Football's great conspiracy theories

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby lakes10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:48 pm

after seeing and being at some strange results over the years, football conspiracy is somthing i have always looked at.

Is there any games you can think of that could have been a conspiracy, not just the team you like gets beat but there is a bigger reason as to why things happend before during the game.

heres a few that are easy to find on the web.

Liverpool v Inter Milan, 1965:
Leading 3-1 from the first leg at Anfield, Bill Shankly's side were beaten 3-0 in front of 90,000 at the San Siro in what one Liverpool director referred to as evidence that "they are never going to let a British team win the European Cup." Ian St John saw one legitimate goal chalked off, while Spanish referee Jose Maria Oritz de Mendibil allowed two controversial Inter goals to stand.

Anderlecht v Nottingham Forest, 1984:
The only proven case of bribery affecting an English team's progression in Europe. Clough's Forest side won the first leg at the City Ground 2-0 only to lose 3-0 in Belgium, with a controversial goal ruled out. Anderlecht later admitted they had paid Spanish official Emilio Guruceta Muro £20,000 as "a loan" before the game

Leeds Utd v AC Milan, 1973:
A European Cup Winners' Cup final dominated by strange decisions from Greek referee Christos Michas, Norman Hunter being harshly dismissed and two Leeds penalty appeals turned away. The Greek FA later found Michas guilty of match-fixing in relation to events in the game and he was banned for life by Uefa.

the Leeds one is the most shocking, i saw this a year or so ago and its so funny, you would think that if you had been paid to make sure a team wins then you could do a better way of hiding it.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Mick likes his conspiracy theories, posted up a corker last night :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby lakes10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Greavesie wrote:Mick likes his conspiracy theories, posted up a corker last night :D

:D
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Wasnt the Marseille v AC Milan one fixed? Bernard Tapie being the culprit. Marseille then got dropped from the top flight in france. Which was daft really as the players they had at that time were pretty good and didnt need help from Tapie to get results. Cost the club all there best players.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:11 am

I add entire reign of Fergie at ManU, definately some sort of plot orchestrated by the strong Prawn sandwich making lobby
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum