If you play poker... - ...you'll know how i'll feel right now.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:37 pm

I was playing poker with my mates tonight. I'm not a bad player. Ok, I'm not the best, but I win a few. So picture this. It's been going on for about an hour or so, nine players started, down to eight. Started off with 30 chips each and I'd hit a couple of big ones and now I'm down to ten. Not good, but far from drastically bad. First place takes back £60, second gets £20 and third gets their money back, which I'd take happily.

I'm getting crud all night, nothing suited, no pairs and not much over a jack. But on this hand, I get a pair of aces. Pocket rockets, as it were. Being down to ten, I think that the only way I'm getting back into this game is to go all in, so I do. The guy next to me takes me on and he's been having similar luck to me all night.

I felt good about flipping my two aces over, and even better when I see an unsuited King and Jack from my opponent. Any pair can lose of course, but you have to fancy your chances. The flop comes down and I felt even better. An eight, a five and, to my delight, an ace. The table gave it's usual gasps and "oooh"s and I'm feeling really happy now.

The turn card comes down and it's a queen, and everyone says "ooooh" again. It is here where my sinking feeling comes. I know my luck very well, and I know when the Gods are shafting me. I can smell it. If a ten comes down, I'm screwed and out of the game. For those of you who don't play, a run of five cards (or a "straight") beats three of a kind. And a ten would give my fellow struggler a ace-ten straight.

Guess what happens next. Any other card. Any card in the pack. I'm not picky, just not a ten. It's a ten. Everyone shouts. I'm out. Bum.

The feeling of getting shafted like this gives you one hell of a bitter taste in your mouth. You feel like screaming, crying, fighting and sleeping all at once, but of course you can't do any of it because it's the nature of the game. It happens and you have to take it like a man. It's just so finckug annoying. I actually said after the fourth card came down "oh 5h1t". It's like being caught in the middle of the road with a truck baring down on you. You know what's coming, but you can't do squat.

I hate poker. But I know, come next thursday, I'll be there with my tenner and something horrible will happen again. But the feeling you get when you win is worth a hundred loses. It's quite fun really.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:39 pm

man, thats why poker is soooo great. there was nothing else you could have done with pocket aces and down to 10 chips. next game that river card is your fourth ace and you're laughing.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 pm

andy_g wrote:man, thats why poker is soooo great. there was nothing else you could have done with pocket aces and down to 10 chips. next game that river card is your fourth ace and you're laughing.

I'll believe it when I see it.  :laugh:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:07 am

i have a game at mnie every week and theres gutshot in london, a poker club which is kinda cool. ive had some of the worst beats and ive gone all in with nothing and hit soemthing on the river so ts swigs and roundabouts.

everyone who loves poker tho has got to see rounders, its law
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:38 am

any of you guys play online? even though everyone says poker starz is best i use pokerroom.com as i don't have to download any unmacfriendly software. we should arrange an online newkit game sometime.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:47 am

i played a bit on willhill, coral, victor chandler etc. came 3rd in a 400 man tounrey once, but that was a while ago now. id be up for an online game against u lot
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am

I play a bit on Pacific Poker. Good site with lots of options.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:52 am

Unlucky about the AA, it happens to the best of us. I can remember how many times i've lost out on AK at the flop, regardless of whether they're suited or not. You probably should of tried playing a few more flops prior to that, build your chips up a bit. Even bluffs don't do any harm once in a while.

I play reguarly on Ladbrokespoker. I do ok, currently my balance is around $130. I find the best games are the tournament games, $10-$50 buyin - no rebuys and a decent 1st and 2nd place winnings pot.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:25 am

i just spent an hour or so playing online and wasn't getting much decent action. i'd won one little pot but was down overall when suddenly i get pocket cards of king and 10 of spades and out trot 3 more spades in the flop and the turn - and the best thing is that someone re-raises me everytime because they had flush queen high and thought they were gonna take it all. so i take a huge pot of them.

and then, next hand, i get another flush on clubs and some idiot keeps raising me again

:laugh:

then next hand 2 pairs kings and fives takes another big pile

then i got the hell out of there

:buttrock

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum