For all windows users :) - Another computer geek topic

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:17 pm

For all miserable, spyware, virus catching Winblows XP users :)
Look at what Linux desktop can look like - system is free, all applications free, no spyware, no viruses, pure stability :)
Gotta love that system :)
No Winblows for me for over 6 months now :)
Last edited by Pablo_Escobar on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:55 pm

I've just downloaded internet explorer 7 beta version from Microsoft,not impressed at all and i cant delete the bástard.......:angry:
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:10 pm

phil, download netscape and use that, its much better than explorer and has its own anti spyware
112-1077774096

Postby Gaunt » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Or Mozilla Firefox, my fave browser.
Gaunt

Postby H_K_LFC » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:02 pm

I use Firefox and never had any problems
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:01 pm

To uninstall IE 7.......go to add or remove Programs and at the top right there is a place to click to Show Updates .....Put a check in that box and all updates made will show......scroll down to ..........Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview ..........click on it and then there is a REMOVE button on the right!!! Hope That Helps ya!
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:05 pm

Mikz wrote:To uninstall IE 7.......go to add or remove Programs and at the top right there is a place to click to Show Updates .....Put a check in that box and all updates made will show......scroll down to ..........Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview ..........click on it and then there is a REMOVE button on the right!!! Hope That Helps ya!

cheers matey.......i've done it.......you must have looked in the same place as me.... :)
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:12 am

Pablo_Escobar wrote:For all miserable, spyware, virus catching Winblows XP users :)
Look at what Linux desktop can look like - system is free, all applications free, no spyware, no viruses, pure stability :)
Gotta love that system :)
No Winblows for me for over 6 months now :)

Obviously its a new OS but, Would i have to remove XP from my system and load it then or just install it over windoes Xp?

and if i did use Linex is it possible to swap back to XP easily and safely?
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:24 am

Red wrote:Obviously its a new OS but, Would i have to remove XP from my system and load it then or just install it over windoes Xp?

If You're worried about the XP You can dowload LiveCD f.e. Ubuntu Live CD (Ubuntu is very user friendly Linux distribution).
Burn it to the CD, boot the system from that CD and it will load to RAM without touching HDD and thus Windows.
This test drive will be somewhat limited with speed (all operations from CD) and functionality, but You can safely look around.
Then if You decide to install it, prepare two empty partitions (one for data, one for swap), install the Ubuntu, and it will also install a bootloader, which at every boot will let You choose if You want to run Windows or Linux.
Many people dual-boot (Linux for everyday work, Windows for games).
IMHO LiveCD is a good way to start and see what Linux is all about :)
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:26 am

Pablo_Escobar wrote:
Red wrote:Obviously its a new OS but, Would i have to remove XP from my system and load it then or just install it over windoes Xp?

If You're worried about the XP You can dowload LiveCD f.e. Ubuntu Live CD (Ubuntu is very user friendly Linux distribution).
Burn it to the CD, boot the system from that CD and it will load to RAM without touching HDD and thus Windows.
This test drive will be somewhat limited with speed (all operations from CD) and functionality, but You can safely look around.
Then if You decide to install it, prepare two empty partitions (one for data, one for swap), install the Ubuntu, and it will also install a bootloader, which at every boot will let You choose if You want to run Windows or Linux.
Many people dual-boot (Linux for everyday work, Windows for games).
IMHO LiveCD is a good way to start and see what Linux is all about :)

:Oo:

ill just stick to windows thanks seems to much hassle, im afarid i will blow my street up if i start to mess with OS on the p.c.

thansk for taking time to reply so quick.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 am

My Powerbook turns up tomorrow, which will be running virus and spyware free :;):

I've got Fedora 5 (linux) on DVD to install on it :)

Long live Mac & Linux
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum