Football bets - Another way to lose money?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:56 am

In Spain there's not tradition of bets whatsoever, in fact betting was forbidden during the dictatorship of Franco.

I entered the world of betting a year ago, with 30€ and one year later I have 33.75€. I promised myself that I wouldn't put more money than those 30 € if I lost that money.

I've made my maths and I think that actually winning in football bets is difficult.

What do you think? what are your experiences on this? do you think it's easier to lose money rather than winning ? any tips?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:15 pm

Losers game brother. I usually do the traditional 'one from each section' on the normal bookie docket, and this past few weeks -one team has let me down.  I really think it would help if I knew more about the form in the lower leagues .

However..saying that, my mate just picks 6 teams and does an accumulator, and he is successful more times than not . :angry:

It has very difficult brother, but im sure there are a few ways or different kinds of bet that could be easier.

tip of the day- keep yer money in yer pocket. :;):
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:26 pm

ive had a few quid off Betfair in the past using the one off specials etc. Nothing to write home about though. Most of my luck has come from the Nags or the dogs. Or by recon-ing the Bandits  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:50 pm

I think betting is dangerous if you plan to win money with it. That's why I auto limited the amount of money I'd ever use in bets. TO be honest, it has been fun in the sense that any games in which I was neutral, I placed a bet and the game was more interesting to watch. Other than that, I think only people who knows a lot, or studies the stats a lot, can win some money. Most of the people will lose money. I agree Mikz's tip, keep the money in the pocket.

But I thought that there was a huge tradition of betting in England and that's why I was curious to read your thoughts.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:05 pm

I've probably bet about €150 on football over the last two years and have broken about even (mainly due to having $20 on Zizou to score first in the WC Final!). I think if you are smart and bet on good odds you can do ok out of it, but human nature dictates that our stomachs are usually bigger than our heads.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:08 pm

but human nature dictates that our stomachs are usually bigger than our heads.

So True, but since I'm Steve Bruce, no problemo :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:09 pm

In that case I recommend you bet the farm on Watford to storm the league this season.  :D
Last edited by LFC #1 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Football betting is notoriously difficult, the odds are generally rubbish and don't make it worthwhile. For a regular bettor, accumulators seem to be the best way. It's so hard to win big unless you have a punt on maybe a giant killing in the cup or similar......?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 pm

I do quite well out of bets!I stick to the rule of doing no more than 4 in an accumalator.I also stay well away from correct scores or scorecasts...they are bigger odds yes but they are bigger because they are very hard to predict.

Even when picking 4 teams its still not easy..
Last week i took Bolton away,Derby away and UTD away..they all won my other team was LFC and we all know what happened there!

Theres no harm in a bet every weekend as long as you set a limit and stick to it,if you are only betting ten or twenty quid a week you dont miss it and its always nice when you win!
66-1120597113

Postby peterc1992 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:25 pm

I get my father to do Gerrrard every week for me.He does alot of betting,i do horses sometimes with him on the big races but mostly on football,the bes thing is i ge the money afterwards and he pays for the bet.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:07 pm

The horses are worse. Its not too bad if you walk in , with 3 or 4 already picked out. but when ya stand in the bookies and look at this write up and another tipster and the man beside you -ya end up totally confused .
And as for the dogs :no Thats just a lottery, and a fast lottery at that.
I remember my wife sending me out for potatoes one day, and I nipped in for a wee quick bet. Ended up blowin the whole wage packet, hadnt even enough left for the spuds. :oops:

I know youre on a loser the minute ya walk through that door. There are people who do get lucky , but they usually give it all back...thyeve even added a poker machine and a roulette machine to keep ya busy between races - :D greedy basti.ds
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:22 am

It's a mugs game if you ask me.

I've had literally 3 bets in my life that I can recall:

2 on consecutive Grand Nationals cos my Mum and Dad said "Have a quid on one", so I did (a 100-1 shot, and a 125-1 shot, no less), (My dad placed the bet on my behalf), and I had a little flutter on a lower division side to win (can't remember who) when I went to see my mate who worked in Ladbrokes a few years back.

F*ck betting. I'd sooner put £10 per week in the bank and know that I'll have about £530 (with interest) come the end of the year.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Put a couple of hundred on alonso to score within his own half next year. That will win ya some big money. :D
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum