New fifa rules re nationality - Island of ireland

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 pm

When were the N.Ireland fans bigoted? Bit strong that brother. If youre referring to Neil Lennon -that was a small section.Catholics have played for N.Ireland since the beginning , even through the troubles when they were shooting at each other from the stand rooves lol   Martin Oneill a prime example-there was no bigotry towards him or any other that I knew then.
  I agree that things have changed and theres a whole different atmosphere now. Its all happy clappy family stuff  :D
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 pm

see NI play ROI last game qualifier for 1994 world cup - pure hate in crowd, not rivalry like a England v Scotland game would be.

The union jack is (rightfully) allowed to be displayed at Windsor park (in unionist heartland) even though Great Britain are not playing but the tricolour is banned.

"not bigoted" - yeah sure!
Last edited by Big Niall on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:03 pm

Mikz wrote:When were the N.Ireland fans bigoted? Bit strong that brother. If youre referring to Neil Lennon -that was a small section.Catholics have played for N.Ireland since the beginning , even through the troubles when they were shooting at each other from the stand rooves lol   Martin Oneill a prime example-there was no bigotry towards him or any other that I knew then.
  I agree that things have changed and theres a whole different atmosphere now. Its all happy clappy family stuff  :D

They were bigoted. There have been catholics at matches years ago who were threatened for being at the match, and were told to leave.

My grandfather went to see my team Derry City v Linfield many years ago when Derry were in the IL, and he was in the Linfield section, he had to run for his life when they seen who he supported.

Also my father was up at Windsor Park and had bricks lobbed at him from all quarters, simply because they were Derry City fans who are a nationalist club.

The IFA forced my team Derry City out of the league in the midst of the troubles. They wouldnt let us play a European game on our home ground. They said either play it elsewhere or else dont play it at all.

We left the league and now play in the Eircom League. Years ago the NI fans were bigoted, maybe not as much now, but there is a long way to go before it is totally cleared.
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:23 pm

Thankfully - now with immigration becoming an issue, protestents and catholics are uniting to be bigoted against all other faiths/colours/nationalities etc.

Ending bigotry with bigotry :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:58 pm

Big Niall wrote:Thankfully - now with immigration becoming an issue, protestents and catholics are uniting to be bigoted against all other faiths/colours/nationalities etc.

Ending bigotry with bigotry :D

as they say, fight fire with fire

works for me  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Big Niall wrote:see NI play ROI last game qualifier for 1994 world cup - pure hate in crowd, not rivalry like a England v Scotland game would be.

The union jack is (rightfully) allowed to be displayed at Windsor park (in unionist heartland) even though Great Britain are not playing but the tricolour is banned.

Pure hate in the crowd? wow!! It was a very important game, against the old enemy , considering the troubles going on in the country... Im sure you mean the hatred was coming both ways..yes?  ???  Dont tar the whole fan base with the actions of a small group.
And rivalry can be worse -when they invade the pitch and take the pitch and goalposts home
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:21 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mikz wrote:When were the N.Ireland fans bigoted? Bit strong that brother. If youre referring to Neil Lennon -that was a small section.Catholics have played for N.Ireland since the beginning , even through the troubles when they were shooting at each other from the stand rooves lol   Martin Oneill a prime example-there was no bigotry towards him or any other that I knew then.

They were bigoted. There have been catholics at matches years ago who were threatened for being at the match, and were told to leave.

My grandfather went to see my team Derry City v Linfield many years ago when Derry were in the IL, and he was in the Linfield section, he had to run for his life when they seen who he supported.

Also my father was up at Windsor Park and had bricks lobbed at him from all quarters, simply because they were Derry City fans who are a nationalist club.

The IFA forced my team Derry City out of the league in the midst of the troubles. They wouldnt let us play a European game on our home ground. They said either play it elsewhere or else dont play it at all.

We left the league and now play in the Eircom League. Years ago the NI fans were bigoted, maybe not as much now, but there is a long way to go before it is totally cleared.

So who asked these catholics to leave? Thats silly, again youre labelling the whole fanbase with actions of a few. Ive heard similar stuff the other way when protestants were told to leave-not worth even gettin into it.

Then ya talk about Linfield. Club football lol I happen to remember Felix Healy standing on the touchline goading the fans... that doesnt help matters.

Its all in the past now, the northern ireland fans are a healthy mix of both sides and that can only be good for all.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Sabre wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Have a look at this link Taff

Bernado O'Higgins

To be honest with that journalist, fair play to her. She wields the ancient titles such as hidalgo and other concepts properly and accurately, unlike many journalist trying to do such a thing, it's obvious she knows her stuff. Yes, O'Higgins has some pages in Spanish history (and Chilean obviously).

But the Irish are like in infection, they are spread all over the world. In Spain, and they were well loyalists, we have the O'Donnells, a whole saga of military men that were all generals and colonels and had Irish origin (1). Very important in our history aswell.

Sabre

(1) Especifically this guy

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9056771/Calvagh-ODonnell

All the Spanish O'Donnells are descendants of this Irish man.

It's vice/versa. Eamon De Velera, and important historical figure in Ireland, certainly didn't have an Irish second name. Spanish I believe.

As for Big Nails light-hearted joke about Ireland getting a loan of some Argie's (before someone took offense and turned it into a political debate) he strangely does have a point. It would be possible, seeing that a good few there do indeed have legitimate Irish lineage and practicing heritage. Wasn't Che Guevara partly Irish? Maybe he could have played for us. Imagine that.

As for George Best, I do believe he was a strong advocate to wanting an all Ireland football team, which he certainly would have played for on his own admission.

Anyway, I think that most Irish would agree that we are sh*t and we only ask for players to get us by simply for the occasion of getting us into a big competition so we can go and join in the fun and have a good time. Win or lose, we don't really care. Just so long as we get there, the journey is what it's all about.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 pm

Mikz wrote:
Aaron wrote:

So who asked these catholics to leave? Thats silly, again youre labelling the whole fanbase with actions of a few. Ive heard similar stuff the other way when protestants were told to leave-not worth even gettin into it.

Then ya talk about Linfield. Club football lol I happen to remember Felix Healy standing on the touchline goading the fans... that doesnt help matters.

Its all in the past now, the northern ireland fans are a healthy mix of both sides and that can only be good for all.

I'm wrong, I shouldnt have labelled the whole fanbase as bigoted. There was a minority though who have told catholics to leave the ground, simply because they were catholics.

As for Felix Healy, he's an :censored:. He wasnt involved with Derry City at the time, probably with Coleraine when that happened.

I agree, its all in the past and there is a healty mix. Its just unfortunate that the IFA dont seem to have moved on.
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Mikz wrote:When were the N.Ireland fans bigoted?

I know it's not a very valid source for a point to make on this, but go and read Roy Keane's Autobiography. He would beg to differ.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Mikz wrote:
Big Niall wrote:see NI play ROI last game qualifier for 1994 world cup - pure hate in crowd, not rivalry like a England v Scotland game would be.

Pure hate in the crowd? wow!! It was a very important game, against the old enemy , considering the troubles going on in the country... Im sure you mean the hatred was coming both ways..yes?  ???  Dont tar the whole fan base with the actions of a small group.
And rivalry can be worse -when they invade the pitch and take the pitch and goalposts home

Well, no, not exactly. The ROI team at that time had a lot of English raised players in the team. When they walked out onto that pitch and heard the abuse, the English based players hadn't a clue why they were being subjected to the kind of language and insults being used, and one player (forget who it was) turned to Keane and asked him what that was all about and why they were saying what they were saying to them, to which Keane turned round and replied "How long have you got" sarcastically, as if he was about to give him a history lecture. Keane described Windsor Park in his book as "A no go area for Catholics."
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:51 pm

I've long thought that if the Irish really went for the rules visa-vis nationality (I know Jack Charlton had a good go at it and Tony Cascarino surpassed fifty International caps despite NOT being qualified to play for them) they'd surely be unbeatable at pretty much everything. They must be the most nomadic bunch of people on Earth.

I remember a few years back in the pub having one of the rugby Internationals on where Ireland were playing England I think. The boozer was full of green shirts, who thought it was absolutely classic that the ref was called Paddy O'Reilly, or O'Brian or something  :D He's a bald bloke from New Zealand.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:27 pm

I remember Toni Cascarino, he was very tall, not as Crouch of tall, not that good striker either. But a decent one.

What was the case of John Aldridge? he played for Ireland, and despite he didn't quite show his quality in the national team, he was a hell of a striker. Could he have played for England aswell? how does that work? I think he had an Irish mom or something, but he was british, in those cases the first team that summons you is the team you play for?
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Sabre wrote:I remember Toni Cascarino, he was very tall, not that tall, not that good striker either. But a decent one.

What was the case of John Aldridge? he played for Ireland, and despite he didn't quite show his quality in the national team, he was a hell of a striker. Could he have played for England aswell? how does that work? I think he had an Irish mom or something, but he was british, in those cases the first team that summons you is the team you play for?

I dont think its a case of the first team that summons you. I think Wayne Rooney was courted by Ireland at an early age due to his Irish grandparents, but he chose to play for England.

The English men who played for Ireland thought they didnt have a chance of an England call-up so decided to play for Ireland, or the fact that they felt they were Irish at heart despite being born in England.
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Cheers mate.

Not sure what was the case of Aldo, I don't know whether he could had have a chance in the english squad of the time (in that times England squad was way superior to Spain) but certainly yes in Spain and other important squads, he was a great quality striker.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum