Farewell to brian clough - Tributes

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:01 pm

From BBC sport

Legendary former Nottingham Forest and Derby County boss Brian Clough has died from stomach cancer at the age of 69.
Clough, who suffered ill-health for many years and had a liver transplant in 2003, died in Derby City hospital.

Clough won successive European Cups with Forest in 1979 and 1980, and also won the League with Forest and Derby.

He was famous for his eccentric approach, but Clough was one of the most respected bosses in the game, bowing out of management in 1993.

A spokeswoman for Derby City Hospital said: "It is with the deepest sadness that we announce that Brian Clough has died peacefully at the age of 69.

"Brian was an in-patient at Derby City General Hospital, and his family were with him when he passed away in hospital on September 20."

On behalf of the Clough family, she said: "The family would like to express their heartfelt thanks to Dr Jan Freeman and the staff of Ward 30 for the wonderful care they gave him.

"They would also like to thank the donor family for allowing Brian to have 21 months of health and happiness.

"The family would naturally appreciate privacy at this sad time, and kindly ask members of the media to respect this."

Nottingham Forest chairman Nigel Doughty said it was a sad day for the club.

"The success he had here goes down as one of the great football achievements of all time," he told Forest's official website.

"Wherever you go in the world, the city of Nottingham has become synonymous with Robin Hood and Brian Clough and there is no doubt he has touched the lives of so many people in the area.

"His record of success is quite staggering and when he first took over as manager in 1975 no-one could begin to even dream at the levels of success he was about to bring to this club.

Cloughie is the greatest English manager ever, he saw things that nobody else could see, that was his beauty

"Our thoughts at this time are with his family but everyone at Nottingham Forest will have memories of a man who brought unprecedented success to this club."

Derby County chief executive Jeremy Keith said Clough was part of the heritage of the club.

"He was this club's greatest-ever manager and, in the eyes of Rams supporters, the best the world has ever seen," he told Derby's official website.

"Under Brian, Derby County were crowned champions of England and we welcomed top-class European opposition to the Baseball Ground.

"The contribution he made, not just to Derby County, but to the county itself will remain as a lasting legacy to the man who had made Derby his home for the past 30 years."

Clough began his football career at his home-town club Middlesbrough and later joined Sunderland.

In a successful career, he scored an amazing 251 goals in 274 games, also winning two caps for England.

A knee injury forced him to retire early from playing, but Clough enjoyed a rapid rise as a manager.

After becoming Hartlepool boss at 30 - then the youngest manager in the league - Clough moved to Derby, taking them to the Division One title in 1972.

Clough moved to Forest in 1975, after short spells at Leeds and Brighton, and it was at the City Ground that he cemented his reputation as a brilliant, unconventional manager during an 18-year reign.

Another league title in 1978 was followed by two successive European Cups and four League Cups.

Clough remained with Forest until 1993, stepping down after their relegation from the top division.

His later years were blighted by ill-health, and Clough adopted a much lower profile - although he did make occasional appearances in the media which proved he had lost little of his vitriolic tongue and eccentric manner.

And he remained a tremendously popular figure in the game, even two decades after his prime.

CLOUGH FACTFILE
1935: Born in Middlesbrough
1955: Playing debut for Boro
1962: Quits after knee injury
1967: Becomes Derby boss
1972: Wins first league title
1975: Joins Nottingham Forest
1977: Promoted to Div One
1978: Wins league title
1979: Takes European Cup
1980: Retains European Cup
1993: Leaves Forest
Last edited by who the hell is diarra on Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:04 pm

Just want to add my own tribute  to a great manager. He apologised for his earlier commemts on Hillsborough and has admitted he was wrong and should be forgiven for them. A sad loss for Football.
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:02 pm

Nice touch  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:52 am

RIP mate you were a legend

Roberts
82-1074641017

Postby greenred » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:29 am

Clough led the only challenge to Liverpool dominance in over twenty years of football.His Forest team of the late seventies were almost unbeatable.That Forest team won the EC two years running,what an achievment.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:41 am

i remember when he was applying for the ireland job, he said it was easy to get to ireland, you just have to walk accross the irish sea.    :D

RIP old bighead
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:42 am

i just read that again and it seems insincere, its not mant that way. seriously he wasa  good manager and RIP
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:14 am

thought you may  enjoy these

Brian Clough was never stuck for words. The manager dubbed "Old Big Head" had a magnificent lexicon of sayings. Here's some of his best...

On himself: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

On his nickname: "On occasions I have been big-headed. I think most people are when they get in the limelight. I call myself Big Head just to remind myself not to be."

On passing to feet: "If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

On foreign players in the British game: "I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball? He might grab mine."

On the number of French players at Arsenal: "I bet their dressing room will smell of garlic rather than liniment over the next few months"

On a streaker who appeared during a Derby v Manchester United game: "The Derby players have seen more of his balls than the one they're meant to be playing with."

On dealing with Roy Keane: "I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

On his drinking: "Walk on water? I know most people out there will be saying that instead of walking on it, I should have taken more of it with my drinks. They are absolutely right."

On dealing with a player who disagrees: "We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right."

On not getting the England manager's job: "I'm sure the England selectors thought if they took me on and gave me the job, I'd want to run the show. They were shrewd, because that's exactly what I would have done."

On Sir Alex Ferguson's failure to win two successive European Cups: "For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls!"

On women's football: "I like my women to be feminine, not sliding into tackles and covered in mud."

On former England goalkeeper David Seaman: "That Seaman is a handsome young man but he spends too much time looking in his mirror, rather than at the ball. You can't keep goal with hair like that."

On how he would like to be remembered: "I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me."
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:15 am

Another great character is lost. I can only summise that heaven's boot room is THE place to be with Shanks, Paisley and Cloughie talking football :D

RIP
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:46 am

peewee wrote:On himself: "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

On foreign players in the British game: "I can't even spell spaghetti never mind talk Italian. How could I tell an Italian to get the ball? He might grab mine."

On Sir Alex Ferguson's failure to win two successive European Cups: "For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls!"

i seen them on the bbc website there some great ones my favourite has to be

:D
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:18 pm

Just trawling thru and stumbled acroos this one, with no mention of the mans disguisting stance on Liverpool and the hillborough disaster.

Needed saying.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:38 am

disgusting you say?? ???  fill me in man, i dunno what u mean?
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:30 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Just trawling thru and stumbled acroos this one, with no mention of the mans disguisting stance on Liverpool and the hillborough disaster.

Needed saying.

it was mentioned extensivley in the other threads
112-1077774096

Return to General Chat Forum