Jkd - Will it work in a confrontation?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:52 pm

I’ve been learning the very rare and expensive martial art JKD (Jeet Kune Do) ‘Way of the intercepting fist’ for the past two years, it’s a very enjoyable hobby and is a great way of keeping fit, and is a great way to learn how to control emotion and it’s a form of self defence.

I’m still what you might call a low grader as it takes years to become a master of the techniques, movements and way of thought, but I’ve always wondered if such an art can be executed in confrontation as it is in the gymnasiums.

I’ve never tried and tested what I have learnt in an uncontrolled environment, I’ve never had to defend myself from anyone and therefore have never used a single manoeuvre to protect myself.

I was thinking the other day, that maybe such a method of self defence/combat, might not be able to work in an uncontrolled environment, my instructor ensures me that I must have confidence in my ability, but what do you think? Is it possible to transfer such methods into a real life conflict, where a person launches an attack on you?
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:24 pm

It depends on your mindset at the time. If you're not focused and don't control your instinct to react without thinking in such a environment, then no you won't able to do so.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby taff » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

The only thing Ive done is boxing and it helps with confidence and the repetitive training means that you act instinctively which is important but if you think about fighting then the other guy will hit you and to be honest the fact that you ask this question means you are not a natural fighter.

This is not a criticism or a bad thing but dont try to be one as you will inevitably meet one one day.

carry on with the training and enjoy the fitness and confidence it gives you but most fights are won in the mind
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:33 pm

taff wrote:The only thing Ive done is boxing and it helps with confidence and the repetitive training means that you act instinctively which is important but if you think about fighting then the other guy will hit you and to be honest the fact that you ask this question means you are not a natural fighter.

This is not a criticism or a bad thing but dont try to be one as you will inevitably meet one one day.

carry on with the training and enjoy the fitness and confidence it gives you but most fights are won in the mind

Sounds so cliche but it's true. The gorilla speaks truth.
AB's Red Army

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:35 pm

when i was in the police one of the new bobbies, a probationer had a black belt in karate or something, anyway we all et called to a pub fight and he thinks he will the hero and run in first witout waiting to enter en masse, he got a pool cue round the head and it sparked him out   :D

i guess what i am saying is its useless if you don't use it properley
112-1077774096

Postby Bammo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:35 pm

It all depends on the style of combat you're training in. By this I mean controlled sparring/points scoring compared with free fighting.

I learnt Tai Kwon Do for a short period (about 3 months) a few years ago. It seemed decent at first but sparring and practising was ridiculous. All stances went out the window and attacks/defences were concentrated on points scoring areas. Great for an organised bout but not confident building for real-life situations.

I've now been learning Lao-Chi Kung Fu for just over a year and even though I'm still a relative beginner I'm much more confident about confrontations in the real world. This is because it's not sport oriented and so the techniques I learn are based on realistic attacks. I'm even learning defences to knives and other weapons.

The more you do any martial art, the better your reactions will become and blocks etc will eventually become instinct. Like AB said, you need to remain aware of what's going on around you. I've a friend who teaches Aikido and he told me a great thing to remember: Anyone can be floored by a lucky punch.

Training and skills means nothing if you don't use it. I've just realised I've probably waffled on for ages without anwering the question properly :p

My answer: yes, as long as you keep your focus and train properly
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby daxy1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:49 pm

mate the best way to test if it works is next time yer out on the lash find the biggest scariest
fecker yer can and run up behind him and ram yer finger up his ar$e right up to the knuckle
and say whats up yer knuckle draggin swamp donkey yer mam loves it
and i can guarentee you will find out if you are good enough or have the right mentality
if you need any more help give me a holla and ill sort yer out mush! 

ps let me know how yer get on

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:33 pm

I trained Judo for 13 years, and reached to blue belt. I quitted it in the uni, as the next step required another day of physical training and I hadn't the time. I regretted it, and I plan to train again some day. It's a defence martial art.

For what is worth the words of my maestro were much more conservative than those of your teacher. He said  that in cases we were asked for money with a knife, we shouldn't be stupid and put our risk in our life.

Also, at least here, if a lawyer proves that you've used Judo in a fight for instance, the punnishment is bigger, it's like using a "white weapon" like knives and the such.

So in real life I never used it too much. I do my best to avoid fights, and only enter them when you have no choice. You always use some movements instictly, but... answering your question, I wouldn't start learning a martial art with the purpose of using it in the streets soon. I think of course it can be transfered what you've learnt to real life, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Especially if you don't master the techniques. If they ask me for money with a knife, I'm likely to give the money away.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:19 pm

I've been doing Hapkido for some years now, and though I don't make a habit of fighting, classic martial arts are hard to properly employ off the mat, but certain aspects, though perhaps not transferable, do educate you in how to deal with yourself. Karate is probably the only rigid martial art, most others are about self expression and giving you the skills to express yourself properly. Balance, focus and speed are the obvious ones. But what shocks me is that most people who step out for a rumble don't even know how to punch properly.

In all honesty, if you happen to spill Jet Li's pint, it'll be of some use (though probably not much against him), but in a bar room scrap, it's better to just rely on the fundamentals and use your instincts (something else that martial arts are good at honing).
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:25 pm

In reply to Sabre: the defences to knives and other weapons is for use as a last resort- in the unlikely event that the attacker's motive is purely to harm/kill. We're told that in any situation we should try to get away. If someone with a knife asks me for money they can have it!

Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 pm

you'll find with a everyday pub style fight that there is no room to execute such manouvers. It usually ends up with 2 blokes hugging each other rolling around on the floor.

Also, i think i read somewhere that when in a fighting situation your adrenalin only lasts around 10 secs. if you haven't put your apponent on his a$$ by then, your not likely to.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:03 pm

Taff, I do aim to carry on, my instructor says I’m very good and that I can reach the higher levels of Jeet Kune Do, I suppose I’m curious to see how it would pan out in a real situation. My instructor tells me not contemplate on it much and that instinct will take over naturally when I fight.

Sabre, I am trained to deal in situations with knives and bottles, I know where and when to block and when to attack, in Jeet Kune Do, offence is defence.

I’ve been practising what to do in all sorts of situations, I know when and were to block and it comes naturally, I suppose a part of me wants to know how I would act, react and deal with a situation outside of a controlled environment.

I suppose if it worked for Bruce Lee than it can work for me too.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Lee J wrote:you'll find with a everyday pub style fight that there is no room to execute such manouvers. It usually ends up with 2 blokes hugging each other rolling around on the floor.

Also, i think i read somewhere that when in a fighting situation your adrenalin only lasts around 10 secs. if you haven't put your apponent on his a$$ by then, your not likely to.

I have learnt basic manoeuvres which will help me against an average Joe Bloggs in a public house or out on the street. I have mastered the basic manoeuvres and I keep on learning more complex manoeuvres which I doubt I could use in a public house.

I used to use a few of my friends and got them to run towards me so I could practise and it worked well, but again that’s in a controlled environment.

As for adrenalin, I have been taught to remain still and as calm as a fountain of water. I have been taught not to act upon rage, anger or negative emotions which will cloud my judgement and distract my concentration.

It used to be a problem when I first started classes, but hasn’t been a problem for the past year, I can control my anger and not act upon impulse.
Wilhelmsson

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:31 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:
Lee J wrote:you'll find with a everyday pub style fight that there is no room to execute such manouvers. It usually ends up with 2 blokes hugging each other rolling around on the floor.

I have learnt basic manoeuvres which will help me against an average Joe Bloggs in a public house or out on the street. I have mastered the basic manoeuvres and I keep on learning more complex manoeuvres which I doubt I could use in a public house.

I used to use a few of my friends and got them to run towards me so I could practise and it worked well, but again that’s in a controlled environment.

As for adrenalin, I have been taught to remain still and as calm as a fountain of water. I have been taught not to act upon rage, anger or negative emotions which will cloud my judgement and distract my concentration.

It used to be a problem when I first started classes, but hasn’t been a problem for the past year, I can control my anger and not act upon impulse.

That is the key for most types of martial arts. With calmness you can see the situation more clearly and your reactions are much better, as is your flow.

You can control the environment rather than environment controlling you.
AB's Red Army

Postby Bammo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:39 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:
Wilhelmsson wrote:

That is the key for most types of martial arts. With calmness you can see the situation more clearly and your reactions are much better, as is your flow.

You can control the environment rather than environment controlling you.

That's actually something I'm realising now. Good advice  :bowdown

I've recently started free fighting and I've noticed a big difference between beginner and senior students. We've been told to always use stances and to manouvre around looking for opponents. Every other beginner changes their stance as fast they can, always moving. Senior students only move when they have to, reacting to their opponent. Unsuprisingly, they're the ones harder to land a blow on.

Bammo
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to General Chat Forum