New fifa rules re nationality - Island of ireland

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:55 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
JBG wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Sabre wrote:McMessi? O'Maradona? :)

From outside the new rules seem fair enough. Just curious, what are the chances that this rules will be accepted by both boards, would politics have an influence in that acceptance, or rather it will be based on just footie reasons?

I personally dont agree with it, the Irish are quick to tell that their not part of Great Britain. But because there in desperate need of a few decent players their looking towards a British state for their gain.

:no

Er, controversial territory there.  :D

True though, hey ?  :D

Errr...Bamaga Man....
How do I put this politely - try not to post dumb statements like that....Have a think before you do...

Err.... Whatvever Bungle.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:50 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Have a look at this link Taff

Bernado O'Higgins

To be honest with that journalist, fair play to her. She wields the ancient titles such as hidalgo and other concepts properly and accurately, unlike many journalist trying to do such a thing, it's obvious she knows her stuff. Yes, O'Higgins has some pages in Spanish history (and Chilean obviously).

But the Irish are like in infection, they are spread all over the world. In Spain, and they were well loyalists, we have the O'Donnells, a whole saga of military men that were all generals and colonels and had Irish origin (1). Very important in our history aswell.

Sabre

(1) Especifically this guy

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9056771/Calvagh-ODonnell

All the Spanish O'Donnells are descendants of this Irish man.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Sabre wrote:But the Irish are like in infection, they are spread all over the world.

:nod
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Sabre wrote:But the Irish are like in infection, they are spread all over the world.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Improve your English before you go to Dublin for a weekend.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm

taff wrote:

:laugh:  :laugh:

Improve your English before you go to Dublin for a weekend.

I was there two summers. And I remember a friend I met there and that he used that phrase, "spread like an infection" (if I recall correctly that is). Since he was talking about themselves, I used the same one (but I wrote wrongly in).

Great two summers in Dublin, I liked the people there, it was the early nineties, before the so called Celtic Tiger. The country must have changed a lot in a decade and everybody has the latest cell phones and expensive cars, there is more money in the country than there used to be or so I've been told.

Good country Ireland. They don't and won't have a team like Liverpool, but I like them anyway.  :)
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:20 pm

They nearly had Wimbledon move there a few years ago.  A premiership team in Ireland could be huge business. I can see the Premiership opening up in a few years purely from Financial pressure. But thats a different debate.

It is a great city, been there loads.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:43 pm

taff wrote:They nearly had Wimbledon move there a few years ago.  A premiership team in Ireland could be huge business. I can see the Premiership opening up in a few years purely from Financial pressure. But thats a different debate.

It is a great city, been there loads.

The Tennis in Ireland  :D

Great wee country and a great we town.  Come see us!!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 pm

* **Taken from the U.TV Website****         
WEDNESDAY 07/11/2007 09:50:36 

Fifa have decided that footballers in Ireland should choose who they play for.

World governing body Fifa has suggested players born in Northern Ireland should be allowed to choose to play for the Republic of Ireland.   

Fifa`s legal committee wrote to IFA officials in Northern Ireland and their FAI counterparts in the Republic outlining their view on the long-running dispute.

The IFA had expected Fifa to back its argument that players born in the north should turn out for Northern Ireland.

Fifa said it had asked for feedback from the two associations and added that any final decision on the matter would have to be approved by Fifa`s executive committee.

IFA chief executive Howard Wells was shocked by Fifa`s decision.

He said: "I am extremely surprised about this, to say the least, staggered in fact. All we are asking is for Fifa to apply their own rules consistently to all members of their organisation."

While the FAI has welcomed the latest stance from Fifa.

A statement read: "We are pleased that Fifa has once again upheld the principle that players born in Northern Ireland should be free to choose whether they wish to play for the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.

I dont really know where I stand about this. At the end of the day Northern Ireland and the South of Ireland are to seperate countries and they have seperate football teams, just like GB. So should they not be choosing players from their own country? But as was said on UTV live tonight, They cant just choose to play for one or the other. They have to have either.............
one parent born in either country
a grandparent born in either country
and must have lived in either NI or ROI for 2 years.
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:21 am

Sabre

Are there catalonian footballers or people from the Basque region that don't really want to play for Spain as they don't feel they are part of Spain?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Yes there are. Well sort of.

There you have Oleguer, he has said many times he is not Spanish, but then, he hasn't been summonned officially.

In basque football I know Sarriegi, who was a cráp defender we used to have. Both cases in players that wouldn't be summoned anyway.

The relevant  ones are pleased to go. Some of them like Arteta are wishing to go to the national squad, some of them like Alonso will be happy to go, but won't be too showy and keep their heads down not to annoy nationalist sectors. For instance in the Istambul celebration you could see Morientes with the Spanish flag, Alonso would avoid such a thing, not because he doesn't feel Spanish (he does), but for political correctness in his region.

But in other sports like handball it happens a little bit more often. IMHO it's very hard that you'll have a player whose nationalist feelings will be greater than the prestige and fame that playing international stage gives you. That's why I think most of the players won't refuse to play for Spain. Some of them will hear the anthem of Spain with more passion than others, but no relevant player will refuse to go IMHO

Sorry, I'm a boring poster, in a nutshell: yes there are cases, especially in other sports, but no relevant cases in football :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Big Niall wrote:Under new Fifa rules - yet to be agreed by the two Irish football boards - anyone from the island of ireland can nominate whether they want to play for republic or the north.

makes sense really but unfortunately little quality either side (where are pat jennings and bestie when I want them!)

I'm petitioning for a similar rule re Ireland and Argentina (there's actually a strong Irish community over there- speak Irish, play gaelic games etc), the next Maradonna/Messi etc should be playing for us :)

keep us updated  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:03 pm

As Diego is good (or should that be god) with his hand to ball skills he might be from a gaelic football backround!  :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Big Niall wrote:As Diego is good (or should that be god) with his hand to ball skills he might be from a gaelic football backround!  :D

dont be having a team of cheating bastards  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:10 pm

The (Northern) IFA will not vote for this in a million years. Absolutely no chance
burjennio

Postby Aaron » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:54 pm

burjennio wrote:The (Northern) IFA will not vote for this in a million years. Absolutely no chance

The bitter bunch that they are. At the end of the day under the Good Friday Agreement, people in the North of Ireland are entitled to which passport they hold. I have an Irish passport and I was born in the North

Its all about preference. For years the Northern Ireland fans were bigoted, they are moving away from this thankfully. Players were forced into retirement because of this, Neil Lennon being an example.

There was recently a case with Man U teenager Darron Gibson who was born in the North but wanted to play for ROI. It was his choice, thankfully he got his wish. Its all a matter of choice. Oh and I dont agree with whoever said it comes down to religion.

There are catholics who play for NI, they chose to play for NI, if it was down to religion then they wouldnt be playing for NI.
City 'till I Die
Aaron

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum