Insomnia - More common these days.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:11 am

For a long time now, I have suffered, and I have tried everything to fall asleep. Now at first, I put it down to stress, everybody does, too many things to think about, its not easy to fall asleep with so many troubles on your mind.

But then eventually, all your troubles are solved and you still cannot fall asleep. So you resort to "over the counter" methods, Night Nurse, Nytol. Nothing. Doesnt touch you, actually thats a lie it raises your anger level.  You sit there at night, everyone else is sleeping, snoring, whatever, you are sat there, tired but when you close your eyes, funnily enough it wakes you up even more, because your kidding yourself. You try reading a book, no good, especially if its a good read, you become more awake and engrossed in the story. Through constant reading you now have tiredness, limp wrists and a bad back. So the book goes down. Now you are so tired you have to fall asleep, of course by this time everyone is up. Kids are playing outside with there mates and the missus is out and about doing her thing.

And there you are. Knackered. You fall asleep. 10:10 the clock reads, you wake up at 13:30. Still knackered but your awake now, thats it, youve had your fill of sleep, time to get up.

I know ciggy suffered for a long time with this but now im getting really fed up. Im at the stage where the bags look like bruises under my eyes. The one thing that worked a treat was to get ratted and let the beer take its course, but of course that isnt the answer.

Does anyone have any clue how to get to sleep? without the need of beer, herbal tea and counting sheep !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:32 am

Kharhaz wrote:For a long time now, I have suffered, and I have tried everything to fall asleep. Now at first, I put it down to stress, everybody does, too many things to think about, its not easy to fall asleep with so many troubles on your mind.

But then eventually, all your troubles are solved and you still cannot fall asleep. So you resort to "over the counter" methods, Night Nurse, Nytol. Nothing. Doesnt touch you, actually thats a lie it raises your anger level.  You sit there at night, everyone else is sleeping, snoring, whatever, you are sat there, tired but when you close your eyes, funnily enough it wakes you up even more, because your kidding yourself. You try reading a book, no good, especially if its a good read, you become more awake and engrossed in the story. Through constant reading you now have tiredness, limp wrists and a bad back. So the book goes down. Now you are so tired you have to fall asleep, of course by this time everyone is up. Kids are playing outside with there mates and the missus is out and about doing her thing.

And there you are. Knackered. You fall asleep. 10:10 the clock reads, you wake up at 13:30. Still knackered but your awake now, thats it, youve had your fill of sleep, time to get up.

I know ciggy suffered for a long time with this but now im getting really fed up. Im at the stage where the bags look like bruises under my eyes. The one thing that worked a treat was to get ratted and let the beer take its course, but of course that isnt the answer.

Does anyone have any clue how to get to sleep? without the need of beer, herbal tea and counting sheep !

The clue to cure this is to actually find the root of the demon that excorsises your personal self from the natural act of sleep!
You can go to any doctor on the planet,tell him your very little placid existance but until you actually face the problem that keeps you awake,you might as well tell your granny the weather!

At the root of every problem there is a cause and it is the only reason that there is a problem in the first place.
Bottom line is lad you cant sleep because theres something on your mind,whether it is a very small problem or big physical impossibility is only your call and only you can solve it!
The more you lie to yourself and say.."I cant sleep" the more harder it becomes to tackle it head on.The reason you cant sleep is there and before your eyes...its not chemical and its not just bad luck!There is something you need to exclude from your life and quick.Subconsciously there is a hill that you cannot climb or identify with in your head....sort it out or the thought police will get you!! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:24 am

Fortunately the problem I tend to have is staying awake, not falling asleep. I was interested to read your observations on Nytol, I took two before boarding the plane from the Uk back to Nz and they absolutely zonked me out. Similarly Night Nurse has me in serious danger of not making it to work before lunchtime.

Other stuff which makes me even more tired than normal is taking the dog for a walk late on and breathing some night air in through the old hooter. That tends to get the old "I'm fecked here" feeling running through the body. If all else fails, as a young bloke I was bang into a bit of weed and while it does make you talk utter sh!te on a semi permanent basis, it used to make me sleep like baby.

As an absolute last resort you could seek out the "rotation thread". You'll not make it past the sixth page   :;):
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:04 am

bigmick wrote:Fortunately the problem I tend to have is staying awake, not falling asleep. I was interested to read your observations on Nytol, I took two before boarding the plane from the Uk back to Nz and they absolutely zonked me out. Similarly Night Nurse has me in serious danger of not making it to work before lunchtime.

Other stuff which makes me even more tired than normal is taking the dog for a walk late on and breathing some night air in through the old hooter. That tends to get the old "I'm fecked here" feeling running through the body. If all else fails, as a young bloke I was bang into a bit of weed and while it does make you talk utter sh!te on a semi permanent basis, it used to make me sleep like baby.

As an absolute last resort you could seek out the "rotation thread". You'll not make it past the sixth page   :;):

He could always PM you Mick?
You could sing him a personal rotation lullaby for untreated insomniacs with delayed gazelle(ism)

Seems like he's sleeping anyway..his insomnia was short lived!! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:59 am

Kharhaz wrote:For a long time now, I have suffered, and I have tried everything to fall asleep. Now at first, I put it down to stress, everybody does, too many things to think about, its not easy to fall asleep with so many troubles on your mind.

Firstly Kharhaz you need to be active between the hours say of 7.00 am until 5 pm. Working for most people believe it or not will tire the body out for night time.

It doesnt sound as though you work sleeping between 10.10 and 13.30 ? If you dont work for whatever reasons, you need to exercise and stay awake during the day.

Secondly, come 6.00 pm try to set out a 'marker' in your mind. On every hour after that 7, 8 , 9 remind yourself you need to sleep tonight at 10 pm. So for five minutes on every hour focus on counting down the time and keep telling yourself you HAVE to sleep.

Thirdly try have a hot shower before bed time, and heat the back of the neck, and the shoulders under hot water, this is supposed to relax those particular muscles for sleeping.

Also when you go to bed you must not try to think to hard, I know from experiance It used to take me hours to fall asleep largely because I'd be thinking about all kinds of stuff at night. Forget about negative thoughts, like stressfull thinking, or anything thats made your day worry, forget about the worries that may lie ahead in your life and think of nothing, dont even think about trying to sleep, it will keep you awake. If you need to think, think about the nice things in life, think about the joy your kids bring you or something just to settle the mind.

Try that, I'm not so sure the second thing is guarenteed, really for that to work you need to talk indepth to someone about how it works, over the net wont come accross to well. The first thing is a definate as is the third.

Other than that see a Physcologist.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:08 am

I had it for months done my head in, but Im ok now.
I think if your brain is not active when you go to bed you will sleep like a log.

I''ll get it again now the season has started tho was up at 6 this morning to read the papers and watch MOTD but its not on till 20 to 10 :D

When I had it really bad it was worrying about getting my house done, will it be ok, I need this, cant forget that, do I have enough money bla bla.

Then loads of sh1t with kids fighting with my son all the time.
Lucky enough my little fella just goes fishing now so there is no fights any more and I know where he is.

Last week my so called best mate here who hasnt been near my door since Ive had the house done, came to the gate didnt look at me treated me like a total stranger said my little lad had pushed her boy into the bushes whilst playing hide and seek  ???

It was so weird this woman has been my best mate but it was like we had never met.
I just walked away and continued with what I was doing, I didnt even punnish my son because it was a game and an accident, if this would have happened last year or a few months ago I wouldnt have slept for weeks.

I just thought Fuck you Im not going to let anyone get me down again.

I thought I was going to die at one point.

My heart was pounding blood pressure through the roof, about 5 panic attacks through out the day, thinking there was all kinds wrong with me, it was all in my mind.

Clear your mind before bed Kharhaz, have a hot bath and tea, fall asleep watching the telly in bed or read a book, a lot of things are mind over matter
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 am

Or you could sh@g a bird or your missus or whatever, (not suggesting you don't do this from time to time). In my experience, in the aftermath they inevitably want to talk b0ll0cks and once again, this flakes me out no bother.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:11 am

Or drink and listen to this!! :D
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=JOy5LOsV6Vs
He only smokes weed when he needs to...does our Kharzaz.but he needs to have a mess i confess!
Kharhaz you are the worst insomniac ever cause you are sleeping!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 am

i get insomnia all the time. totally shattered i go to bed, then 4 hours later im still just lying there wide awake. ive tried reading, but i like books so i end up being more awake. a few shots of whiskey CAN help sometimes. really tho, just gotta not think about it. fun fun fun
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:04 am

I think Barry suffers Insomnia, either that or he lives around this side of the world. :D
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:15 am

Bamaga man wrote:I think Barry suffers Insomnia, either that or he lives around this side of the world. :D

I live on every side of everything but i can kip when i need to! :D
Unlike our poor poster here..There does lie the old tale of w@nking,or having sex!! :nod
An orgasm releases stuff in yer bap that makes you tired and experience an unbridled chemical euphoria after doing so!
Have a w@nk lad,if thats not good enough stick ur finger up yer @rse!!
If that dont help see a doc!! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hes on the FANTA !!!
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:19 am

Bamaga man wrote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hes on the FANTA !!!

:no
Realism bam,im trying to help the lad!! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 am

Edited: As this thread is rather sensible and mature, if I carry on chatting $hit (excuse the pun) with Barry about fingers and certain dark, damp and hairy parts of the human bod, theres only one way in which this thread will go.

Down the Shi.tter  :D
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:27 am

Bamaga man wrote:Edited: As this thread is rather sensible and mature, if I carry on chatting $hit (excuse the pun) with Barry about fingers and certain dark, damp and hairy parts of the human bod, theres only one way in which this thread will go.

Down the Shi.tter  :D

If it helps our resident insomniac get to sleep its all good! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum