Goal: newcastle movie - Wtf?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby anti-hero » Sun May 07, 2006 5:52 am

I think some of you may have heard of this before, seeing as the movie was released (correct me if I'm wrong) some time ago in your particular part of the world.

But for the benefit of other posters who may have not heard about it, the movie's about a teenager living in L.A who impressed a scout from Newcastle and earned a trial at St. James' Park. This movie is apparently the first of a trilogy which will later chronicle the player's ups and downs which would eventually lead to World Cup glory.

Now I'm fine with a good football movie but really, Newcastle?

Why the hell should it be Newcastle?

The movie's all set for release in the United States in a couple of weeks but I'm truly concerned about something.

Dont get me wrong.

I have nothing against Newcastle.

What I'm really concerned about is the lack of representation Liverpool gets in the United States.

Contrary to what many think, not all Americans think that football sucks and that their version of "football" is a "real" sport. Lots of Americans do in fact follow football and many support their own favorite team.

What alarms me is the recognition other teams get.

A lot of my friends who I play with in school support the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, CHELSEA, MANCHESTER, Arsenal and of course, their local Chivas and America and Los Angeles Galaxy.

But once "Liverpool" is mentioned, many are left with a blank expression and the inevitable, "huh?"

You'd think that us winning the Champions League last year would have helped. I came into school the following day happy like crazy, telling all my friends who I played with and all they had to say was,

"Champions League?"

"Yeah."

"You mean the team who came back from 3 goals?"

"Yeah Yeah! That's the one."

"Oh. .. So that's their name."

"Yeah. You heard of them before? Seen them play?"

"Not really. Never even heard of them. See ya later."

Its just UNBELIEVABLE how a team, with LFC's history, with LFC's accomplishments, cannot even be recognized in this part of the world.

It just disappoints me so to see the likes of Man U, Chelsea and Real Madrid worn on their backs and not even a glimpse of the famous Red strip we all love and revere.

Manchester United is the more prominently known here because of numerous cameo appearances in Hollywood movies, namely, Euro Trip (hooligans) and The Day after Tomorrow. Not to mention its owner, Malcolm Glazer who also owns an NFL franchise team.

And Real Madrid and Barcelona who have a massive following in the millions of Latinos who live and work in the United States.

Liverpool has to try and gain a following here.

It would obviously be for the better. Liverpool has to make itself a bigger brand than it already is. In my opinion, the success of a club obviously depends a great great deal on the pitch, but in the modern times we live in now, further emphasis has to be placed on matters off it.

We have to destroy the monopoly the richer clubs have over America. Its time for the Red invasion. The Rafa revolution, to come over and stake a claim.

Its about time we saw a sea of Red awash ashore on the beaches of Venice. Its about time we saw an army of Red, dancing in the streets. Its about time we saw red on their backs. Its about time we bring the dominance of our adversaries to its knees.

BIG UP LIVERPOOL.  :buttrock
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Sun May 07, 2006 6:07 am

I appreciate your concerns,but I think Liverpool have missed the boat.The US  may have been considered an untapped market at one time but not any longer.How many Americans will watch the World cup or be able to name 2 players in their national football team.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Sun May 07, 2006 6:17 am

The Red Baron wrote:I appreciate your concerns,but I think Liverpool have missed the boat.The US  may have been considered an untapped market at one time but not any longer.How many Americans will watch the World cup or be able to name 2 players in their national football team.

youd be surprised mate, i was in the US during the 94 world cup and i stayed at a family home in Michigan. the street was well up for the games that were being played, and at the final there was a feild with a giant screen hooked up and there must have been around 200/300 people watching it. but i didnt ask if they could name the full US team, but a week or so after the final i travelled upto Colorado and me and my mates were camping at a campsite  ???  and we met some people (Girls) and they asked us where we were from and i said that we came from Bulgaria and we were some of the team and i said that i was Stoichkov <<<spelling. so there me with a welsh accent acting to be a bulgarian football player, and they actualy fell for it and asked for my autograph, twas funny at the time lmao  :bump  :rasp
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sun May 07, 2006 6:36 am

Red wrote:
The Red Baron wrote:I appreciate your concerns,but I think Liverpool have missed the boat.The US  may have been considered an untapped market at one time but not any longer.How many Americans will watch the World cup or be able to name 2 players in their national football team.

youd be surprised mate, i was in the US during the 94 world cup and i stayed at a family home in Michigan. the street was well up for the games that were being played, and at the final there was a feild with a giant screen hooked up and there must have been around 200/300 people watching it. but i didnt ask if they could name the full US team, but a week or so after the final i travelled upto Colorado and me and my mates were camping at a campsite  ???  and we met some people (Girls) and they asked us where we were from and i said that we came from Bulgaria and we were some of the team and i said that i was Stoichkov <<<spelling. so there me with a welsh accent acting to be a bulgarian football player, and they actualy fell for it and asked for my autograph, twas funny at the time lmao  :bump  :rasp

The only reason why Americans showed interest in World Cup 94 was cos they hosted it, they had some ok players like Roy Wegley, Kobe Jones, Alexi Llass (probably spelt them all wrong) but Liverpool aren't a glitsey/glamourous team like the Chelsea and Man U who have loads of money and are a 'franchise' and a 'brand' rather than just a team like we are  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun May 07, 2006 7:05 am

i believe liverpool were approached to be the club in the movie but we refused as we had other commitments, such as playing football so they approached newcastle
112-1077774096

Postby anti-hero » Sun May 07, 2006 7:34 am

:D

Have you guys seen it?
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:43 am

I heard that as part of the trilogy, Liverpool would feature in the 2nd part and Real Madrid inn the 3rd. Oh well, it was a cr@p movie anyway which was only worth watching to find out how bad footballers are at acting.

I was in the States for the first part of Japan/Korea and there was a lot of interest in it and it was a fixture in the sports bars. American sponsors and TV networks actually asked Fifa if the game could be player in quarters because they couldn't work out how to get their commercials in. Fifa laughed them out the building so they eventually just used a mini screen to get their ad-money.

Liverpool hasn't done that bad over the pond. 51st State was a success on some scales and that featured Liverpool getting one over on Man Utd. Canadians know their "soccer" a bit more and Liverpool aren't exactly an obscurity with the Kanucks.

The ship certainly hasn't sailed ad there are some very simple ways to gain popularity. Parry has already got us sponsoring a network of elite training camps throughout the States which puts our names on the kids' tongues, but also it puts the brand into the communities. Other easy steps include sponsorship/parentship of some MLS clubs (just as Chelsea have done), a PR tour in the summer and more film appearances which can be bought relatively cheaply. But when you go over there, wear your shirt and when people ask about it, teach them about the majesty, history, traditions and legends of the club over a pint of the local brew. And if all fails, tell them that Liverpool is where the Beatles come from.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:01 am

peewee wrote:i believe liverpool were approached to be the club in the movie but we refused as we had other commitments, such as playing football so they approached newcastle

:laugh: bullseye!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:02 am

TBH anti-hero the people who didn't know who Liverpool was in your story are both ignorant and not real football fans. Anyone who follows football in any country in the world knows who Liverpool FC are.

It's nothing that the club has done wrong, just the ignorance that exists amongst the people you mention. How can these so-called "football fans" be so stupid not to even know one of the teams who was playing in the Euroepan Cup final, one of the biggest games in the world.

When you next speak to these people, tell them to follow another sport as they obviously have no idea about the world game.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:48 am

newcastle was mainly chosen as it is a club which wasnt up to much else lol.

its quite a cool movie and im glad it wasnt about us as it woulda ruined the film. its a trilogy but the 2nd part will be ral madrid and the 3rd part will be the world cup. the bizarre thing is that the way they timed it the 3rd part wont be out for like 18 m,onths so they missed the world cup boat big time.

its also newcastle as it had to show the gritty side of england and football and where is more gritty than newcastle? hehe

there u go.
oh, and anna friels in it with a real bizarre accent
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:54 am

dawson99 wrote:oh, and anna friels in it with a real bizarre accent

she must be about 50 now

:D
112-1077774096

Postby dawson99 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:58 am

shes 29 actually! and shes still kinda nice, i would... :p

oh, and alittle scoop on goal 2 and 3 - steve mcmanaman has been signed up to play a role, i think hes the assitant coach or something, and the casting for goal 2 is the entire real madrid squad.
Last edited by dawson99 on Sun May 07, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun May 07, 2006 1:09 pm

Didn't Miramax want to invest and make a film about us?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:27 pm

i know macca is advising them on the realism of football life, and are you sure she is only 29, it seems like 20 years since she kissed that ginger bird in brookside
112-1077774096

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun May 07, 2006 9:00 pm

the yanks can go fuck themselves if they aint heard of us, its actually better that way. I for one don't want americans coming over here and making things even worse in Anfield. Stick to baseball :laugh:
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum