I pod touch - I pod touch

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 am

hi all

any chance a few of you have an ipod touch? my lad has just come out with the fact he wants one for xmas, that's fine but it has to be the new one (3rd gen) and have god knows what already on it for him to play with on xmas day?? 

what i wanted to know is how easy is it to down load games and stuff on to them and how much does it cost, also does he well me really need to sign up to a monthly bill as it says it has access to emails, facebook, youtube well the internet really or does it come free??

and last of all as i do not have one are they any good? i have heard that there are great and to be fair they seem very good, and it also seems itwould be the end of the world should he not have one  :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:44 am

save your money and give him an apple, an orange and a new penny.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 am

Graham, My daughter has one and I had the same concerns as you, however, they can use facebook by syncing the ipod  to your wireless router if you have one. With regard to games, you have to set up an itunes account (easy to do and free) you can then either go to the itunes store or the easier way is to download them using the apps button on the ipod. There are alot of games that are free and even more you have to pay for. They vary from 59p to about £5.99. You will also have to download facebook and twitter apps from itunes to access them as well. Hope this makes sence.. PM me if you want anymore info.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:hi all

any chance a few of you have an ipod touch? my lad has just come out with the fact he wants one for xmas, that's fine but it has to be the new one (3rd gen) and have god knows what already on it for him to play with on xmas day?? 

what i wanted to know is how easy is it to down load games and stuff on to them and how much does it cost, also does he well me really need to sign up to a monthly bill as it says it has access to emails, facebook, youtube well the internet really or does it come free??

and last of all as i do not have one are they any good? i have heard that there are great and to be fair they seem very good, and it also seems itwould be the end of the world should he not have one  :D

I have an iphone 3gs which is basically the ipod touch but with additional functionality.
In terms of getting content onto the device you will need to sync it with itunes and load your stuff on there. BTW If you want to play your own vidoes then you will need some sort of encoding program. There are tonnes out there.....  Otherwise videos you get of the itunes store will already be pre encoded.
As far as downloading goes it has WIFI built in so you can connect to any router you have access to for free and use that to download from either the itunes store or app store as well as youtube. There is no monthly bill for an ipod. That refers to a phone contract....

If he really wants one I would maybe think of getting an iphone 3G on PAYG. That way he get's his calling allowance via top ups and he also gets a WIFI allowance via BT Openzone or The Cloud which are pretty much all over the country. Or if you are really feeling generous get him one on a contract in your name.

Me personally I love mine and don't leave home without it. Also bear in mind that you need to have a registered debit/credit card associated with your itunes account for purchasing ect...
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 pm

ste123lfc wrote:Graham, My daughter has one and I had the same concerns as you, however, they can use facebook by syncing the ipod  to your wireless router if you have one. With regard to games, you have to set up an itunes account (easy to do and free) you can then either go to the itunes store or the easier way is to download them using the apps button on the ipod. There are alot of games that are free and even more you have to pay for. They vary from 59p to about £5.99. You will also have to download facebook and twitter apps from itunes to access them as well. Hope this makes sence.. PM me if you want anymore info.

cheers for that mate, i do have wireless so that part will be fine, as for the face book thing well he is only 9 so i would say he doesn't need that anyway, it's good to know that the games and stuff doesn't cost that much

i will be on to you as soon as i can't do anything on it when i get it  :D  :D

cheers buddy
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:06 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:
ste123lfc wrote:Graham, My daughter has one and I had the same concerns as you, however, they can use facebook by syncing the ipod  to your wireless router if you have one. With regard to games, you have to set up an itunes account (easy to do and free) you can then either go to the itunes store or the easier way is to download them using the apps button on the ipod. There are alot of games that are free and even more you have to pay for. They vary from 59p to about £5.99. You will also have to download facebook and twitter apps from itunes to access them as well. Hope this makes sence.. PM me if you want anymore info.

cheers for that mate, i do have wireless so that part will be fine, as for the face book thing well he is only 9 so i would say he doesn't need that anyway, it's good to know that the games and stuff doesn't cost that much

i will be on to you as soon as i can't do anything on it when i get it  :D  :D

cheers buddy

If he is into footy he will no doubt soon be asking for Fifa 10 - 5.99.  :D Great game though.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 pm

bavlondon wrote:

I have an iphone 3gs which is basically the ipod touch but with additional functionality.
In terms of getting content onto the device you will need to sync it with itunes and load your stuff on there. BTW If you want to play your own vidoes then you will need some sort of encoding program. There are tonnes out there.....  Otherwise videos you get of the itunes store will already be pre encoded.
As far as downloading goes it has WIFI built in so you can connect to any router you have access to for free and use that to download from either the itunes store or app store as well as youtube. There is no monthly bill for an ipod. That refers to a phone contract....

If he really wants one I would maybe think of getting an iphone 3G on PAYG. That way he get's his calling allowance via top ups and he also gets a WIFI allowance via BT Openzone or The Cloud which are pretty much all over the country. Or if you are really feeling generous get him one on a contract in your name.

Me personally I love mine and don't leave home without it. Also bear in mind that you need to have a registered debit/credit card associated with your itunes account for purchasing ect...

i did wonder if that was what he meant to start with (iphone that is) but he said he wanted the touch one so i will have to speak with him to make sure he knows that it is more or less the same thing but it also has the phone as well

when you start talking about openzone or the cloud you loss me ha

cheers mate again if i get some questions i will be on to you

as for fifa oh yes he will want that straight away he is football mad
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm

i know its none of my business really, mate - but if my son was 9 years old and told me he'd only settle for an iPod touch at a couple of hundred quid and it just had to have this and that and the other on it, i'd probably tell him where to get off. what's he going to be asking for when he's 10??

if you do get it though, you should probably make sure its insured. that way you're ready for when the 13 year olds take it off him.
Last edited by andy_g on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:32 pm

andy_g wrote:i know its none of my business really, mate - but if my son was 9 years old and told me he'd only settle for an iPod touch at a couple of hundred quid and it just had to have this and that and the other on it, i'd probably tell him where to get off. what's he going to be asking for when he's 10??

if you do get it though, you should probably make sure its insured. that way you're ready for when the 13 year olds take it off him.

i know where you are coming from mate but this is a come down he wanted a laptop to start with ha, which i did tell him to a running jump for

i don't mind him having it as to be fair he does (normaly) look after his stuff, he has never been in to breaking his things he did drop his psp once and cried for bloody ages and he never even damaged it

i think it has come from a friend in school whos family are very well off so he wants to keep up
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

i did wonder if that was what he meant to start with (iphone that is) but he said he wanted the touch one so i will have to speak with him to make sure he knows that it is more or less the same thing but it also has the phone as well

when you start talking about openzone or the cloud you loss me ha

cheers mate again if i get some questions i will be on to you

as for fifa oh yes he will want that straight away he is football mad

O2 have a partnership with The Cloud and BT to provide WIFI in public places.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:00 pm

GRAHAM01 wrote:
andy_g wrote:i know its none of my business really, mate - but if my son was 9 years old and told me he'd only settle for an iPod touch at a couple of hundred quid and it just had to have this and that and the other on it, i'd probably tell him where to get off. what's he going to be asking for when he's 10??

i know where you are coming from mate but this is a come down he wanted a laptop to start with ha, which i did tell him to a running jump for

i don't mind him having it as to be fair he does (normaly) look after his stuff, he has never been in to breaking his things he did drop his psp once and cried for bloody ages and he never even damaged it

i think it has come from a friend in school whos family are very well off so he wants to keep up

With the release of the 3GS the 3G model has come down in price somewhat and may well come down in price some more come xmas.

There is also talk of a new ipod touch with a camera due to be released sometime during Q4 so the 3rd gen one may come down in price.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:18 pm

bavlondon wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:

With the release of the 3GS the 3G model has come down in price somewhat and may well come down in price some more come xmas.

There is also talk of a new ipod touch with a camera due to be released sometime during Q4 so the 3rd gen one may come down in price.

oh right cheers mate i will wait off for a little while then and see what happens
nice one
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:43 pm

bavlondon wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:

Can you get them shipped from the States over here (UK or in my case, Ireland) ? I know a few years ago there were issues with shipping iPods from the US into the EU and you had to pay Customs Duties...that's assuming the lads in the office didn't nick it on you !!

Any idea how much they are in $ ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Big Niall » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:19 pm

I got an itouch in the states last year and it worked out at about €80 cheaper (exchange rate was about $1.60 then). I asked about the iphone but they could only sell them if I got a contract with the American phone company that had the license.

So, get an itouch if you are there, but not an iphone.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Big Niall wrote:I got an itouch in the states last year and it worked out at about €80 cheaper (exchange rate was about $1.60 then). I asked about the iphone but they could only sell them if I got a contract with the American phone company that had the license.

So, get an itouch if you are there, but not an iphone.

Cheers mate....

I just did a quick check. $200 for a basic 8Gb iPod Touch....At that price, I'll be asking Santa's little (female) helperfor a little something extra to soften the blow  :D

Still a bit much for an 8 year old for Crimbo methinks anyway...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Next

Return to General Chat Forum