

Funny you mention Argentina as the last player who could speak Welsh to score at Wembley was Batistuta.

Crazy fact eh.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:04 pm

taff wrote:Funny you mention Argentina as the last player who could speak Welsh to score at Wembley was Batistuta.

Crazy fact eh.

What's the backround there?

Is there a hardcore Welsh community in Argentina - I'm not joking, as mentioned above, there is an Irish one.

Battagoal beside Rushie with Giggs on one wing and anybody on the other wing wouldn't be bad for the Welsh boys would it. I always liked Wales - pity they never qualify. :(
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:52 pm

There is a Welsh speaking community in Patagonia, in the south of the country I think.  I havent been there but we have seen programmes on it and some of mu mates have gone over to have a look.

People have weird names like Rafael Jones etc  :D

Batistuta came from that area and Welsh language is a commonly spoken one. That question does the round in pubs down here as the likes of Giggs, Hughes Rush, Speed etc dont speak Welsh.

Of course he is Argentinian and has no ties really to Wales  and neither should he, but it still gets people in pubs.

Discount rugby as a few welsh speakers scored in Wembley namely Scott Gibbs

Weird eh!!
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:36 pm

One of the founders of Chile was a fella called O'Higgins, his dad was from  Sligo .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:46 pm

A good book from a Welsh point of view and believe t or not is the new Howard Marks book Senor Nice.

I forgot that he is an intelligent guy, and he doesnt go on about smuggling etc but it is a great read for some Welsh history. It skims over stuff so you can do more detailed research yourself.

The Red Indians who spoke Welsh!!!!!!  Loads of bizarre stuff has happened over the last thousand years.

What elese do you know about the Chile guy Woof.

I love the story behind the real Robinson Crusoe who was a scotsman abandoned near Chile somewhere for being extremely drunk and abusive, spent years on an island abusing passing ships and shaking his fist :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:02 pm

Have a look at this link Taff

Bernado O'Higgins

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Chat Forum