Moslim fan wants to support England...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 am

I support England because I'm English and proud to be. I'll wear what the fuk I want whilst I do this. Who is anyone to dictate what people wear ? fuk him, if he doesn't like it he knows where the door is.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 am

Nouriddean is being a complete ignorant fool who needs to educate himself. It's not difficult, if you are English (no matter what religion you are) you support your country!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am

"I wonder how England supporters would react to scenes at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, were masses of Arab fans to dress up in Saladin turbans and brandish Saracen swords emblazoned with Qu'ranic verse. I'm not sure it would be seen as friendly high jinx."

He really doesn't have a clue about the arabs and the culture.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 am

metalhead » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 am wrote:"I wonder how England supporters would react to scenes at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, were masses of Arab fans to dress up in Saladin turbans and brandish Saracen swords emblazoned with Qu'ranic verse. I'm not sure it would be seen as friendly high jinx."

He really doesn't have a clue about the arabs and the culture.

I read that and to be perfectly honest MH, I don't think it would bother most people - a bit of colour and 'make-up' (in the sense of attire, swords etc), in a carnival sense would be a good thing IMO.

Mind you, he did make a ponderous statement re the Terry situation, that got me thinking and to a degree I think he's right.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 am

tubby » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:04 pm wrote:Quote from the comments section.

... but to brandish a sword and recall the brutal and bloody invasion of Muslim lands is portrayed as harmless banter.

Some historical events that preceded the First Crusade ...

AD 632 -- Muhammad’s death.

AD 635 -- Christian Damascas fell to invading Muslims.

AD 636 -- Christian Antioch fell to invading Muslims.

AD 638 -- Christian Jerusalem,and later Alexandria,fell to invading Muslims.

AD 650 -- Muslim armies reached Cilicia and Caesarea of Cappodocia. In the same period Muslim forces carried out raids on Cyprus, Rhodes, Crete and Sicily, carrying off thousands of Christian slaves.

AD 668 -- Muslim armies laid siege to Constantinople. They were repulsed.

AD 711 -- Muslim armies invaded Spain. By AD 715 they had conquered most of Spain.

AD 717 -- Muslim armies again laid siege to Constantinople. Again repulsed.

AD 732 -- Muslim armies invaded France. Charles Martel stopped them at Tours.

AD 792 -- The Muslim ruler of Spain, Hisham, called for a new invasion of France. An international Islamic crusade was assembled, and was repulsed by the French.

AD 827 -- Muslim warriors invaded Italy and Sicily, terrorised monks,and raped nuns. Sicily was held by Muslims until AD 1091.

AD 846 -- Muslim armies reached Rome, where they forced the Pope to pay them tribute.

AD 848 -- France was again invaded by Muslims. And again repulsed.

AD 1059 -- Pope Urban II launched the FIRST Crusade.

Thank you for enlightening us Kenneth.  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 am

Kenneth.  ???  :laugh:

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 am

Non event really. The author was very precious. Read through the comments, gives you a fair picture of how that article should be taken.

Just because something is written, does not mean it should be sensationalized.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 pm

babu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:59 am wrote:Non event really. The author was very precious. Read through the comments, gives you a fair picture of how that article should be taken.

Just because something is written, does not mean it should be sensationalized.

When something is controversially written like that in a national newspaper to stir shi.te up - it deserves the contempt it receives. 

Had the author not focused on the dress code of English football fans and tried to use it to offend himself and possibly more Muslim's and instead wrote a more indepth column about the Terry/Rio issue and the implications in that, then he'd have put something out there that is actually thought provoking, instead of victim provoking.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm the new you.  :eyebrow

TBH I can see it from both sides of the fence but the truth is what was ok 20 years ago will always offend someone today. I'm sure I can find pieces from other peoples culture which I find offensive to me. But I tend to just let it go over my head and think nothing of it.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:47 pm

haven't read the article but I support Liverpool and that's hard enough sometimes without England getting involved!

There's a whole list of contraversial sh!te I could say here but I'll leave that to KK  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm

You should hear the anti-semitic comments I get from Muslims on Call of Duty when I am running around killing them with the Israeli flag as the background to my username.
Boxscarf

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

It says a lot about the strength of his feelings for his country if the decision of a small number of England fans to dress up in the image of St George (who, as far as I'm aware, is actually respected by most Muslims) or the allegations of racism against one England player make it so hard for him to get behind his country's football team. Even if there was any question of the dress of some England fans celebrating the defeat of Muslims, which there isn't IMO, they would still only be the actions of a minority of England fans and a country is about more than the actions of a few individuals. As for that matter is a religion. It makes me wonder, therefore, whether he feels that his faith in Islam is undermined any time an extremist commits an act or says something contrary to his personal religious beliefs. If not, then I don't see why a few fat lads having a laugh by dressing up as knights should prevent him from getting behind England.

FWIW, I want England to win because I'm English, in the same way that the Irish, Scots, Welsh etc.. all want their national teams to do well. The only thing that prevents me from making too much an emotional commitment is the fact that they invariably disappoint :D
LFC2007

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:08 pm

LFC2007 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:09 pm wrote:It says a lot about the strength of his feelings for his country if the decision of a small number of England fans to dress up in the image of St George (who, as far as I'm aware, is actually respected by most Muslims) or the allegations of racism against one England player make it so hard for him to get behind his country's football team. Even if there was any question of the dress of some England fans celebrating the defeat of Muslims, which there isn't IMO, they would still only be the actions of a minority of England fans and a country is about more than the actions of a few individuals. As for that matter is a religion. It makes me wonder, therefore, whether he feels that his faith in Islam is undermined any time an extremist commits an act or says something contrary to his personal religious beliefs. If not, then I don't see why a few fat lads having a laugh by dressing up as knights should prevent him from getting behind England.

FWIW, I want England to win because I'm English, in the same way that the Irish, Scots, Welsh etc.. all want their national teams to do well. The only thing that prevents me from making too much an emotional commitment is the fact that they invariably disappoint :D

Good post.

I do think he has a fair point about the Terry/Rio issue. The brother of someone who was clearly caught on camera being racially abused doesn't go to the Euros for 'footballing reasons'. But Terry does. I do believe in innocence until proven guilty but the guy was caught on television/camera shouting abhorrent abuse at Anton Ferdinand, he (Terry) goes to the Euros and his brother doesn't. If that was Glen Johnson instead of Ferdinand I bet many on here would be considering/arguing that the FA are nothing but a bunch of contradictory little Englanders.

Hodgson was concerned or said it was because he didn't think Rio could play international matches every 4 days, worrying about his fitness. Yet, today he has said the exact same thing about Parker and Gerrard playing every 4 days and worrying about their fitness. The whole issue strikes me as a bit odd and I definitely think the author has a salient point in regards to this issue he's raised.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:47 pm

Boxscarf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:04 pm wrote:You should hear the anti-semitic comments I get from Muslims on Call of Duty when I am running around killing them with the Israeli flag as the background to my username.

Are you Israeli?

I'm also sure those people who play call of duty are a bunch of 13 year olds
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum