Facebook, - Why?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 am

The reason I have always frowned upon facebook is for a simple reason. Its Windows messenger but on a lighter level.

I'll explain. Whenever I logged into messenger, people would pop up, and always it was on a routine. E.g.

Chris: hi
Me: hey
Chris:what you up to?
Me:nothing much (already by this time im regretting it. I know whats coming)
Chris: fancy a game of pool on yahoo?
Me: not really, its tedious. (what im really thinking is, no you cheat your backside off with your lousy trainer)
Chris: Im at a BBQ on saturday, should be fun
Me: cool
Chris: Its our supervisor from the factory, hes loaded so I should get wasted from his beer.
Me: Make the most of it I would
Chris: I plan to, my missus is bitching at me because im off out without her again

This is the messenger conversation. Constantly people want something but they cant blurt it out on messenger, on messenger they have to build up to what they want.

Facebook changes everything. Heres how it works on facebook.

Chris has sent you a cucumber for your garden.
Babysit for us yeah?

:angry:

Since my missus has been on facebook I find myself (as does she) doing more favours for these pain in the bums than ever before, but on facebook it requires the most tedious of efforts. Do a favour on a flash game it employs and instantly your in a kind of debt !

No word of a lie, I ended up sorting some lasses computer out without being paid as, and I quote my missus "she built up my garden"

Dear god....
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 am

:D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:02 am

im with you mate i fooking hate facebook, its for nosey :censored:

if i hear another person in work go on about zynga poker ill fooking chin them, "sent you some chips lastnight"

another thing dont ever ever EVER tell anybody if you manage to fix your own computer, i get strangers in the street asking me to look at there laptops :D
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 am

There was nearly a riot at our place when IT blocked facebook over excessive useage! Needless to say only the women in the office noticed or for that matter gave a shit but it was funny as feck as an 'observer'. I gather IT had intended blocking only some users, I wish IT hadn't reversed the universal block and maybe even blocked it altogether from the www

Is that where I see some women going to water gardens and feed their internet pet?!? Of the zillions of uses for the internet, I think women corner the market in the most pointless
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 am

feckin love facebook, me. i don't bother with any of the silly, garden, zoo, farm, aquarium etc etc etc apps, and its easy to hide from the instant chat facility if you want to. i left england over 7 years ago and don't get to see my mates there very often, i've also travelled extensively for work and pleasure so know a lot of people all round the world who i obviously don't get to see so often either. so for me facebook is a great way of keeping up with how people are, what they are doing, have a quick chat know and again and so on. kind of like this place but without the football and i actually know that i like everybody. i also use it for more work orientated networking and announcements. these days and announcement on facebook is almost as effective as an email mail out if i want to advertise something.

and a word of advice for you karhaz. don't be such a feckin soft touch, mate.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:02 am

Am on it, and like andy dont bother with all that sh!te about farms and all that.
Ave caught up with some people from school and old football teams that i had lost track of through the years.

Most people will say....well i didnt speak to those people for a reason  :D
But i think its sound to catch up, and at the end of the day you dont have to log on all the time, just go and catch up with people every now and then.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Im on there and if i dont wanna talk i just put me im off line thing on .

Ben stop poking me lollol
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Im on there and if i dont wanna talk i just put me im off line thing on .

Ben stop poking me lollol

Nan am pokin everything these days  :D
Ben Patrick

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 pm

:laugh:  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:11 pm

I have quite a few mates who live abroad, I find Facebook as a convenient way to keep in contact. Otherwise I don't use it much.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 pm

I like Facebook, but every now and then I have to do a purge and "defriend" people who are irrelevant or just getting on my nerves. I don't bother with any of that garden, pet cr@p either, just use it for staying in touch and organising events, that's what it's brilliant at.
heimdall

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:57 pm

andy_g wrote:feckin love facebook, me. i don't bother with any of the silly, garden, zoo, farm, aquarium etc etc etc apps, and its easy to hide from the instant chat facility if you want to. i left england over 7 years ago and don't get to see my mates there very often, i've also travelled extensively for work and pleasure so know a lot of people all round the world who i obviously don't get to see so often either. so for me facebook is a great way of keeping up with how people are, what they are doing, have a quick chat know and again and so on. kind of like this place but without the football and i actually know that i like everybody. i also use it for more work orientated networking and announcements. these days and announcement on facebook is almost as effective as an email mail out if i want to advertise something.

Agreed.  It's great for staying in touch with people you wouldn't otherwise email/call but are still interested in knowing how they're getting on.  It's especially brilliant if you have friends scattered all over the place.  I do find that, for closer friends, it becomes a lazy default for actual conversation and so I make the effort to get in touch off of FB in order to properly find out what's up with them.  Sometimes the cryptic status updates and one-liners don't give much insight.  Can't be a.rsed with the games or the quizzes or any of that sh!te--I just go on every once and a while to see what people have been getting up to.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:04 pm

feckin love facebook, me. i don't bother with any of the silly, garden, zoo, farm, aquarium etc etc etc apps, and its easy to hide from the instant chat facility if you want to. i left england over 7 years ago and don't get to see my mates there very often, i've also travelled extensively for work and pleasure so know a lot of people all round the world who i obviously don't get to see so often either. so for me facebook is a great way of keeping up with how people are, what they are doing, have a quick chat know and again and so on. kind of like this place but without the football and i actually know that i like everybody. i also use it for more work orientated networking and announcements. these days and announcement on facebook is almost as effective as an email mail out if i want to advertise something.

That's the good part I like.

The bad part is the privacy, I'm pretty sure governments, at least in the country you currently live do have a control of what you are fan of. If you don't believe me, ask the latest ETA terrorist :censored:wits (1), who had seen all their facebook friends investigated.

Of course you could say that those who have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear, but some reports say that enterprises do look your profiles, and say if you are a member of a left winged ideology, then they discard you. I think that's an example of what for facebook shouldn't be used.

(1) You have to be a fúckwit to be a terrorist and have a facebook account.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm at Uni so its comulsory for me :D

I'm never online on the chat thingy, too much small talk for my liking. Good for banter with Uni and work mates tho. Nice to see what some faces from the past are doing now as well
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Sabre wrote:

That's the good part I like.

The bad part is the privacy, I'm pretty sure governments, at least in the country you currently live do have a control of what you are fan of. If you don't believe me, ask the latest ETA terrorist :censored:wits (1), who had seen all their facebook friends investigated.

Of course you could say that those who have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear, but some reports say that enterprises do look your profiles, and say if you are a member of a left winged ideology, then they discard you. I think that's an example of what for facebook shouldn't be used.

(1) You have to be a fúckwit to be a terrorist and have a facebook account.

I think i am a fan of not being on fire so that rules me out of any potential suicide bombings  :D
Ben Patrick

Next

Return to General Chat Forum