How do you get around office politics?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby tubby » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm

I am so :censored: off today. Went for a new job within the same company im at now and only done so as I was told to by someone senior but I found out it went to someone else and it's down to office politics!! Some :censored: bigwig who gave me the no.

:angry:

I was enjoying working here but now my whole perception has changed. How the :censored: do I get around office politics? It's not right.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:55 pm

you can either kiss major a$$ and move up, or stay true and find it harder to move up.

im not bad at my job but i wont do the politics so will never get promoted, no matter how awesome i am
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 pm

dawson99 wrote:you can either kiss major a$$ and move up, or stay true and find it harder to move up.

im not bad at my job but i wont do the politics so will never get promoted, no matter how awesome i am

It might also help if you did a bit of work now and then Dawson   :D
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:07 pm

s@int wrote:
dawson99 wrote:you can either kiss major a$$ and move up, or stay true and find it harder to move up.

It might also help if you did a bit of work now and then Dawson   :D

touche
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:52 pm

bavlondon wrote:I was enjoying working here but now my whole perception has changed. How the :censored: do I get around office politics? It's not right.

Work hard , buy the company and get rid of the deadwood..
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:41 am

AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother...ker in the room, accept no substitutes.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:42 am

bavlondon wrote:I am so :censored: off today. Went for a new job within the same company im at now and only done so as I was told to by someone senior but I found out it went to someone else and it's down to office politics!! Some :censored: bigwig who gave me the no.

:angry:

I was enjoying working here but now my whole perception has changed. How the :censored: do I get around office politics? It's not right.

the reaction maybe an indication
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:11 am

laza wrote:AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every mother...ker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Not that im a psycho or anything but that does sound satisfying on some levels  :eyebrow

The thing that gets me is now that I see this figure trying to stand in my way ive lost all motivation to work. Now I know how Dawson feels.  :p

Im still really :censored: off.
Last edited by tubby on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:33 pm

How long have you been there Bav mate ?

I have been in my job for about 7 years, took me ages before my face seemed to fit and i got moved up.
Just one of them things in every job where if someone's face fits they get promotions etc.
I went for a promotion i felt i deserved about 3-4 years ago and never got it. I reacted badly and was demotivated for the next year and wasted a year, as our payrise is performance based.
It was stupid of me and held me back at the time.

As i said i have since been promoted and things are good now.

If you liked where you work before this i would say get your head down and play the game mate. If you react badly like i did (and you are not going to move to another company) then it will get you nowhere and prevent you getting a promotion anytime soon.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:21 pm

I have been there 2 years mate and have had small pay rises along the way but this was a big step up. The silly thing is the head of dept was the one who told me to go for it in the first place and that they thought I could do it so I applied and got myself in that frame of mind. But later I find out the no came down from someone higher up. So it's like is it even worth hanging around if I have that person potentially blocking me.

I'm off for a few days next week thank :censored: but when I get back I want to feed back to her exactly what I thought of the reasons presented to me for not getting it. The reasons they gave made no sense and were contrived. Basically there has been a reshuffle at work so there were various positions that people were applying for.

Another guy who was going for one of those other roles received feedback on a question he wasn't even asked in his interview. So I get the impression this was all planned and I got a no. Either that or I was also strung alone. In terms of work I know I was the best guy for the job, when it comes to operational queries everyone normally comes to me to advise as I know all areas so well. That's what makes it all the more bitter.

My perception of the company and management has done a 180 and I think I am bordering on depression. I take my work seriously so when things like this happen it's a real kick in the teeth. I have come to a decision to focus my efforts on looking for a new job elsewhere but until I find something suitable ill just grit my teeth and keep doing my thing here. It's driving me nuts though, I spent yesterday evening drafting how I am going to structure my argument to my managers manager next week. And I couldn't sleep all night either, I kept thinking of other things to include.

I'm basically gonna pick their whole their whole argument apart and lay it on the table for them to see what :censored: idiots they have been.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Thats work for you,  and being an employee and all that.

Thats why I prefer being an entrepreneur, risky but you don't have to worry what your boss say because your the boss and you are even more motivated to make success.

However, sometimes it doesn't work out.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 pm

metalhead wrote:Thats work for you,  and being an employee and all that.

Thats why I prefer being an entrepreneur, risky but you don't have to worry what your boss say because your the boss and you are even more motivated to make success.

Entrepreneur my ringpiece . More like dole lite  lash .  :D

Only kidding metalhead lad .

Does one need to be rich in the first place to be an entepreneur?
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:20 am

Isnt entrepreneur just a posh way of saying dodgy businessman :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 am

all I know from a legal perspective is that you're not supposed to be interviewed by someone who knows you
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
metalhead wrote:Thats work for you,  and being an employee and all that.

Entrepreneur my ringpiece . More like dole lite  lash .  :D

Only kidding metalhead lad .

Does one need to be rich in the first place to be an entepreneur?

:laugh:

I don't think you need to be rich for that, you just need to have the brains, motivation and luck to make your business a success.

And no, it is not a dodgy business man, just a wacko with big dreams kind of business man :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum