Insomnia - More common these days.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Honolulu Bob » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:54 pm

shakey wrote:I use Melatonin now & again,

Have copied/paste some info...itworks well & if taken early enough you wont feel groggy in the mornings....if this fails i have a w##k Lol

What Exactly Is Melatonin?
"Melatonin is the all-natural nightcap. It's secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness." At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount of melatonin produced by our body seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older people.

Why Take It?
"Studies suggest that low-dose supplements can hasten sleep and ease jet lag, without the hazards or side effects of prescription sleeping pills." Melatonin may have many other uses and has been reported to make people feel better, strengthen the immune system, and reduce free radicals in the body.
Current research is underway to determine melatonin's effect as an anti-oxidant, immune-modulator in cancer, delayed sleep-phase disorders, and jet lag. Tests are still under way so there is much to still be learned about melatonin and its effects on the human body.

Who Benefits The Most?
Travelers and people suffering from mild sleep disorders. According to Newsweek, a typical comment from discussion groups on the Internet is, "'Folks, I've tried melatonin and it's great. It has ...restored my sleep cycle, given me lots of energy.'"

What Is The Recommended Dosage?
The appropriate dose can vary enormously from person to person, and successful results have been achieved with dosages ranging from .1 mg (100 mcg) to 200 mg (200,000 mcg). "In controlled clinical studies researchers have found that as little as a tenth of a milligram (100 mcg) makes dozing off easier, whatever the time of day." Start off small (e.g. less than half of a milligram) each night before bed-time, and work your way to larger doses if needed.

What Is MG, MCG, And What Is The Difference?
Mmcg and mg are units of weight, like ounces and pounds, but are applied to tiny fractions of grams:

* 1 mcg = 1 microgram = one-millionth ( 1 / 1,000,000 ) of a gram
      1 mg = 1 milligram = one-thousandth ( 1 / 1,000 ) of a gram = 1,000 mcg

A 1.5 mg tablet is five times the dosage of a 300 mcg (.3 mg) tablet.

How Do I Best Determine Pricing Value?
Remember that cost per gram is not necessarily the best indicator. Splitting a pill into two is difficult, and splitting it even farther into equal portions is frustrating and almost impossible. The best way to judge value is to determine the cost per coverage time. For example, a bottle of 100 tablets at the appropriate strength should last 100 days. If the bottle costs $10.00, the price per day is 10 cents. (Cheap!)

Are There Any Side-Effects?
According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning grogginess, mild depression, and low sex drive. In past studies, researchers have given people up to 600 to 3,000 times the usual doses - without causing any toxicity."

What Additional Benefits Are There And How Reliable Are These Claims?
"In test-tube and animal experiments, researchers have found that it protects cells, strengthens the immune system and slows the growth of some tumors." Tests with laboratory mice suggest that melatonin might also reduce the effects of aging - but remember, these results are very preliminary. "...Some experts are appalled to see so many people toying with such a potent hormone. One concern is that high doses, while causing no immediate harm, could have unknown long-term effects. 'Even one milligram, the smallest commercially available dose, is at least three times higher than the normal amount in the body.'" (Note: Worldwide Labs supplies a 300 mcg dose.)

Should Certain People Avoid It?
Yes. "Those include women who are pregnant or nursing (since no one knows how excessive exposure to the hormone might affect a fetus or infant); people with severe allergies or autoimmune diseases (melatonin could exacerbate such conditions by stimulating the immune system); people with immune-system cancers such as lymphoma or leukemia (for the same reason), and healthy children (who already produce it in abundance). Women trying to conceive should also think twice about taking the hormone, since high doses can act as a contraceptive." As with any substance introduced into your body, if you have a medical condition you should always consult your physician first before taking melatonin.

Will Melatonin Extend My Lifespan?
There are no human studies to support this contention. In tests on both rats and mice melatonin caused a significant 20% increase in their lifespan. If melatonin does allow you to live longer and healthier it could do so because melatonin may reduce free radical damage; stimulate an aging immune system; protect the cardiovascular system; preserve a youthful circadian rhythm; stimulate the production of growth hormone.

Will Melatonin Enhance My Sex Life?
There is no evidence to support this claim as it relates to humans. However, a 1995 rodent study suggests that taking small amounts of melatonin on a regular basis may prevent the age-related decline in testosterone levels, allowing men to be more active sexually in their later years.

Is Melatonin Safe?
Melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known. People have taken as much as 6 grams (600 to 3000 times the normal dosage) of the substance in carefully monitored studies with no sign of toxicity. Only four complaints regarding melatonin have been report to the FDA (USA's Food and Drug Administration). The only consistent side effect of high doses has been drowsiness and a slower reaction time. In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects. The FDA reports that in the more than two years melatonin has been available for sale over-the-counter in the United States, no alarming side effects have been reported.

When Should The Dosage Be Administered?
Melatonin should only be taken at nighttime, usually about thirty minutes prior to going to bed. If you are traveling on a long trip you may want to take a low dosage 300mcg tablet prior to getting on your flight and a 1.5mg pill prior to going to bed. If you commonly sleep during the night, melatonin should not normally be taken during the day - and vice versa - because melatonin plays a role in setting the body's daily clock.

Does Melatonin Have That Morning-After Hangover Effect Of Sleeping Pills?
No. You should normally wake up well refreshed and full of energy. If you wake up feeling a little tired you should reduce your dosage until you wake up feeling well refreshed. You will not have the hangover effect you may experience with over the counter or prescription sleeping pills.

What Is Pharmacy Grade Melatonin?
Natural, animal, or bovine grade melatonin contains the actual extracts of the pineal gland. Because it comes from animal tissue, this grade of melatonin may be accompanied by viruses or proteins that could cause an antibody response. We highly recommend that people stay away from it. The alternative is synthetic or pharmacy grade melatonin, which is produced from pharmaceutical grade ingredients. This form is molecularly identical to the melatonin that we produce in our own bodies, without unwanted extras.

WTF is all that about?!?!?!  :D

Seriously I suffered from insomnia for years, its an absolute fcuker. The way I cured it was with yoga.

Anytime I can't sleep now I just suck myself off, sleep like a fcuking log!!  :pirate
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun
Honolulu Bob
LFC Super Member

Postby shakey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Well your suppose to start reading it then drop off to sleep before you reach the end :D
shakey

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:42 pm

shakey wrote:I use Melatonin now & again,

Have copied/paste some info...itworks well & if taken early enough you wont feel groggy in the mornings....if this fails i have a w##k Lol

What Exactly Is Melatonin?
"Melatonin is the all-natural nightcap. It's secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness." At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount of melatonin produced by our body seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older people.

Why Take It?
"Studies suggest that low-dose supplements can hasten sleep and ease jet lag, without the hazards or side effects of prescription sleeping pills." Melatonin may have many other uses and has been reported to make people feel better, strengthen the immune system, and reduce free radicals in the body.
Current research is underway to determine melatonin's effect as an anti-oxidant, immune-modulator in cancer, delayed sleep-phase disorders, and jet lag. Tests are still under way so there is much to still be learned about melatonin and its effects on the human body.

Who Benefits The Most?
Travelers and people suffering from mild sleep disorders. According to Newsweek, a typical comment from discussion groups on the Internet is, "'Folks, I've tried melatonin and it's great. It has ...restored my sleep cycle, given me lots of energy.'"

What Is The Recommended Dosage?
The appropriate dose can vary enormously from person to person, and successful results have been achieved with dosages ranging from .1 mg (100 mcg) to 200 mg (200,000 mcg). "In controlled clinical studies researchers have found that as little as a tenth of a milligram (100 mcg) makes dozing off easier, whatever the time of day." Start off small (e.g. less than half of a milligram) each night before bed-time, and work your way to larger doses if needed.

What Is MG, MCG, And What Is The Difference?
Mmcg and mg are units of weight, like ounces and pounds, but are applied to tiny fractions of grams:

* 1 mcg = 1 microgram = one-millionth ( 1 / 1,000,000 ) of a gram
      1 mg = 1 milligram = one-thousandth ( 1 / 1,000 ) of a gram = 1,000 mcg

A 1.5 mg tablet is five times the dosage of a 300 mcg (.3 mg) tablet.

How Do I Best Determine Pricing Value?
Remember that cost per gram is not necessarily the best indicator. Splitting a pill into two is difficult, and splitting it even farther into equal portions is frustrating and almost impossible. The best way to judge value is to determine the cost per coverage time. For example, a bottle of 100 tablets at the appropriate strength should last 100 days. If the bottle costs $10.00, the price per day is 10 cents. (Cheap!)

Are There Any Side-Effects?
According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning grogginess, mild depression, and low sex drive. In past studies, researchers have given people up to 600 to 3,000 times the usual doses - without causing any toxicity."

What Additional Benefits Are There And How Reliable Are These Claims?
"In test-tube and animal experiments, researchers have found that it protects cells, strengthens the immune system and slows the growth of some tumors." Tests with laboratory mice suggest that melatonin might also reduce the effects of aging - but remember, these results are very preliminary. "...Some experts are appalled to see so many people toying with such a potent hormone. One concern is that high doses, while causing no immediate harm, could have unknown long-term effects. 'Even one milligram, the smallest commercially available dose, is at least three times higher than the normal amount in the body.'" (Note: Worldwide Labs supplies a 300 mcg dose.)

Should Certain People Avoid It?
Yes. "Those include women who are pregnant or nursing (since no one knows how excessive exposure to the hormone might affect a fetus or infant); people with severe allergies or autoimmune diseases (melatonin could exacerbate such conditions by stimulating the immune system); people with immune-system cancers such as lymphoma or leukemia (for the same reason), and healthy children (who already produce it in abundance). Women trying to conceive should also think twice about taking the hormone, since high doses can act as a contraceptive." As with any substance introduced into your body, if you have a medical condition you should always consult your physician first before taking melatonin.

Will Melatonin Extend My Lifespan?
There are no human studies to support this contention. In tests on both rats and mice melatonin caused a significant 20% increase in their lifespan. If melatonin does allow you to live longer and healthier it could do so because melatonin may reduce free radical damage; stimulate an aging immune system; protect the cardiovascular system; preserve a youthful circadian rhythm; stimulate the production of growth hormone.

Will Melatonin Enhance My Sex Life?
There is no evidence to support this claim as it relates to humans. However, a 1995 rodent study suggests that taking small amounts of melatonin on a regular basis may prevent the age-related decline in testosterone levels, allowing men to be more active sexually in their later years.

Is Melatonin Safe?
Melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known. People have taken as much as 6 grams (600 to 3000 times the normal dosage) of the substance in carefully monitored studies with no sign of toxicity. Only four complaints regarding melatonin have been report to the FDA (USA's Food and Drug Administration). The only consistent side effect of high doses has been drowsiness and a slower reaction time. In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects. The FDA reports that in the more than two years melatonin has been available for sale over-the-counter in the United States, no alarming side effects have been reported.

When Should The Dosage Be Administered?
Melatonin should only be taken at nighttime, usually about thirty minutes prior to going to bed. If you are traveling on a long trip you may want to take a low dosage 300mcg tablet prior to getting on your flight and a 1.5mg pill prior to going to bed. If you commonly sleep during the night, melatonin should not normally be taken during the day - and vice versa - because melatonin plays a role in setting the body's daily clock.

Does Melatonin Have That Morning-After Hangover Effect Of Sleeping Pills?
No. You should normally wake up well refreshed and full of energy. If you wake up feeling a little tired you should reduce your dosage until you wake up feeling well refreshed. You will not have the hangover effect you may experience with over the counter or prescription sleeping pills.

What Is Pharmacy Grade Melatonin?
Natural, animal, or bovine grade melatonin contains the actual extracts of the pineal gland. Because it comes from animal tissue, this grade of melatonin may be accompanied by viruses or proteins that could cause an antibody response. We highly recommend that people stay away from it. The alternative is synthetic or pharmacy grade melatonin, which is produced from pharmaceutical grade ingredients. This form is molecularly identical to the melatonin that we produce in our own bodies, without unwanted extras.

:sleepy:  :sleepy:

:sleep  :sleep

:D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shakey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:04 pm

C##TS  :rasp  :laugh:
shakey

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:04 am

Sabre wrote:Only some of them. Some of them, like this, Image keep awak some women but because they want to. :D

But others like TVs, Radio, and Computers keep many people awake if they're close enough.

Yeah I bet those things keep you awake alright.  :D
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 am

Ventosa!! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Does anyone have any clue how to get to sleep? without the need of beer, herbal tea and counting sheep !

1- If something worrying is on your mind or if you need to remember something, write it down before you sleep. That way you can put it out of your mind and relax.

2- Don't go immediately from AWAKE to SLEEP. You need a period of settling down, reading a book, doing a drawing, listening to some soft music etc...before falling asleep.

3- Don't sleep in a pitch black room. Try letting some light into your bedroom.

4- Get rid of the TV, computer, Playstation from your room. If you keep them, don't use them before sleep.

5- Drink water. Caffine and alcohol is not good for you. Water keeps your body healthy and keeps your system working well.

6- A set sleeeping pattern. Your body needs to know when it's time to sleep.

7- Sex. It's a natural way of putting the body at ease. If possible jerk off or have sex before sleep.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:36 pm

Agreed with Manhatten.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:
Does anyone have any clue how to get to sleep? without the need of beer, herbal tea and counting sheep !

1- If something worrying is on your mind or if you need to remember something, write it down before you sleep. That way you can put it out of your mind and relax.

2- Don't go immediately from AWAKE to SLEEP. You need a period of settling down, reading a book, doing a drawing, listening to some soft music etc...before falling asleep.

3- Don't sleep in a pitch black room. Try letting some light into your bedroom.

4- Get rid of the TV, computer, Playstation from your room. If you keep them, don't use them before sleep.

5- Drink water. Caffine and alcohol is not good for you. Water keeps your body healthy and keeps your system working well.

6- A set sleeeping pattern. Your body needs to know when it's time to sleep.

7- Sex. It's a natural way of putting the body at ease. If possible jerk off or have sex before sleep.

Yeah the general consensus is have a :censored: or pull the c'ock off yourself!
Typical!! :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:41 pm

I have suffered from Insommnia for years!! And believe me theres nothing I would not give for a proper nights sleep. I have tried herbal tablets, sleeping pills, alcohol, taking a walk before I go to bed, milky drinks and relaxation excerises. None of these worked. I dont think theres anything I have not tried. So I have stuck the the alcohol one. At least that way I get to sleep, lol.
But seriously, try this link.

http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/insom.html

I read this link a few months ago and have since found out I have Chronic insomnia (lucky me, eh!!) My doctor gave me a list of things to do before I go to bed and I have tired them. They never worked so she gave me sleeping pills.  But because I suffer from depression they did not work. So I'm doomed to a life of lack of sleep.
On the up side, theres plenty on the telly in the wee small hours and I can always get my ironing done!!!
Kharhaz, hopefully its just a blip and your sleeping pattern will get back to normal. If not, welcome to my world!!!
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:45 am

Sabre wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
Sabre wrote:Karhaz mate, I don't know if it will work for you but it works for me. The day I moved the computer off my bedroom, and the day I started sleeping better, I also tried at some point sleeping pills, but I think we agree that if you don't need pills it's better.

Apparently there are people who are more sensitive to the electomagnetic field of electronic devices such as computers, screens, cell phones and affect their sleep more than to others.

I also noticed that if I went to the internet when I couldn't sleep it didn't actually help to sleep for the reasons explained, it's better a good book.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
PMSL its the computer!!
Holy fuc'k Sabre!

Or the TV or any device like that!

It's true!  :D

its true. really! any electronic device like a mobile or laptop shouldnt be near you when you sleep.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 pm

Number 9 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I notice Kharhaz hasn't responded to any of these posts.  You lads must have bored him to sleep! :D

No surprise there,he's got the choice of a know all belfastian or a basque with an ubber dildo,hes probably dead! :D

:laugh:  Go figure, the following day I was moving a TV (widescreen) from upstairs to downstairs as that one had blown and totally put my back out. Been overdosing on co-codamols by the bucket and seeing as I couldnt move I had no choice but sleep it off ! The lord works in mysterious ways !

Anyway thanks for tips (the sensible ones that is)  :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:33 am

Im now on my third day awake. Ive taken six nytols but I cannot sleep. Ive tried everything that the doctor and you good folks have suggested. I swear to god I look like sh!te but im not falling asleep. Ive been taking naps of 2-3 hours before saturday but nothing is working. Im no longer in moods, im no longer in a daze, im just there, hungry and watching tv ! Ive even been to the park with the kids playing football. That was after 2 days non sleep. Im gonna collapse soon, ive took up the beer to help me along, me and me missus both agreed to that one. its getting beyond a joke now.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Just be careful of the "beer" route Kharhaz. Its ok to do it for a few nights but your body might get used to havin a few before bedtime and then you'll not be able to sleep when you dont. Believe me, I know what it is like. I have been having a few beers before bedtime now for about 5 years now. And if I dont have a few I cant sleep. And I have tried, lol. I suppose on the up side I Am getting some sleep even if it is drink induced but its not something I would recomend. But good luck anyway!!
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 pm

come and see me kazza. you'll forget the drink in no time :;):
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum