Maggie

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby laza » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:37 am

Reg wrote:Feckin' 'ell Benny, you've got a chip on your shoulder. The 'middle class' as you call it is by far the biggest and fastest growing sector of society due to better education, job training and more sophisticated jobs than 25+ years ago. You've got to move with the times and embrace change!

Thats interesting Reg because in my country which is going through a boom on back of mining sector and which escape the worst of the recession

All we seem to get told by some suit is how great life is because of the great economic mumbo jumbo.

However at same time public services are cut,environment is being degraded at alarming rate all in name of development and progress,  more people including middle class are becoming the working poor and needing a hand out.
Those earning a decent crust are having to put in more hours at work which impact on family and social fabric of society

However our CEOs are getting nice fat multi million bonus and rich are getting richer.

I guess if the so called great captialist trickle down effect never arrives we can all eat cake
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 am

NANNY RED wrote:she destroted my City , she destroyed whole familys , she broke them up ate them and then spat them out , Ive seen grown once proud men reduced to tears and even one fella a docker all his life have the life and soul ripped out of him,

But Liverpool recovered. Have a look right here where I live, right here in Grimsby. We were once known as Europes food town, we are now known as one of the biggest unemployment black spots in britain. Our docks are dead, as is much of our town. Just walk around our town centre and see the boarded up businesses just waiting for suckers to invest.

Its hard to feel understanding and sympathy to scousers, when I look around my home and find nothing to be upbeat about.

Maggie Thatcher ruined a lot of peoples lives, but she made a lot of rich men richer. Thats the long and short of it. She made cuts, she got the country back on its legs, yes, because she spat on the lower class, and reigned supreme with the higher class. She was the Iron Lady for a reason, she took whatever path necessary to sort out the problems, and the lower class, well, our contributions were simply not enough, so we could be stepped on.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 am

i love this thread :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:29 am

Benny The Noon wrote:You will prob find the majority of people serving in Afghan currently joined up after the 9/11

where are the statistics or evidence to back that comment up?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tonyeh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:02 am

laza wrote:
tonyeh wrote:I'll have to disagree with you there.

To my mind Churchill loved the war and did his best to stay in it throughout.

The war made Churchill and he knew it. Without it, he was nothing. In fact he was worse than nothing. He was remembered as the man who fucked up Gallipoli and ordered soldiers to charge miners in Wales.

He was generally disliked.

Spot on there Tony

Totally off track but it would have been very interesting if Churchill had gone through with his plan fight with the Finns against the Soviets in 1940 as well

Unfortunately though, the "aid to the Finns" in the Winter War was a cover for the real operational priority which was to occupy Narvik (if not Norway as a whole) and cut off the iron ore shipments to Germany. Plan R4.

The Norwegians were shipping iron ore to Germany via the ice free port of Narvik in the winter months. This was what was on the minds of the British cabinet at the end of 1939. Finland's struggle against the Soviets registered little with anyone in the grand scheme of things, even when the Finn's showed they were going to make a fight of it.

As the First Lord of the Admiralty, Churchill was all for the occupation of Norway, by force if necessary and to later use it as a jump off point for attacking Germany proper. Hitler launched Op. Wesserubung and forestalled the British by a matter of days.

"Aid to the Finns" was necessary for international concerns, but Finland was of a mild secondary problem for the Churchill and the Chamberlain cabinet too. Norway was what that was all about. Only after the iron ore issue was sorted, was a detachment to be sent to Finland and of minimal practical use they would have been too.

In the end, IF Britain had sent anyone to Finland and the Soviets had found out about it, it would have caused more hassle than it would have been worth as the escalation of tension between Britain and Russia would have been disasterous and was very much unwanted by Britain in any case. Occupying Norwegian ports, however, would have been a serious blow to the Germans. Which is why Hitler moved so quickly to occupy them himself, once the cat was out of the bag.
tonyeh

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:10 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:You will prob find the majority of people serving in Afghan currently joined up after the 9/11

News reports , government figures , newspaper articles . Did you know the average age of Uk soldiers that have been killed in Afghan is 22
Benny The Noon

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:29 am

Benny The Noon wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

News reports , government figures , newspaper articles . Did you know the average age of Uk soldiers that have been killed in Afghan is 22

He asked for evidence, not more made up facts. He asked for proof. A link showing some figures to back up your claims that everone joined the Service after 9/11

The British army has over 100,000 personel and the the majority have been in the service for more than 10 years.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:41 am

Go and google if you think I'm wrong and you will find I'm correct the average age of UK people killed in Afghan is 22 , you will also find that the majority of people serving in afghan did join after 9/11 - you will also find the average age of each Battle group ( the guys that go to Afghan and went to Iraq is between the ages of 19 and 25 . The start of both the Iraq and Afghan conflict increased recruit to the British Forces by 43% .
Benny The Noon

Postby Big Niall » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:19 pm

I expect that most of the people who join the army do so for the same reasons as similar people did over a decade ago, nothing to with terrorism.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 pm

laza wrote:
tonyeh wrote:I'll have to disagree with you there.

To my mind Churchill loved the war and did his best to stay in it throughout.

The war made Churchill and he knew it. Without it, he was nothing. In fact he was worse than nothing. He was remembered as the man who fucked up Gallipoli and ordered soldiers to charge miners in Wales.

He was generally disliked.

Spot on there Tony

Totally off track but it would have been very interesting if Churchill had gone through with his plan fight with the Finns against the Soviets in 1940 as well

Well in the end the Finns didn't need any help. BTW I am well aware that Churchill was a controversial character. He was in both the Liberal and Tory party at different points in his career and introduced some very good policies, he was for example a champion of free trade which I think we can all agree is a good thing. He wanted to have a referendum on the suffragete movement but was blocked, again not the actions of an uncaring man. As  Secretary of State for the Colonies he was instrumental in the creation of the Irish free State which I would imagine is another good thing. Of course there were mistakes as well, including the Galipoli invasion, the return to the gold standard, opposition to Indian independeance etc. Overall though I maintain that Churchill did far more good than bad, and if he wasn't around 1938-45 we could very easily all be speaking German right now.
worcester_red

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:32 pm

I see all the War nerds are still invading this thread then :laugh:
anyone else forgot what this thread  was originally about ? ..... and before too many of you grow a third leg ....no I don't mean the War :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:01 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I see all the War nerds are still invading this thread then :laugh:

Thread gone off topic at newkit..........surely you jest   :D

You know if you dont like it   :D

Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:11 pm

laza wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I see all the War nerds are still invading this thread then :laugh:

Thread gone off topic at newkit..........surely you jest   :D

You know if you dont like it   :D

:laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm

She can get in my kitchen any day.
tonyeh

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Mainwaring:  'Took you a while to spot that one, didn't it Wilson?'
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum